Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing paving slabs with grass

Options
  • 25-05-2014 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We have a garden with a mix of soil and paving slabs. We want to grow a lawn instead but wonder can the sand under the slabs be mixed into the soil or how should we prepare the ground? I would also appreciate advice on whether a fast growing seed or lawn turf would be better. We want a quick fix which will get us through the next couple of years and then we will do the job properly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭rje66

for best results go a bit deeper as in drier weather lawn will really struggle due to drying out. also if its not too big an area go for roll out as if you seed now every weed and his weedy dog will be in there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gardinia

Great thanks. Do you think the sand under the slabs would need to be removed or could we mix it into the soil?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

gardinia wrote: »
    Great thanks. Do you think the sand under the slabs would need to be removed or could we mix it into the soil?

The sand may have lime or cement mixed through, not sure these would be great for grass growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gardinia

Crikey, would you have any recommendations for what to add to replace it? Can I get reasonable topsoil in the likes of homebase?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

gardinia wrote: »
    Crikey, would you have any recommendations for what to add to replace it? Can I get reasonable topsoil in the likes of homebase?

Some manure might balance the ph levels and mix in some topsoil? not really my thing though. I wouldn't be in a hurry to pay for topsoil, ask around in garden centres etc, you hardly need a whole lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

If it's ok I posted this here as it's a similar question. The paving slabs might have been put down with sand underneath, but as the pictures would have shown [not enough posts to post them!] this must have been a very light layer as it is now weed infested between all the stones.

There doesn't seem to be anything further down before the subsoil, so would it be sufficient to dig this, mix in some topsoil and/or compost, and then lay turf on top of this?

Advertisement