Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hours and breaks

Options
  • 25-05-2014 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I currently work in a resturant where I work ten till seven and get a half hour break is this right cause the day seems so long for a half hour break

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Should be 2x 15 min breaks (paid), 1x 30 min (lunch, unpaid) normally but there may be different union deal for restaurant business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/rest_periods_and_breaks.html

Breaks
    The general rule on breaks is that you are entitled to a break of 15 minutes after a 4 ½ hour work period. If you work more than 6 hours you are entitled to a break of 30 minutes, which can include the first 15-minute break. There is no entitlement to be paid during these breaks and they are not considered part of working time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

When I work 10 - 7, I get 1 hour lunch and of that 45 mins are unpaid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    When I work 10 - 7, I get 1 hour lunch and of that 45 mins are unpaid.

Here are the regulations from Citizens info

Some pertinent information:
    Breaks

The general rule on breaks is that you are entitled to a break of 15 minutes after a 4 ½ hour work period. If you work more than 6 hours you are entitled to a break of 30 minutes, which can include the first 15-minute break. There is no entitlement to be paid during these breaks and they are not considered part of working time.

Shop employees who work more than 6 hours and whose hours of work include 11.30am-2.30pm are entitled to a one hour consecutive break which must occur during those hours.

Example: If you start work at 7am you are entitled to take a 15-minute break at 11.30am. At 1.15pm when you have worked 6 hours you are entitled to take a break of 30 minutes. As you have already taken a break at 11.15, your employer can limit this break to 15 minutes. (If you are working in a shop you are entitled to a one-hour break at 1.15pm.) If you start working again at 1.30pm or 1.45pm and continue working until 6 or 6.15pm you are entitled to another 15-minute break.

Employees whose working conditions are covered by the Registered Employment Agreement (Dublin and Dun Laoghaire Drapery, Footwear And Allied Trades) are entitled to a 15-minute paid break (exclusive of the main meal break) if working more than 4 ½ hours.

Until 7 July 2011 employees who were covered by the Employment Regulation Order (ERO) for the Retail Grocery and Allied Trades (nationwide) were entitled to a 15-minute paid break (exclusive of the main meal break) if working more than 4 ½ hours. Following a High Court decision Employment Regulation Orders ceased to have statutory effect from 7 July 2011. Employees who were covered by this ERO have existing contracts of employment which govern their conditions of work. Any change in their contract of employment normally requires the employee’s consent so the terms set down in the ERO still apply to employees whose contracts date from before 7 July 2011. Until new EROs are made the conditions of work (including rest periods) for employees who start work after 7 July 2011 are governed by employment legislation such as the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭smokedaddy

What if i work 12h night shifts? I'm getting paid for 11h only is that legal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

See Stheno's post or mine above.

Companies are not obliged to pay you for breaks - so, if you have 1 hr break, they don't have to pay you.

Advertisement