Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info and advice needed for college options

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Are you being offered a 4 year course Bsc. Hons in Software Design (Games Development) in AIT?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gtonra

Are you being offered a 4 year course Bsc. Hons in Software Design (Games Development) in AIT?

yes thats the course im getting offered

I'm currently on it, finishing off the last 2-3 weeks of my work placement for 3rd year, about to go into fourth. Ask away I'll tell you what I can.

LIT is letterkenny. I presume that's a game design too (I looked into the exact same two courses)! One thing I'll say about letterkenny...it's a bloody far away place depending on where you're from. Trains / Busses would cost an absolute fortune. My mistake

I've posted about the course previously on boards, I'll see can I dig out those threads but in the meantime feel free to ask and I'll answer as best I can about the AIT one.

I'm currently on it, finishing off the last 2-3 weeks of my work placement for 3rd year, about to go into fourth. Ask away I'll tell you what I can.

LIT is letterkenny. I presume that's a game design too (I looked into the exact same two courses)! One thing I'll say about letterkenny...it's a bloody far away place depending on where you're from. Trains / Busses would cost an absolute fortune.

I've posted about the course previously on boards, I'll see can I dig out those threads but in the meantime feel free to ask and I'll answer as best I can about the AIT one.

cheers lad its Limerick IT is the other one letterkenny was a no go too far is right ,

Q1 is it hard for a lad that hasn't really got any experience in software like would they explain it from the basics or do they expect you to know a load straight away

Q2 what way does the lectures go is it all theory or practical would there be continous assemsments or is it all theory ,

Q3 is it tough with maths ?

Q4 would you be busy every night studyin or would ya have time to be training aswell ?

• Advertisement

gtonra wrote: »
    Q1 is it hard for a lad that hasn't really got any experience in software like would they explain it from the basics or do they expect you to know a load straight away

They expect you to be clueless and approach every subject from the absolute beginning.
    Q2 what way does the lectures go is it all theory or practical would there be continous assemsments or is it all theory ,

It's split. You have lectures (mostly in computer rooms for the computer related subjects) and then you have labs (sit at a computer, do some work).

Continuous Assessments are spread out throughout the year between labs, small tests and projects.
    Q3 is it tough with maths ?

Everybody asks this, and my response is the same...no. I'm not strong at maths I never have been, I done badly in my leaving cert in maths at ordinary level...went on and done a PLC with maths and it was ok, plenty of hand holding and help available and the same goes for the course.

The maths is by no means tough or difficult to pass. The lecturer that covers maths is by far the best I've come across also so that's a huge plus.
    Q4 would you be busy every night studyin or would ya have time to be training aswell ?

No you don't be busy every night. Everything is class based, any study is up to you. It only tends to pick up around exam times and again it's your judgement.

cheers for that stevie looks like i be heading there for 4 yrs so , next thing to sort out is accomadation so , thanks for the help lad

No bother, don't look at anything in willow park unless it's near the top of the estate (closest the college).

Advertisement