Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my foreign bride to be should organize...I've no idea?

Options
  • 25-05-2014 11:12pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Posted here back before Christmas about the best places to propose in Dublin. Long story short my Taiwanese girlfriend of the past 3.5 years (we met over there and have lived and traveled together across several countries since) said yes and we are now engaged to be married \0/ :cool:

anywhoo, I've been looking into all the stuff needed for a ceremony in Ireland, for instance the priest has gone through all the forms I need to get and fill out, and obviously I need to get my freedom papers etc but I've been asked and I can't seem to find to much information to answer this question but...

What does my fiancee need to organize in this regard. In Taiwan they don't even have Freedom papers they just use their ID cards and they can see in the system there that they have not been married before but in Ireland does she need to produce anything or are the forms I have to organize simply enough?

Or is it only me that needs to worry about such things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Are you talking about from a civil or religious point of view?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

For the civil part go to the hse website on registering marriages. It goes through what people need to present to marry in Ireland. She will definitely need passport and possibly a copy of birth cert translated and notarised.

For the religious-assuming catholic church she needs letters of freedom from her own parish n baptism certs saying she's a member of church.

Sorry not very exact but hse website good to use and your priest might help with what he needs for religious piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

In addition to the birth cert translation, if her country is part of the Hague convention, she'll also need the birth cert to carry the apostille from country of origin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Well it will be a religious ceremony, but should be and iirc (you can tell im no expert) is recognised by the state in Ireland.

From what I can see there (hse website on registering marriages) all she should need is her Passport / ID Card and a stamped birth certificate (although the issue on the embassy etc that stamps it im not 100% sure on as it's Taiwan an Ireland does not officially recognize Taiwan as a country and has an embassy in China instead... although the Irish/Taiwanese association assured me that a wedding done in Taiwan would be fully recognized in Ireland, even though im enquiring about one in Ireland).

Advertisement