Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third Year Geography Modules

Options
  • 26-05-2014 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

I was wondering does anyone here have any advice or experience with regard to choosing third-year Geography modules?

I'm particularly interested in Human geography and the second year modules I really enjoyed were Economic Geography and Urban Geography.

Any advice or insight would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Zipp101 wrote: »
    I was wondering does anyone here have any advice or experience with regard to choosing third-year Geography modules?

I'm particularly interested in Human geography and the second year modules I really enjoyed were Economic Geography and Urban Geography.

Looks like Chris's modules should be your go to then ! Info economy module and planning module ... You should try and get some physical tho too... With the mini thesis or full thesis and field trips all being neither human nor physical it's hard to make up requirements like for teaching and so on..

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

If you enjoyed Economic Geography, sign up for Informational Economy and Regional Development too. My favourite was Regional Development.

Might be worth mixing it up a little too. Have you considered doing GIS or a physical module?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Single Hons Geog student here ( just finished up).

Regional Development (CVA) - Alot of reading required, some aspects are relatively easy to understand and some are more indepth such as the Global production network lectures. Very interesting course which attempts to explain the regional divides in ireland in terms of economic and social development mainly between the west and east. Mainly interested in celtic tiger ireland and the shift to the post fordist flexible mode of production involving the influx of export orientated services and their subsequent over represetation in the greater dublin area compared to the west and border for example.

Informational economy (CVA) - a good course, not as good as regional development but explains the concept above. Alot on the digital economy as lectures revolved around the internet amongst other topics i cannot really remember now.

Global ecosystem pressure (steffanini) - highly reccomened, easy to follow course, not much reading invovled, great lecturer, very informative course involving social issues and physical geography combined i.e. environmental geography and this may open up alot of avenues for furter postgraduate study by introducing you to many hot topics in current ecology and environmental science disciplines such as ecosystem services (how we view the services derived from nature for human benefit).

Key skills - I personally reccomend this, a must for pysical geography heads as will be instrumnetal in helping you get into a physical geog or science orientated post graduate. Gives you something to put on your personal statement such as basic lab skills, field work skills instrumental to a physical geog postgraduate. Be prepared for 4-6 hour shifts on friday afternoons.

GIS - reccomended as this is a lucrative area for geography, possibly our most lucrative area but GIS is quickly becomming taken over by engineering and other disciplines looking to encrouch on our back yard. GIS is quickly losing the G and becomming IS, as other disciplines approach this subject wit little regard for the spatial aspect. Would reccomend this course but it can be hard enough to score high grades, I found the last major task to be very difficult as did most of the class. be prepared to put work in I say!

Climate Change - Reccomended for the climatology heads, I did my thesis on NAO/AO and glacier mass balance so I would be a little bit in favour here :)

Culture health and place- Filler module for me to be honest. Ronan is a good guy but often times he was hard to hear due to people taking in the back (its a very big class for this module up to 100 people +). Interesting topics of which therapeutic landscapes was my favourite. Some people might find the health care systems to be also very interesting especially the problems in Irelands case.

Urban planning - Good course, human geograpy course invovling a one day field trip on a sunday or saturday. Easy to get good marks in this module, reading is not too dificult.

Special topics in geog - Changes yearly, I did oceanography. Loved it so much GIll Scott is a greater lecturer, very interesting course. If oceanography comes up again do it you wont be dissapointed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Dickie10

cheers for this thread im a double honors student so Im only taking 5 optional mod in 3rd year. I did climatology so might go for climate change again, I did rural geo and really liked it. would there be a possibility of something like rural or agriculture based module coming up in the special topics part of the course id lap up anything to do with agri business or environmental side of agriculture or rural as I was going to do ag science originally. would that ecology one fit me. isn't proffesser Gerry Boyle high up in Geography dept? I thought with his background in Teagasc he might have an Agri slant on some geography modules

Advertisement