Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 PSOne Games That Changed Your Life

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

ffvii

used wake up @ 4 start playing before I went into work
    then I stopped going into work

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Four of my five are on your list so yes I would agree :D the only other game I would put in is ff9 instead of crash :-P:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Abe's odyssey! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Had the PS1 GTA games, but was never into them as much as the PS2 and later games. Got FF8 before I got 7 and 9 has always been my favourite. Agree about Metal Gear.

Really wish the earlier consoles and PC games before Steam could track your playtime, it'd be interesting to look back on without the effect of nostalgia and see how much we actually played them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

1. Final Fantasy IX.
    Remains my favourite game ever to this day and I give it a playthrough every year. I would go into more detail but we'd be here for a week.

2. Tekken 3.
    First Playstation game I ever owned. This thing got used so much I ended up having to buy another copy because the original got so worn and scratched. Got it for Christmas with the Playstation and I vividly remember trying to convince my relatives to play it because "theres a character in it called Nina and she's Irish!"

3. Final Fantasy VII.
    Used to visit my cousin's house regularly and he always had games before me. I watched him play through the game up until the end of disc one and 8 year old me was very upset at the events that unfolded. When I was eventually able to get a lend of it from him, I was determined to change what happened. Didn't work. He still tells the story of how he was at my house, saw that I got further than he did and asked for it back after getting me to show him how to beat a boss. I played this game over and over to get different scenes and try out different party members at different areas of the game. Re-loading different saves did not occur to me. Still get waves of nostalgia when I throw it on.

4. WWF Smackdown : Shut Your Mouth!
    Massive wrestling fan when this came out. I would watch it on Sky1 on Saturday morning, and then play the game all day. The story mode would loop constantly so it never really ended. I didn't notice and I thought it was amazing.

5. Final Fantasy VIII.
    There's a trend here. It really doesn't hold up as well now, but I received this as a surprise Christmas present. Played it for my entire Christmas holidays until I had to go back to school. The battle between the two Gardens in Disc 2 is still one of my favourite parts in any game ever. Strangely, young MitchKoobski did not understand the junctioning system or leveling system for GFs, so I just spammed the GFs to see how far it got me. Still haven't completed it properly....

Honorable mention: Crash Bandicoot 2 and Worms Armaggeddon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Metal Gear Solid
    Final Fantasy VII
    Tekken/Soul Calibur/Blade
    Resident Evil
    Gran Turismo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I think it was a day of playing Tekken 2 at a friends house after school that got me to save up and buy a PS1.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Played a demo of a game where a pink haired kid flipped pink pigs, it took me more than a year to find a copy of it, to this day Tombi! is still in my top three PS1 games.

Final Fantasy VII
    Alundra
    Tombi!
    Marvel vs Capcom
    Suikoden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Metal Gear Solid
    Silent Hill
    Crash Bandicoot
    Kula World
    MediEvil

Still have them all, play on PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Resident evil,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Played a demo of a game where a pink haired kid flipped pink pigs, it took me more than a year to find a copy of it, to this day Tombi! is still in my top three PS1 games.

Final Fantasy VII
    Alundra
    Tombi!
    Marvel vs Capcom
    Suikoden

How did I forget Alundra and Tombi!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Final Fantasy VIII
    Metal gear Solid
    Silent Hill
    Medieval
    Grand Turismo

Ah how I miss the feeling I used get playing these

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The ones that changed my life attitude to gaming were:

Gran Turismo - I could never abide simulations until GT's handling model and RPG levelling system showed me the light

Resident Evil - Totally new genre for me. Reignited my interest in horror films also.

Metal Gear Solid - Never did stealth before this. Spent about 10 hours with the demo trying to figure out every little nuance.

Tekken 3 - First game I had played competitively. Spent weeks training for an inter-varsity tournament back int' day

ISS Pro Evolution - First footy game that got the blend right imo. Put an ungodly amount of hours into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

N64 supremacy :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

legacy of kain - The first PSone game I ever played. I remember being so impressed with the FMV cut scenes and the gore.

FFVII - Still my favourite game ever

G-Police - Really like this one. Got it recently on the vita and its only average really.

Colony Wars - loved this one

Rage Racer - was never a fan of the ridge racer ones but this one was great. I used to love burning around the tracks in my pick up truck.

Have to mention Tekken as well.

Its hard to pick 5 for the PSone really. So many great games. Def the best console ever released I think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FFVII: Not my first RPG and certainly not the best but it got me into Japanese RPGs in a big way and it's still my favourite genre.

Resident Evil: I was a sega fanboy but when I played Resident Evil for the first time I realised I needed a PS1 and not a Saturn.

Final Fantasy Tactics: My first import game and the game I modded my Playstation to play. Ever since I started importing due to this game and getting into ebay I've been broke ever since.

Couldn't say any other games changed my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I love the FFIX love here, it remains the pinnacle of the series imo.

I mitched off school to make sure I was first in the queue to pick it up on launch day. :D

I got Resident Evil at Christmas as a 11 year old. Scared the jaysus out of me. The dog through the window early on :pac:

I pretty much agree with your list otherwise. FF7 wasn't as good as FF6 or FF9 but there is no denying how influential and important it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

My list is the same as OP's except for I'd have Tomb Raider instead of FF7.

I can remember playing FF7 on a PS1 in my local toyshop and being totally lost.

While I loved Resident Evil I was way too scared to play it so I used to beg my older cousin to play it so I could watch him.

Some great memories and shared experiences over the years with video games, here's to many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Resident Evil 1+2
    Metal Gear Solid
    Abes odyssey
    ff7

rest never really caught my attention or made me go wow
    top 4 were the ones I always replayed :)
    if i had to pick a 5th id go with tekken 3

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

FFVII
    I first played this at a friend's house and laughed at 'the spiky haired blocky dude who spins his sword around', but after a few hours watching it I was hooked. When I got it myself I ended up playing it start to finish maybe 3-4 times.

FFVIII
    This game had a major impact on me as I played it pretty much non stop for 3 months In hospital when I was seriously ill. When I look back at this game I still feel like it helped pull me through one of the toughest times of my life.

Tekken 3
    Just blew away the competition IMO. I studied most of the characters moves and went to Quirkys trying to beat the chinese kids.

Metal Gear Solid
    Such a great story, very unique gameplay for its day.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    I loved the gameplay, the world, the story, wonderful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Resident evil all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Soul Reaver , Legacy of Kain, Metal Gear , Resident Evil all amazing games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Metal gear solid

Tekken 3

Gran Turismo

ISS pro

Time Crisis

Proper games that got endless hours of time... Nostalgia 101

Another shout out goes for when I tried to play Resident Evil when I was about 13 an I got as far as the dog in the window and never played a horror type game till this day

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

Driver 2; got me hooked on the series. Don't think I played any missions until about a year after I bought it. First game with bendy roads too! :)

FIFA World Cup 2002; first FIFA game I played. Got every one since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

TOCA Touring cars. Hundreds of hours playing that game. The engine noise alone had me hooked. Then when you went into first person view the noise was class!

Bought a Honda Accord a few years ago and I pretended I was racing around Silverstone when I was testing driving her.

I salute you my good friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Resident Evil, still remember a bunch of us trying to finish it in 3hrs to unlock the rocket launcher.

MGS= even my dad wanted to watch me play to see how the story played out.

FFVII, put a rake of hours into it, was my first proper RPG, had only really played Zelda before then and a few goes of Secret of Mana on the SNES.

Kula World, not exactly a prolific title but really enjoyable, got addicted to it.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, still brilliantly playable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

T-Rex demo. Seriously, I was awestruck by the graphics when I first got the PlayStation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,261 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

My memories of FFVII is chocobo breeding to get knights of round materia. That's pretty much all I can remember!

Advertisement