Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a HKC 6/10 be transformed into a remotely monitored system?

Options
  • 25-05-2014 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello folks,

I got good help on this forum before to fix our old SecureWatch 6/10 alarm system
    which was installed in 12/1999 and is still working fine (as far as I can see).

From what I have read on this forum, my understanding is that it is not possible to transform this old HKC SecureWatch 6/10 system to a self-monitoring system, and that to get a self-monitoring system I would have to upgrade/change the HKC SW 6/10 system?

Is that correct?

Here is what I am thinking of to get as an alarm system:

1- I would like eventually to be able to get video stream to my android phone to remotely monitor if an alarm occurs.
    2- Also I am thinking of talking to a local alarm company to get them to transform/change our alarm system to get remote self-monitoring or may be ask them to monitor it (and servicing the alarm to make sure that we are covered by the insurance).
    3- I am not thinking of installing the required upgrade myself!
    4- We are with Eircom for landline phone and Broadband but I am toying with the idea of dropping Eircom ( after a very long time with them) to go to UPC – UPC seem to have a much faster Broadband.

I would be very grateful if someone could give me some pointers so that I don’t get taken-in when I talk to the local security companies.

For example, would I have to change all the sensors and PIR if I am advised to get a new system? (I think all the shock and contact sensors are HKC but I am not sure of the PIR.)

Should I stay with HKC or use Siemens (which has been mentioned in this forum many times before) or some other manufacturer?

Many thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

On a very basic level you could self monitor that system using a generic voice dialler or GSM text dialler.
    For the real control via apps look at the Siemens SPC 4300 range, The Risco LightSYS or the GSD i70.
    The GSD & Risco can give you monitoring via your IP connection so no seperate dialler , phone line or SIM card would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dynosaur

Hello KoolKid,

Thank you for your prompt reply and advice.

I will have a look at these three systems later this evening.

I might come back with a question ot two.

Advertisement