Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyeing a coat

Options
  • 26-05-2014 11:04am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a cotton corduroy-type summer coat I bought in Oasis a few years ago. It's a bottle-green colour, but along the seams and stitching the colour has started to fade (similar to this coat on EBAY). I was thinking of attempting to dye it to bring it back to life as, apart from the fading, it's perfect. I was just wondering if anyone here could recommend a good dye and where I could get it, or should I just get it professionally done to avoid any problems (recommendations for this would also be appreciated). Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Can you tell us what the label says about the composition of the fabric? If there's a decent level of cotton in it then it should take dye really well. Especially of you're dying it a similar colour to refresh it. I've done this with jeans, jackets, shirts... It's very easy. If there's a lot of elastane or polyester involved that will effect the final colour.

Just look out for Dylon machine dyes. I'd always use the machine dye because it will ensure even coverage. A lot of pharmacies will have a selection of Dylon dyes if there's no haberdasher near you. Follow the instructions on the box (don't skip any steps- make sure you buy a big container of salt for the process!) and you should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Maybe an obvious point, but if the washing instructions say 'dry clean only' you should bring it to dry cleaners and follow their advice for dying it/get them to do it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Thanks for the input, guys.

The fabric is 100% cotton, lining is 100% polyester.

It was after I'd had it dry cleaned that the material along the seams/stitching became faded; that's why I want to dye it. I think they pressed it a little too much, hence the reason I'd be a little hesitant to bring it back to them again (and they have a good reputation - that's why I went there in the first place). However, if anyone could recommend a good dry cleaners who would be able to dye the coat, then I'd gladly look into it. I'd hate to destroy an otherwise good coat.

Advertisement