Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confusion on marriage cert

Options
  • 25-05-2014 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

I have a dilemma that I know can't be solved but asking for opinions.

On my great-grandparent's marriage cert the father's names have been transposed. The groom's surname is Fitzgerald and the bride's is Barry, however, on the groom's line the father's name is given as Edmond Barry and on the bride's it's William Fitzgerald.

Now my problem is that I don't know if it's just the surname that's transposed or if the Christian name is also wrong, should it be Edmond Fitzgerald and William Barry? What's making me doubt is is that the firstborn son was called Edmond.

Any ideas from the gurus on here would be great. If I can't solve this puzzle I'm not going to be able to go back any further on this line.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I'd suggest ordering a marriage cert for a sibling and see what the name mentioned is.

Failing that you may be able to trace the marriage of Edmond Barry or William Fitzgerald seeing as you probably have their wives names also from the cert ?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭cobham

You might be able to get a church record for same marriage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, I would try for the church record of the marriage, which will give at least fathers' names (if Catholic, also mothers). If you know when your great-grandparents were born, you could also go for one of their birth certs, which will clear it up too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Thanks for the replies folks.

Ponster, I can't trace siblings until I know who the parents were so no joy there. To cover all eventualities, I have been looking at marriages for both William Fitzgerald and Edmond Fitzgerald & also William Barry and Edmond Barry in the East Cork area where my ggrandparents got married but there are several. Fitzgerald & Barry are common names unfortunately.

Cobham, I have the church record also but no parents' names given.

Also, peculiarly, there were no Fitzgerald sponsors to any of my ggrandparents children. Plenty of Barrys though.

Pinkypinky, unfortunately, they were born in the 1850s going by census records so no civil record. Have been through the microfilm for their church marriage record and no parents names.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Do know what the children of the marriage were called? The first boy is normally named after his paternal grandfather, and the second after maternal. Not a foolproof but might lead in the right direction.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Thanks Pinkypinky, the eldest son was called Edmond and the second William, which is leading me to believe that I'm looking for an Edmond Fitzgerald and William Barry.

Unfortunately, the occupations of the fathers don't help as one is a "carrier" and the other a labourer.

Advertisement