Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Corp 2014

Options
  • 24-05-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I was accepted to do my Online Ability Test.

I have decided to research some more about the Irish Air Corp. And have come upon a few threads around the internet explaining that the Irish Air Corp is not what it seems. That there is favoritism with in the army and while my ultimate goal is to be a commercial airline pilot there is guarantee that I will be flying planes. This has confused me. I know about all the jobs that are in the Air Corp but it seems as if there is no real reasons to apply if there is no chance of become an air force pilot. I don't want to mop the floors for 12 years. Also I'm not Irish and when I speak English it is very visible that I'm not Irish. So if there is corruption in the Army and I'm not Irish I wouldn't be surprise if I'd be at the bottom.

Right now I am in the middle. I have been preparing for these tests making sure I can do as well as I can in order maximize my success.

Any input on this would be great. If its my paranoia then please do point it out!
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

This is your first post well done and welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

You don't make clear what you're applying for. A cadetship to become an officer or as a private/airman. If its a cadetship then it will be to become a pilot. You won't be mopping floors. If you enlist as an airman you will never be a pilot in the Air Corps. You may mop floors at some point but you will get to fly in aircraft but not as a pilot.

I'm not sure what you mean by corruption in the army as I would say the military is probably the least corrupt of all state bodies.

You will also need near perfect English to make it as an military officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Archikuus

folbotcar wrote: »
    You don't make clear what you're applying for. A cadetship to become an officer or as a private/airman. If its a cadetship then it will be to become a pilot. You won't be mopping floors. If you enlist as an airman you will never be a pilot in the Air Corps. You may mop floors at some point but you will get to fly in aircraft but not as a pilot.

I'm not sure what you mean by corruption in the army as I would say the military is probably the least corrupt of all state bodies.

Its cadetship, forgive me for not making it clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

You can start by adding an 's' to the end of the word 'corp', which does not actually exist in the English language.

The word is actually a derivation from the French word meaning a 'body of men', derived originally from the Latin word 'corpus' - 'body' as found in some church names. An example of this is the common 'Corpus Christi [Body of Christ - also part of the Latic Mass and spoken at the Communion].

Please read - A corps (/ˈkɔər/ "core"; the plural is spelled the same as singular but pronounced /ˈkɔərz/ "cores"; from French, from the Latin corpus "body") is either a large military formation composed of two or more divisions, or an administrative grouping of troops within an armed force with a common function, such as Artillery or Signals. Corps may also refer to a particular unit or a particular branch of service, such as the United States Marine Corps, the Corps of Royal Marines, the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen at Arms, or the Corps of Commissionaires.

The military term was subsequently adopted for public service organizations with a paramilitary command structure, volunteer public service organizations, such as the Peace Corps, various ambulance corps, some NGOs (non-government organizations), and other civic volunteer organizations. Due to this use of the term, it has also spread to some other civic or volunteer organizations that lack the paramilitary structure.

I have to admit to being a mite flummoxed by this statement of yours - 'So if there is corruption in the Army and I'm not Irish I wouldn't be surprise if I'd be at the bottom.'

What on earth do you mean by that remark?

And you want to be an officer?

You, Sir, have a pretty strange idea about how the PDF functions, that's for sure.

Just sayin'

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Also good standard of Irish?

• Advertisement

Well, Irish IS the language of the country...and all words of command on parades et al are given in Irish, as I recall.

Most native-born Irish in the RoI have at least school-leaving certificate level in the Irish language - many, like my father was, are bi-lingual.

It might prove problematical, maybe not - we'll have to wait for an officer or former officer in the PDF to comment. Here in UK joining a Welsh or Gurkha regiment without any knowledge of either language means a very steep learning curve for any young officer, especially in the Gurkhas, where English is not well-understood by the junior ranks. THEY in turn have to learn English...

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I wouldn't say thats correct, some, very few that enlisted have gone on to be officers/pilots, although Id say its not as easy as if someone could get a cadetship, neither do I see why there is an exclusive connection, unlike the Army Air Corps (British Army).

tac foley wrote: »
    Well, Irish IS the language of the country...and all words of command on parades et al are given in Irish, as I recall.

Most native-born Irish in the RoI have at least school-leaving certificate level in the Irish language - many, like my father was, are bi-lingual.

It might prove problematical, maybe not - we'll have to wait for an officer or former officer in the PDF to comment. Here in UK joining a Welsh or Gurkha regiment without any knowledge of either language means a very steep learning curve for any young officer, especially in the Gurkhas, where English is not well-understood by the junior ranks. THEY in turn have to learn English...

tac

learned by rote, just like school, dont need to understand it, just know what the command means you have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NewSigGuy

Couple af points/answers.. All AC pilots have completed a Cadetship. Some may have been Enlisted previously and then were successful in the Cadet competition, they then completed the Cadetship from the very start.

Irish Language wise it is very rudimentary and literally is just understanding the Basic Marching Orders ETC. Leaving Cert Irish or a Modern Language is the Criteria, I think!!

Well, if you don't have to speak your own language, and English doesn't have to be of any particular standard either, what other modern language would be acceptable to the cadet board?

Arabic?

Mandarin?

Tagalog?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

cerastes wrote: »
    I wouldn't say thats correct, some, very few that enlisted have gone on to be officers/pilots, although Id say its not as easy as if someone could get a cadetship, neither do I see why there is an exclusive connection, unlike the Army Air Corps (British Army).

learned by rote, just like school, dont need to understand it, just know what the command means you have to do.

Dont learn by rote, if your going to spend any time learning a language you might as well use a method that will show some results for the time you put in. There are lots of very good language learning methods out there . Im currently learning Irish, understanding how something works makes it stick far better than just memorizing certain parts.

• Advertisement

Well, if you don't have to speak your own language, and English doesn't have to be of any particular standard either, what other modern language would be acceptable to the cadet board?

Arabic?

Mandarin?

Tagalog?

tac

Any of those would be more useful than Irish, I'd think we should promote some of the Scandinavian?Nordic languages.
    daithicarr wrote: »
    Dont learn by rote, if your going to spend any time learning a language you might as well use a method that will show some results for the time you put in. There are lots of very good language learning methods out there . Im currently learning Irish, understanding how something works makes it stick far better than just memorizing certain parts.

I was using the example about orders in the PDF being in irish, its known what the orders are, more from rote repetition, ask anyone to spell or what exactly it means and it will be the same as if you asked the vast majority in this country. They know what foot the order is given on and what it means they are meant to do.

Taken from Military.ie.. took 30 secs...

A minimum of Grade D3 in the following Ordinary/Higher level subjects:

Mathematics.
    Irish (NUI matriculation exemptions apply).
    English. (Candidates whose first language is not English must satisfy the English language requirements in accordance with NUI Matriculations Regulations).
    Third language (accepted for NUI Matriculation Registration purposes. NUI matriculations exemptions apply).
    Any two Matriculation subjects not already selected.
    - See more at: http://www.military.ie/careers/air-corp/cadetships/qualifications/#sthash.oMkJ8NH2.dpuf

The Exemption means that those who were educated outside of Ireland can still apply.

Just to correct creatses, you will not, not ever become a pilot in the Air Corps from the ranks unless you get a cadetship. In WW2 there were Sergeant pilots. But never again.

Just to correct creatses, you will not, not ever become a pilot in the Air Corps from the ranks unless you get a cadetship. In WW2 there were Sergeant pilots. But never again.

I think you misinterpreted my post, I said a few enlisted have gone on to become officers/pilots. Completing the cadet course is a prerequisite of being an officer and that is a prerequisite of being a pilot. I never said enlisted ranks go directly to become pilots, as I described "Unlike the Army Air Corps (of The British Army) where it is possible.

"I wouldn't say thats correct, some, very few that enlisted have gone on to be officers/pilots, although Id say its not as easy as if someone could get a cadetship, neither do I see why there is an exclusive connection, unlike the Army Air Corps (British Army)."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 airbuspilot

After your you finish your flight training and get your military wings. What is the story with the different squadrons. Do you get to chose in someway which squadron. How long would it take to progress to the ministerial transport squadron for example.
    Thanks for any replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

You can start by adding an 's' to the end of the word 'corp', which does not actually exist in the English language.

The word is actually a derivation from the French word meaning a 'body of men', derived originally from the Latin word 'corpus' - 'body' as found in some church names. An example of this is the common 'Corpus Christi [Body of Christ - also part of the Latic Mass and spoken at the Communion].

It does exist in the Irish language, as anyone who did "An Corp" by Mícheál Ó Siochfhradha will testify - but even as you suggest Tac it has no military usage even as Gaeilge.

OP - I would imagine some proficiency in Irish would be required if for no other reason than to follow the drill instructions (are they still issued in Irish?)

Get your 'Ar agahaidh' mixed up with your 'ar ais' and there'd be 'problems'.....

In Irish the part of the PDF known in English as The Air Corps is 'an tAerchór'.

Even the comic story you note 'An Corp' - 'The Body' in English - is a word borrowed from Latin and is unknown far and wide outside Ireland.

If the OP is using the English language, then my point stands - 'air corp' is neither English nor Irish.

There, so.

tac

In Irish the part of the PDF known in English as The Air Corps is 'an tAerchór'.

Even the comic story you note 'An Corp' - 'The Body' in English - is a word borrowed from Latin and is unknown far and wide outside Ireland.

If the OP is using the English language, then my point stands - 'air corp' is neither English nor Irish.

There, so.

tac

Eh, I don't think I was disputing your point, but ok.....

Apologies, if I read your post wrong, but I thought as one Irishman to another half-Irishman that it was an open invitation for a fight. :)

Mr Jawgap, I have to tell you that I'm cruelly disappointed.... :(

tac

Apologies, if I read your post wrong, but I thought as one Irishman to another half-Irishman that it was an open invitation for a fight. :)

Mr Jawgap, I have to tell you that I'm cruelly disappointed.... :(

tac

You sound like my old Irish teacher.......

.......were you in the Christian Brothers.....:)

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »
    You sound like my old Irish teacher.......

.......were you in the Christian Brothers.....:)

Alas, no, I went to a nice local yeshivah like most other Jewish boys of my age.

tac

I suppose we should get back on topic before a mod happens by......

......OP are you an Irish citizen? I think the Defence Act requires PDF personnel to hold citizenship (but I'm open to correction on that).

EDIT: Looks like that provision applies to officers only.

AAMOI, are there any pilot aircrew who are not officers in the Air Corps?

tac

tac

No, not unless things have changed, and while things do change, even in the PDF, its slowly, that will never be looked upon kindly by some quarters.
    Anyway dont you know those uneducated enlisted slobs couldn't possibly fly? that would put them on par with their superiors and it just wouldn't look good.
    Keep em busy with pointless tasks, otherwise they might mutiny
    Now, where's my batman? I need my shoes polished.

So, if the OP wanted to 'drive' anybody around, including ministers and so on, he would have to first be an officer cadet...

He'd better be getting a move on, then, eh?

tac

tac

No. All Pilot's in the Irish Air Corps are Officers and have completed a cadetship. Very unlikely to change, I am surprised this question gets asked so often.

I asked the question in the nature of an exercise, since the OP didn't bother to do so, and wanted to make the point that he will need to get his skates under his education levels to stand any chance of a cadetship in the PDF and ultimately flying as a driver rather than 'talking ballast'.

tac

the ballast shouldn't speak, unless spoken to

I believe the technically correct term is 'self-loading freight' :)

• Advertisement

While you cannot become a pilot in the Air Corps unless you get a cadetship. Many enlisted men over the years were aviation enthusiasts and wannabee pilots who joined up for the chance to work on or fly in military aircraft as aircrew but who also used their time to train for their pilots licence. Including I think a regular contributor to this forum.

They used their time to save up, often through saving overseas allowances in the Lebanon or elsewhere and train as commercial pilots. Then when the opportunity is right move onto the airlines or other jobs.

I know several people who did that. The irony is as one Air Corps pilot ruefully pointed out to me is that sometimes the airman he worked with had more hours than him because he was a part time Instructor while still serving.

Not only that more than one Air Corps pilot on leaving the Air Corps and joining an airline has had the experience of meeting a former NCO sitting opposite him in the left seat wearing four bars.

I mention this because getting a cadetship isn't the be all and end all. Cadetships are hard to get and there are other ways of flying in the military even if not as a pilot.

Advertisement