Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live view of home

Options
  • 25-05-2014 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

I had some <snip> sales reps and some friends had them around too trying to sell a new phonewatch system that supposedly gives a new company Live access to the home via cameras. The monitoring centre ( they're a Norwegian company as far as I'm aware ) alert the authorities in the event of a break-in. At least this was my understanding of it, they also claimed that the system is cheaper than the old offer but you have to sign a three year contract that amounts to over €1500. Has anybody signed up to this system yet?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭BobMcBob

Strangers having access to cameras in your home and having to pay for the privilege

No thanks!

Can't see any possible way that could be abused......

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Get up in the middle of the night in your birthday suit, trigger a camera accidently ....... the rest might end up on the net some day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Seanachai wrote: »
    I had some <snip> sales reps and some friends had them around too trying to sell a new phonewatch system that supposedly gives a new company Live access to the home via cameras. The monitoring centre ( they're a Norwegian company as far as I'm aware ) alert the authorities in the event of a break-in. At least this was my understanding of it, they also claimed that the system is cheaper than the old offer but you have to sign a three year contract that amounts to over €1500. Has anybody signed up to this system yet?.

I am glad that you saw through them, pity that there are not a whole lot more like you out there.

I find it amazing that people accept systems that do not have live external sounders and rely on GSM units which can be blocked by GSM blocker units.
    Of course these systems will only detect intruders after they have entered peoples houses. That is if at all depending on how many detectors they have installed in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

kub wrote: »
    I am glad that you saw through them, pity that there are not a whole lot more like you out there.

I find it amazing that people accept systems that do not have live external sounders and rely on GSM units which can be blocked by GSM blocker units.
    Of course these systems will only detect intruders after they have entered peoples houses. That is if at all depending on how many detectors they have installed in the first place.

I really don't see the point of an external sounder unless you have really nosey neighbours that would go and check on the house.
    Dummy sounders with LEDs act as the deterrent but my god when you pass through estates all you hear is the shrieks from ignored alarms. 15 minutes is just too much. Some installers even set the internal sounders to ring for more than 30 mins.

I completely get where you're coming from with the GSM units and phonewatch clearly advertising that they 100% rely on them.
    Dual comm ones are ok but the ones phonewatch use do not poll. How come they can bend the rules so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Evolution1 wrote: »
    I really don't see the point of an external sounder unless you have really nosey neighbours that would go and check on the house.
    Dummy sounders with LEDs act as the deterrent but my god when you pass through estates all you hear is the shrieks from ignored alarms. 15 minutes is just too much. Some installers even set the internal sounders to ring for more than 30 mins.

I completely get where you're coming from with the GSM units and phonewatch clearly advertising that they 100% rely on them.
    Dual comm ones are ok but the ones phonewatch use do not poll. How come they can bend the rules so much.

Call me old fashioned regarding a live bell box but being honest i do prefer to have an SAB on a system should the worst thing occur......if you know what i mean.
    With regard to PW and bending rules, i take it its the paperwork, the RA, SDP, AFD.....etc. I honestly do not know. It might have been the fact that once upon a time they were part of a company which was practically part of the civil service, then the NSAI also in that category and PW being so big.
    I wonder though will this now change as they are now a private company.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Evolution1 wrote: »

IMO the point of an SAB is that it is much harder to silence the alarm as opposed to just turning off the power and disconnecting the battery.

Advertisement