Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer Law in the UK - Faulty Good

Options
  • 26-05-2014 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

If I have a faulty good, can I choose a refund over a replacement or repair. I bought a laptop with a guarantee that says that in order to claim a refund my item has to break four times within the year guarantee. The speakers on my laptop stopped working, i sent it back and they repaired it. The screen would not display anything, remaining black when i turned it on, I sent it back and they repaired it. then it stopped charging and they repaired it. My guarantee is going to run out in a few months and I'm afraid that the laptop will break again after the warranty is up. I have repeatedly requested a refund and they refuse to give me one. Unfortunately i don't understand my rights in this situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Small Claims Court ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

lons3 wrote: »
    If I have a faulty good, can I choose a refund over a replacement or repair. I bought a laptop with a guarantee that says that in order to claim a refund my item has to break four times within the year guarantee. The speakers on my laptop stopped working, i sent it back and they repaired it. The screen would not display anything, remaining black when i turned it on, I sent it back and they repaired it. then it stopped charging and they repaired it. My guarantee is going to run out in a few months and I'm afraid that the laptop will break again after the warranty is up. I have repeatedly requested a refund and they refuse to give me one. Unfortunately i don't understand my rights in this situation.

Irish law and the law in England and Wales is almost identical in relation to this. You've a six year limitation period (not a six year warranty) in which to make a claim. Each claim is judged on it's own merits.

Action can be taken using the Irish small claims procedure, and enforced in England.

Note: Scottish law may or may not be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Bepolite wrote: »

Note: Scottish law may or may not be different.

Their contract law is 95% the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

234 wrote: »
    Their contract law is 95% the same.

I'm more worried about their enforcement but I suspect it's no more difficult than here.

Advertisement