Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The last hurdle.. HELP PLEASE

Options
  • 25-05-2014 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Okay so not long to go now until English Paper 1...

I have a whole week of study to do next week..

I believe iv worked hard the past two years and I feel prepared in some ways and I don't in other ways..

These are my (hopeful) aims..
    Business A1
    BiologyA1
    German A2
    Chemistry A2
    Music B2
    English B1
    Irish C3
    Maths C2

All higher level

Can anybody give me some advice on how to cram for the next week? What I should do everyday etc. How long should I study for each day?

ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED

if anyone has any questions I would be delighted to help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 emilybreen

I don't know how good my advice is because I'm only starting it myself, but the grades I hope to get are very similar to yours so hopefully this works :P

I have lists of all the topics in each subject printed off, you can get these off skoool.ie and places like that. I wrote a list of topics I want to cover every day over the next week, averaging at about 6/7 things a day to cover. Some of it is just to read over notes or re-write out essays and things like that. I've found this really good so far because I already know exactly what I need to do each day and it's so relieving crossing off all of the list!

I would definitely prioritise certain subjects that you feel need more work. I don't know how your timetable is but I have 6 days off in between french and chemistry (my last exam), so I plan on doing most of my chemistry in that week.

Some people say you shouldn't do this and that you shouldn't forget about your last exams but realistically I can get so much done in those 6 days so it makes more sense to focus heavily on maths, english and geography, stuff I have in the first few days :)

Try not to get too stressed and give yourself a mountain of stuff to do each day. A few hours looking over key topics and refreshing your memory with exam questions and things like that will help you loads :)

I read somewhere about a guy who got 600 points who stayed up until 4am the night before each exam going over the whole course and cramming. If that works for you, fair play but don't think I'd recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LauraaWhelann

emilybreen wrote: »
    I don't know how good my advice is because I'm only starting it myself, but the grades I hope to get are very similar to yours so hopefully this works :P

I have lists of all the topics in each subject printed off, you can get these off skoool.ie and places like that. I wrote a list of topics I want to cover every day over the next week, averaging at about 6/7 things a day to cover. Some of it is just to read over notes or re-write out essays and things like that. I've found this really good so far because I already know exactly what I need to do each day and it's so relieving crossing off all of the list!

I would definitely prioritise certain subjects that you feel need more work. I don't know how your timetable is but I have 6 days off in between french and chemistry (my last exam), so I plan on doing most of my chemistry in that week.

Some people say you shouldn't do this and that you shouldn't forget about your last exams but realistically I can get so much done in those 6 days so it makes more sense to focus heavily on maths, english and geography, stuff I have in the first few days :)

Try not to get too stressed and give yourself a mountain of stuff to do each day. A few hours looking over key topics and refreshing your memory with exam questions and things like that will help you loads :)

I read somewhere about a guy who got 600 points who stayed up until 4am the night before each exam going over the whole course and cramming. If that works for you, fair play but don't think I'd recommend it!

Thanks for all that! I hope you get what you want, it sounds like you've put a lot of work in :)

I have a really spread out time table, i have three days before chemistry and I'm planning to get the whole course revised in those three days also!

Music is my last exam.. I have a days break between that and chemistry so I'm hoping to get a good bit done in that day too!

I agree with you I'm not a crammer like that guy! I like to quickly revise a lot of things before the exam but I definitely don't plan on learning new things right before the exam or staying up all hours.

Would you mind me asking how you study chemistry? It's such a hard subject!

What are you interested in doing? And best of luck for all your exams :)

Thanks for all that! I hope you get what you want, it sounds like you've put a lot of work in :)

I have a really spread out time table, i have three days before chemistry and I'm planning to get the whole course revised in those three days also!

Music is my last exam.. I have a days break between that and chemistry so I'm hoping to get a good bit done in that day too!

I agree with you I'm not a crammer like that guy! I like to quickly revise a lot of things before the exam but I definitely don't plan on learning new things right before the exam or staying up all hours.

Would you mind me asking how you study chemistry? It's such a hard subject!

What are you interested in doing? And best of luck for all your exams :)

Thank you! Hope it helped a little :)

Chemistry is my worst subject I find it really difficult because there's just so much to learn.
    I have all of the chapters wrote out on flash cards that I've been doing since november/december time. I just read over them a lot and try to learn them as I go along.

I'd recommend knowing your definitions reeeeally well because they can add up to nearly 15% of your exam depending on how many are on the paper. Other then that I'd say just keep going over exam questions I guess because the questions can be so repetitive.

My teacher always says to us that the best way to do well in chemistry is to first of all have a good understanding which I'd say you do if you're aiming for an A2! and then to just sit and learn it off by heart (which is horrible because there's so much!)

I was hoping to do medicine but I don't I did well enough in my hpat to get it, so hopefully phsiotherapy :)

What are you hoping to do? Best of luck to you too!

emilybreen wrote: »
    Thank you! Hope it helped a little :)

Chemistry is my worst subject I find it really difficult because there's just so much to learn.
    I have all of the chapters wrote out on flash cards that I've been doing since november/december time. I just read over them a lot and try to learn them as I go along.

I'd recommend knowing your definitions reeeeally well because they can add up to nearly 15% of your exam depending on how many are on the paper. Other then that I'd say just keep going over exam questions I guess because the questions can be so repetitive.

My teacher always says to us that the best way to do well in chemistry is to first of all have a good understanding which I'd say you do if you're aiming for an A2! and then to just sit and learn it off by heart (which is horrible because there's so much!)

I was hoping to do medicine but I don't I did well enough in my hpat to get it, so hopefully phsiotherapy :)

What are you hoping to do? Best of luck to you too!

That HPAT is crazy :( I always wanted to do psychiatry and of course you have to do medicine to do that so I had to give up on that dream :) looking at either pharmacy or speech and language therapy now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ace_Ace

I cant imagine how much help i'll be but sure! im only seriously putting the study effort in atm as well..
    I got 515 in the mocks but i need 570 to be safe so i hope that jump is possible!

i also have a week between history and music so im going to do that all then!

My plan is to get up each morning at the regular school time and start for nine, i plan on going at it like a normal school day and then take a break for an hour or two and starting again. I wouldnt recommend staying up past 11 as you'll be burnt out by wednesday week! Ive made a outlined study plan for the next week-ish but today i didnt get everything done that i had hoped to.. im finding it hard smart study so if youve any tips for that!
    My subjects art very similar to yours unfortunately!
    biology
    history
    music
    french
    maths
    english
    irish
    how do you study for biology might i ask? i got a b1 in the mocks but id love to bump it up to the A :) my teacher is predicting the IAA, and DNA extraction exps in some form. He also leaned heavily on the breathing and circulatory systems as well

For irish, its pretty hard to predict the essays but what ive done is learned an interlinkable ending which involves solutions to whatever the problem is etc. Focus on the essays as the stories and poetry combined is only 10 percent. Learn good phrases for a number of topics and brush up on your grammer and tuiseal g as well.
    hope i can help somehow :)

• Advertisement

Ace_Ace wrote: »
    I cant imagine how much help i'll be but sure! im only seriously putting the study effort in atm as well..
    I got 515 in the mocks but i need 570 to be safe so i hope that jump is possible!

My plan is to get up each morning at the regular school time and start for nine, i plan on going at it like a normal school day and then take a break for an hour or two and starting again. I wouldnt recommend staying up past 11 as you'll be burnt out by wednesday week! Ive made a outlined study plan for the next week-ish but today i didnt get everything done that i had hoped to.. im finding it hard smart study so if youve any tips for that!
    biology
    history
    music
    french
    maths
    english
    irish
    how do you study for biology might i ask? i got a b1 in the mocks but id love to bump it up to the A :) my teacher is predicting the IAA, and DNA extraction exps in some form. He also leaned heavily on the breathing and circulatory systems as well

For irish, its pretty hard to predict the essays but what ive done is learned an interlinkable ending which involves solutions to whatever the problem is etc. Focus on the essays as the stories and poetry combined is only 10 percent. Learn good phrases for a number of topics and brush up on your grammer and tuiseal g as well.

My teacher predicted those experiments for biology as well so hopefully they're both right! :)

I got an A2 in my biology mock and I honestly think it's just down to doing exam questions over and over. Biology is the most repetitive exam I think, and I'd advise reading over a chapter and refreshing it in your head then going through a handful of exam questions and answering them.
    If you know the answer don't waste your time writing it out, go on to the next part and write out answers you're unsure of or unusual ones and then check these on the marking schemes. You'll realise after a few questions that the same stuff always comes up.

Also I'd advise focusing on the more important chapters in biology like genetics, human reproduction, photosynthesis, respiration, enzymes etc. because these come up almost every year without fail. So many people get weighed down with small chapters like lymph system and learning how to draw a brain and label every part of it, these are only likely to come up as fractions of questions so you should definitely spend a little less time on certain areas that feature less frequently in the papers :)

Hope this helped!

That HPAT is crazy :( I always wanted to do psychiatry and of course you have to do medicine to do that so I had to give up on that dream :) looking at either pharmacy or speech and language therapy now!

Honestly, it's the worst exam I've done in my life. So intimidating being in a room with 400 people looking for the same college places :(

Pharmacy is meant to be really good, a friend of mine is doing it in RCSI and he absolutely loves it! :)

biology
    history
    music
    french
    maths
    english
    irish

Hey :) well I got an A2 in the mocks and that was achieved by laying down groundwork and having a basic knowledge of every chapter. I also spent a lot of time doing exam questions for past summer Christmas and class tests.

Iv had a great teacher who had a huge knowledge of biology also

Lots of people say biology is about learning everything off I believe however that it's all about understanding what you are learning and relating it to everyday life!

I study biology with friends too and we ask each other questions from past pres etc.

As Emily said, try and focus on genetics photosynthesis respiration enzymes and plant biology as they tend to make an appearance every year!

Try and nail down the short questions also by practice practice practice :)

Best of luck!

Can I ask how you study for music? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

Okay so not long to go now until English Paper 1...

I have a whole week of study to do next week..

I believe iv worked hard the past two years and I feel prepared in some ways and I don't in other ways..

These are my (hopeful) aims..
    Business A1
    BiologyA1
    German A2
    Chemistry A2
    Music B2
    English B1
    Irish C3
    Maths C2

All higher level

Can anybody give me some advice on how to cram for the next week? What I should do everyday etc. How long should I study for each day?

ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED

if anyone has any questions I would be delighted to help.

em well i feel kind of out of place in this thread with everyone on about getting above 550 points.
    i just want your advice on how to study or improve my grade in business seen your going for an A1 in it i got a D1 in the mocks and i would love a high C or B any advice would be much appreicaited thanks i really enjoy business but i find it hard to study it

caolan1996 wrote: »
    em well i feel kind of out of place in this thread with everyone on about getting above 550 points.
    i just want your advice on how to study or improve my grade in business seen your going for an A1 in it i got a D1 in the mocks and i would love a high C or B any advice would be much appreicaited thanks i really enjoy business but i find it hard to study it

No need to feel out of place your hopes are as important as anyone elses! Okay il make a list for you :)

1. Know units 1-3 VERY well. The hardest thing about these units is the Acts but break them down into 1 A4 page each in very short bullet points. Try and make a scenario in your head for each Act. For things like the employment equality act and the nine parties it protects, I like to take the first letter of each group and make up an easy poem to remember the whole nine of them. Make the poem personal to you ( mine is made up of my friends names ) The reason you should know these units so well is that the ABQ and two of the long questions are based on them. That's equal to 50% of your paper.

2. Do all the short questions in the exam papers and learn them. They tend to be quite repetitive with the odd new one thrown in each year. Try and get a hold of past mocks and do the short questions on those too.

3. Learn Unit 7 (EU and international trade etc.) this should enable you to answer question 3 of the long questions. This question is EXTREMELY repetitive. There is no waffling you just have to know the stuff and that will get you full marks.

4. Learn your accounting ratios as they can often make up the bulk of question 5 of the long questions. Practice past exam questions on them and I guarantee you will master them in no time.

5. As we don't have long left now try and just know the basic of basics from the other units in the book for the short questions.

I'm not saying this advice will get you an A but if you structure your study to suit certain questions on the paper I have no doubt that your grade will improve!

Good luck and let me know how it all goes :)

• Advertisement

thanks for the reply really appreciate it.

well i think this will be my plan for the next five days
    tomorrow=i will go over unit 1 and do a long question on it q1

thursday=i will do unit 2+3 and do a long question on it q4

friday= i will do unit 7 and do a question on it q3

saturday= unit 5 and ratios

sunday= short questions

does that seem ok to you would you change anything about it and how long should i do in business each day?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 SSMorg

I am just repeating Honours Irish to do teaching, I have 3 essays learned off so far, heard rumours of essay topics about the Irish Language, Media & just doing a general young people & problem etc. I also have learned off a general introduction & final paragh so just need 2 pages in between.
    Also Paper 2 Question 1 Comprehension , the last 2 parts are worth 15marks each x 2 = 30 marks, same as the whole poetry or Pros question so don't overlook them if possible. Repetitive also, do you like the author, story etc & find the Uru etc.

Any tips for me, I am struggling, as I am a repeat I did not do a mock so don't know where I stand. Felt the oral went ok though.

Hey guys! So I did my LC last year and here's a few tips for the final week.

Chemistry: I always found that the exam questions were extremely repetitive. Each day I took a topic and did the exam questions from 2012-2005. Chemistry Live is such an awful book I felt as there was so much useless information. Exam papers structured what you actually needed to know for each topic. Q4 is also quite repetitive. Know your organic chemistry! With an experiment, fuels and q8 it's 3/8 qs. And obviously titration. If you're going to do q5 then know it really well, I hear it is one of the hardest marked.

Biology: The main 4 have already been mentioned; genetics, respiration, photosynthesis and ecology. I don't know how the paper will look this year as I felt that ours was more difficult than previous years!

Irish: The main thing is your grammar/sentence construction. Throughout all of secondary school I could hardly speak a word of Irish. Then I sat down and taught myself how to actually make a sentence and general vocab/grammar. I always answered questions in simple Irish. People in my class were learning difficult complex sentences that we were given but I actually understood what I wrote and the grammar was perfect and it paid off in the end.

General exam tips are to leave no blanks and stick to your timing!

Also: I'm currently doing pharmacy in TCD so if you guys want to PM me feel free. It's late so I only covered 3 subjects but ask away if you want advice abiut other subjects and I'll try ky best to help

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dazzy123

How would everyone suggest revising for English especially paper 1? I always go to study and then realise I don't know where to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ace_Ace

Hey :) well I got an A2 in the mocks and that was achieved by laying down groundwork and having a basic knowledge of every chapter. I also spent a lot of time doing exam questions for past summer Christmas and class tests.

Iv had a great teacher who had a huge knowledge of biology also

Lots of people say biology is about learning everything off I believe however that it's all about understanding what you are learning and relating it to everyday life!

I study biology with friends too and we ask each other questions from past pres etc.

As Emily said, try and focus on genetics photosynthesis respiration enzymes and plant biology as they tend to make an appearance every year!

Try and nail down the short questions also by practice practice practice :)

Best of luck!

Can I ask how you study for music? :)

weeell music is a tough one but what i find easiest is to listen to my set works while following the score first
    then i dont know if you have this but if you do its a great help, the purple music workbook? i have that filled in and corrected so i go through each playing while trying to listen for the answers ive written down :)
    another great one is the exam papers, if you havent them already done, have a go and then get the correct answers off SEC. After that id recommend listening and reading the answers again. You'll start to notice a pattern in the questions for each set work.
    It also helps to just listen to them whereever you go, i know seachanges is a bit odd to be walking to, but it helps!
    ive a few essays as well for irish music but im not learning them till my week break, i'll probably do two a day as they arnt too long!
    for the composing, the best thing is just practice really.. know the differences between minor and major backing chords/melodies. do you follow a set chord progression for your melody?
    Hope thats a bit helpful :)

for business would it be ok to leave it out as a long question and just pick an other unit like 5 which i find easier

thanks for the reply really appreciate it.

well i think this will be my plan for the next five days
    tomorrow=i will go over unit 1 and do a long question on it q1

thursday=i will do unit 2+3 and do a long question on it q4

friday= i will do unit 7 and do a question on it q3

saturday= unit 5 and ratios

sunday= short questions

does that seem ok to you would you change anything about it and how long should i do in business each day?

Yeah that sounds good! Well my advice would be to do half an hour to an hour of business then move on to another subject and then come back to it again, do business for as long as it takes you to learn what you need to learn!

Remember study is about quality not quantity!

for business would it be ok to leave it out as a long question and just pick an other unit like 5 which i find easier

Yes if you feel like you can get that much done in time and you find it easier of course!

weeell music is a tough one but what i find easiest is to listen to my set works while following the score first
    then i dont know if you have this but if you do its a great help, the purple music workbook? i have that filled in and corrected so i go through each playing while trying to listen for the answers ive written down :)
    another great one is the exam papers, if you havent them already done, have a go and then get the correct answers off SEC. After that id recommend listening and reading the answers again. You'll start to notice a pattern in the questions for each set work.
    It also helps to just listen to them whereever you go, i know seachanges is a bit odd to be walking to, but it helps!
    ive a few essays as well for irish music but im not learning them till my week break, i'll probably do two a day as they arnt too long!
    for the composing, the best thing is just practice really.. know the differences between minor and major backing chords/melodies. do you follow a set chord progression for your melody?
    Hope thats a bit helpful :)

Yeah I do! Music is an extra subject so I only did one class a week for an hour every week so I'm a bit lacking on practicing the questions but il definitely do that now! Thanks for all your advice :)

dazzy123 wrote: »
    How would everyone suggest revising for English especially paper 1? I always go to study and then realise I don't know where to start!

Hey there I got an A2 in my english mock, I do believe it was corrected easily though but this is my advice for paper 1:

Reading comprehensions: know all your types of language e.g. Informative, persuasive, argumentative etc. Highlight important bits of the passage so you don't have to go finding them again. Read the questions first! Remember that the comprehension is worth just as much as the prescribed poetry! Obviously make your 20 mark questions longer than the other ones. Make a point and explain it then back it up with a quote. Try and work your quotes into sentences. No waffling straight to the point!

Question B: I got full marks in this for the mock. ALWAYS PICK YOUR QUESTION B FIRST! Be opinionated. Argue your point and give the examiner no reason to believe your viewpoint is not worthy of consideration. Try to be unique and vary your vocabulary a lot.

Essay: ONE HUNDRED MARKS! You need to do well on the essay to guarantee a good grade. I made up I short story that I can twist and adjust to suit almost any title. I can write it in just over 45 mins because I know it off by heart, I just need to work the title into it. I suggest you do the same and don't go learning off a story, make it up because you will remember if much better. Get it corrected by your english teacher before the exam if you are still able to.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Hey there I got an A2 in my english mock, I do believe it was corrected easily though but this is my advice for paper 1:

Reading comprehensions: know all your types of language e.g. Informative, persuasive, argumentative etc. Highlight important bits of the passage so you don't have to go finding them again. Read the questions first! Remember that the comprehension is worth just as much as the prescribed poetry! Obviously make your 20 mark questions longer than the other ones. Make a point and explain it then back it up with a quote. Try and work your quotes into sentences. No waffling straight to the point!

Question B: I got full marks in this for the mock. ALWAYS PICK YOUR QUESTION B FIRST! Be opinionated. Argue your point and give the examiner no reason to believe your viewpoint is not worthy of consideration. Try to be unique and vary your vocabulary a lot.

Essay: ONE HUNDRED MARKS! You need to do well on the essay to guarantee a good grade. I made up I short story that I can twist and adjust to suit almost any title. I can write it in just over 45 mins because I know it off by heart, I just need to work the title into it. I suggest you do the same and don't go learning off a story, make it up because you will remember if much better. Get it corrected by your english teacher before the exam if you are still able to.

Good luck!

Just on the essay advice; it is imperative that you know your strengths! I was never good at short stories according to my teacher. I was on the debate team so speeches/debates were always a possibility to fall back on but I really liked the personal essays. English is a subject where you can actually let your personality shine through. I was always told that I had a comedic outlook on life and that I could make anything into a joke. I used this to my advantage all the time in my essays! And examiners love it! I got 98/100 in my personal essay for the LC because the examiner could see the student behind the exam (and I'm sure you know that this is rare in the LC).
    And you can even bring it into other areas of the course (although not as freely). In one essay I remember comparing Macbeth and Banquo to Ant and Dec and it worked really well with the teachers in my school as humour is memorable and can get the audience onto your side.

Just on the essay advice; it is imperative that you know your strengths! I was never good at short stories according to my teacher. I was on the debate team so speeches/debates were always a possibility to fall back on but I really liked the personal essays. English is a subject where you can actually let your personality shine through. I was always told that I had a comedic outlook on life and that I could make anything into a joke. I used this to my advantage all the time in my essays! And examiners love it! I got 98/100 in my personal essay for the LC because the examiner could see the student behind the exam (and I'm sure you know that this is rare in the LC).
    And you can even bring it into other areas of the course (although not as freely). In one essay I remember comparing Macbeth and Banquo to Ant and Dec and it worked really well with the teachers in my school as humour is memorable and can get the audience onto your side.

Completely agree! I believe I did well in my question B because I used my own opinion! I remember harping on about how none of the lads in my school could compare to the likes of actors nowadays (harsh I know) - the article was about the stereotypes in media. Try and say the unexpected, and use your own views in each question!

Completely agree! I believe I did well in my question B because I used my own opinion! I remember harping on about how none of the lads in my school could compare to the likes of actors nowadays (harsh I know) - the article was about the stereotypes in media. Try and say the unexpected, and use your own views in each question!

A quick look at the examinations website reminded me of the question B I chose last year in the LC
    You have been asked to give a talk to your class entitled: Television and radio in the lives of young people today. Write the text of the talk you would deliver in which you consider the role of television and radio in the lives of young people today

I remember telling the examiner/audience about what I dub the "Geordie Shore Generation." I was saying how television is so influential that either teenage boys look up to these people or else genetics have been altered severely.

The more you show of yourself, the better.

Advertisement