Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest device for Netflix on TV?

Options
  • 25-05-2014 9:37pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've a neighbour who's a complete technophobe and wants Netflix on her TV. She's getting rid of Sky so I'm sorting her out with Saorview/Free to air Sat instead. I just use an Android box myself with various apps and I've never used Netflix, but for her I think this will be a little too complicated. I really need something easy to use for her.

I'll set up whatever is needed for her, but what would yous recommend? She mentioned her friend uses an Apple TV for it but I'm not particularly familiar or fond of Apple products!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Cheap second hand PS3, will also double up as a BluRay player

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Thanks for the reply Scud, was thinking of that but would there not be loads of menu's to go through before loading it up? Also hoping for something neat looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Does she already have a smartphone or tablet? If so, then a chromecast would probably be the cheapest and easiest job, no extra menus etc and only €30 - 40. If not then I guess maybe a Roku box or an apple tv or such.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Blade wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Scud, was thinking of that but would there not be loads of menu's to go through before loading it up? Also hoping for something neat looking.

Chromecast...

40 quid in Argos....

http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=2493897

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The PS3 menue is simple, any media player you buy will be the same if not even more complicated. It starts up, just scroll to the TV icon then the big red Netflix icon and done. Ever see the PS3 super slim, it's like the size of 3 DVD cases but a tiny bit bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Does she already have a smartphone or tablet? If so, then a chromecast would probably be the cheapest and easiest job, no extra menus etc and only €30 - 40. If not then I guess maybe a Roku box or an apple tv or such.

I think she has an iPad, so that might be an idea. But personally I'd much prefer having something constantly connected to the TV. Will look into that Roku, think there was a deal going on Bargain Alerts...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I think she has an iPad, so that might be an idea. But personally I'd much prefer having something constantly connected to the TV. Will look into that Roku, think there was a deal going on Bargain Alerts...

You leave the chromecast plugged in (well I do anyway) and you never have to turn it off, so literally any time you wanna pop on netflix etc you just change to the right input on the TV and then just press the cast button while in the netflix app on the ipad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Apple TV is not the cheapest option but is very user friendly (and you can rent newer movies on it if you are so inclined).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Chromecast is by far the easiest thing to use for Netflix. She has an iPad so can easily flick through on the Netflix app and then tap the cast icon when she finds something she want's to watch. No menus, no additional remotes, it's hidden behind the TV and is also the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Are Netflix missing a trick here by not selling a cheap branded STB? (similar to the NowTV box)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

loyatemu wrote: »
    Are Netflix missing a trick here by not selling a cheap branded STB? (similar to the NowTV box)
    Not really, they have so many casting options such as smart tvs,dvd bd players games consoles and smart phones/tablets there's no need to waste money on a dedicated device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

how reliable is the streaming on the chromecast over wifi?

the ps3 on the wired network works well
    -great picture too

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

loyatemu wrote: »

The NowTV is a rebranded Roku. Roku started it's life in Netflix, but they spun it off so that they wouldn't be competing with other hardware they would try to bring their app to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

how reliable is the streaming on the chromecast over wifi?

the ps3 on the wired network works well
    -great picture too

Mine is a rock steady 1080p, but it probably depends on your broadband anyway.

I personally find the Chromecast constantly drops connection with my phone, so I have to reconnect in order to pause whatever I'm watching (and on YouTube that will usually restart what I was watching).

Roku 2 XS is about €60 on Amazon, and worth the extra I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Is it not your phone disconnecting from your network, and therefore losing touch with the chromecast ? Do you have your WiFi set to power off when the screen is locked as a power saving measure or something like that.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Is it not your phone disconnecting from your network, and therefore losing touch with the chromecast ? Do you have your WiFi set to power off when the screen is locked as a power saving measure or something like that.
    Nope. And it doesn't happen everytime I use it, but often enough to be a pain. Reviews when it was first released mentioned similar things.

Edit: It may actually be WiFi optimization.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

The Apple TV is the simplest by far, more expensive but for a technophobe it is the way to go.

The remote is so basic you cant go wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Off topic.
    An old Wii, would be nice and cheap (even cheaper if disc drive is kaput) way of getting netflix with added gaming capabilities, although a decidedly inferior quality of picture and iffy interface. Bit off topic as it's maybe no good for OP but handy for spare bedroom, kids telly etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Just to add, you don't necessarily need a smartphone or tablet to use chromecast. You can also use a laptop or PC on the WiFi network. Just have to naviagate Netflix as usual and hit the cast button once the stream starts!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭catfax

Roku are pretty good, remote also has a jack for headphones so you can plug them in and it mutes TV audio.

The older Roku 2 model also has a composite video output if you have a TV with no HDMI, Roku besides wireless also have ethernet too and can do a few more things than an AppleTV can.

Only one Android box does proper Netflix which is the Amazon FireTV but they are not sold here yet, the FireTV gets HD Netflix and a remote focused GUI, all the generic Chinese Android set top boxes don't get that as they use tablet Netflix meant for touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

An Android box IS simple to use, my wife can use one and feed a month-old at the same time!

An Android box IS simple to use, my wife can use one and feed a month-old at the same time!

Hee, I might bring the neighbour in and show her my Android box controlled by a mouse to see if she could get the hang of it and what she thinks. I'd set one up for her of course but I'd be a bit concerned that if anything goes wrong she'll keep needing me to sort it out. If we do go that route she wouldn't really need Netflix which as pointed out can be buggy on many Android boxes. We could just go with a couple of the free apps instead.

Thanks for all the ideas, I'll concentrate on getting her up and running with the free to air stuff first and see exactly what she has in there and what method will best suit her for watching TV series etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Hello
    Just wondering how you sorted this for your neighbour?
    Want to get Netflix on downstairs TV. Get it through Wii in another room.

Aimeee wrote: »
    Hello
    Just wondering how you sorted this for your neighbour?
    Want to get Netflix on downstairs TV. Get it through Wii in another room.

She saw her friend's Apple TV running Netflix so decided to get the exact same thing and her friend helped her set it up. So that saves me all the hassle, especially if she ever has a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Lol was hoping you weren't going to say that.
    Lucky for you though, no hiccups to be sorted out. :-)
    Thank you.

Advertisement