Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testosterone levels

Options
  • 26-05-2014 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hi, I had a varicocele and had to have it removed. There's a link between the varicocele affecting testosterone levels. I got my bloods done before the operation. Today the doctor told me that my testosterone was 9.1 and that the recomended levels for someone like me are supposed to be 8-30. So I barely make the grade, i.e low testosterone. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the unit is for these numbers? Is it g/dl? Not looking for medical advice by the way, only the correct terminology.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭osaurus

Nanograms per decilitre or nanomoles per litre depending. If your doc is giving 8 - 30 range he/she is using the nanomoles per litre.

If you're unsure about something your doctor mentions ask them! Happens all too often. Also a quick google search would've yielded the results also.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

You have to ask your doctor for that info as each lab uses/sets their own reference ranges and chooses their own assays. Any answer that you get here or googling would only be a guess.

There should be a slip of paper inyour chart with the info on it. Just call your doctor and ask them to post you a copy of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Thanks guys. I tried the google search but couldn't find a straight answer. Sometimes it's like information overload at the doctor's and you don't get a chance until you've processed what they've said later on, especially if it's bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

kaji wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I tried the google search but couldn't find a straight answer. Sometimes it's like information overload at the doctor's and you don't get a chance until you've processed what they've said later on, especially if it's bad news.

It's very easy to photocopy or get a duplicate report of lab results. The problem with reference ranges is that they are set for other people, not you. A level that is normal for you could be abnormal for someone else. That is why you need to discuss things with an expert on your body, your doctor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Medical issue. Talk to your doctor

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement