Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maggots

Options
  • 25-05-2014 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi folks. Anyone know anywhere or anyone that sells maggots on a sunday. All fishing shops close on sunday. Any indepent sellers out there west side of dublin. Lucan clondalkin etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

If you went to any fisheries such as corcagh park they should sell you some that they have

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Blake911

I usualy just go canals on sunday so would they sell u them to take away?

They should do they couldn't be that mean

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭zombiekiller

had the same problem myself. no bait on sunday end up digging the back garden up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭chrisb1

If your stuck for bait sweetcorn works a treat not just maggots

• Advertisement

i have went on the canal depending on just corn on a sunday and it didnt go to well. though im not blamin it all on the corn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

i have went on the canal depending on just corn on a sunday and it didnt go to well. though im not blamin it all on the corn

Bread can work well on the Canal for Roach and Rudd

21/25

The last few trips on the canal were just one perch after another then a supprise trout which made my lads day as it was his first. When I tried bread i found it hard to keep it on the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fisherman

Not being funny, but why not buy them on Saturday when the shops are open?

Not being funny but sometimes the opportunity to go fishing just pops up.

• Advertisement

Not being funny but sometimes the opportunity to go fishing just pops up.

True. Could be a miserable day on Saturday and then Sunday could e gorgeous despite weather reports and your free for the day and you get the itch to go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Friendly_User

Thought it worth a mention, I harvest my own. Just leave out any old scrap meat and the bluebottle will lay the eggs, these grow into larva (Maggots), I add food colouring Red or yellow to change their colour so then I have White, Red and Yellow maggots. once they're big enough I wash them, dry them and store them in fine saw dust in containers in a fridge until I use them. Hope this helps.

It's cheap and always available throughout the season.

Someone told me how to do this before and you just reminded me. How do you wash and dry them. And when do you colour them and how exactly just pour it over them and they eat it.

Put the food colouring into the container as they are growing and feeding, it will colour them outside and inside.

I wash then in a sieve under cold running water, give it a shake to knock off excess water and pour them out onto newspaper. Tilt the newpaper a little towards the gathering container. They will wriggle (towards gravity) and dry themselves against the newspaper on their decent towards the gathering container, add fine saw dust, put a perforated lid on top and store in the fridge.

I hope this helps.

how long does the whole growing process take. And how long do they last

The growing process for just one batch is about a week and half but I keep several batches going at the same time, so it's a wait of one and half weeks at the start and then they are always available.

They keep for about two weeks in the fridge 3-5 degrees celsius. Some last longer but I usually release after two weeks just to keep my stocks fresh.

I also leave some out of the fridge so that they turn into casters (great for feeding and good for catching).

I hope this helps.

thanks for that will save that

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

Jesus lads for the sake of a couple of euro would u not just buy a pint of maggots! Can't be the best thing to be harvesting your own maggots!

Place in Balgaddy Lucan opens on a sunday they're called the fish bowl.

http://swords.yalwa.ie/ID_103142369/Fishbowl-Aquatic-Pet-Store.html

Does that place have maggots most petshops have mealworms and no maggots. Everytime I go fish shop to get bait i dont just get bait if you know what i mean. So maybe having my own would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

Does that place have maggots most petshops have mealworms and no maggots. Everytime I go fish shop to get bait i dont just get bait if you know what i mean. So maybe having my own would be better.

Yeah he has a full range of rods,reels, baits etc. All the decent brands

• Advertisement

Great info thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 justfishing

If you went to any fisheries such as corcagh park they should sell you some that they have

The best thing is to do is make up ur own mattots put a bit of gone of meat in a newspapper and let it lie for a day r two in ur shed r a contaner and flys will breed the u get a load of moggots i done it .its handy if u can get any.good lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 justfishing

Hi i looking for a good pike rod and reel do any of you lads kn were i get one for cheap i just starting out.thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Hi i looking for a good pike rod and reel do any of you lads kn were i get one for cheap i just starting out.thanks.

If your just starting out...bring someone who knows how to handle a pike with you on your first trip.

Also..This is a thread about maggots.

Advertisement