Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wearing my Wedding Dress again?

Options
  • 24-05-2014 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I'm just wondering what the "norm" is here...my wedding will be really small, just immediate family, and after our honeymoon we are throwing a big party for friends and family. Is it the usual to wear your wedding dress again for this?

I know ultimately it's up to me, just wondering what others have done in similar situations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

A friend of mine got married abroad and had a big party when they came home - she wore the wedding dress when she arrived at the party, then changed into a more casual (and comfortable!) dress halfway through the evening. I've heard of others doing the same thing.

Any wedding I've been at like that, the bride has worn the same dress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RainbowPepper

Thanks! To be honest it hadn't even dawned on me that it was an option until someone I spoke to was appalled at the idea that I wouldn't wear it! I do like the idea of changing half way through into something more comfortable too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I'm just wondering what the "norm" is here...my wedding will be really small, just immediate family, and after our honeymoon we are throwing a big party for friends and family. Is it the usual to wear your wedding dress again for this?

I know ultimately it's up to me, just wondering what others have done in similar situations?

I have been to two wedding after parties after the couples married abroad and the whole bridal parties wore their wedding stuff at both.

It definitely adds to the wedding feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

One of my in laws got married and had small wedding but had an after get-to-gether at home. She wore the wedding dress for a wee while at the after party. I thought it was strange at the time. But it was lovely.

It was mostly for the older folks, who knew her mum and dad, and who knew her as a wee child. They loved it. It was special. And you only get one chance to do it. Have a lovely day..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 RainbowPepper

Thank you, you're all lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Andiewoo

Was at a wedding forst one was in oz second on Eire and she wore same dress x

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Andiewoo

*first

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

I would have loved a chance to wear my wedding dress a second time - go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

I would have loved a chance to wear my wedding dress a second time - go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

go with what feels right for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 brassbutterfly

I'd definitely wear it! Why not add that special feeling to the occasion!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tellmeaboutit

I'm doing the same thing - very small intimate wedding abroad for our vows and a nice long weekend of bonding with just immediate family and then a party in both our home countries with extended family and friends.

I haven't decided exactly what I will do yet but I am leaning toward not wearing my long wedding gown for the parties back home.... I thought I might feel a bit strange doing that since its not our actual wedding and wearing a short white dress would be more appropriate for what it is and probably match better with the other guests in semiformal attire.... not to mention more comfortable!

I agree with other posters - do what feels right to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I didn't wear mine for a party we had a week after the wedding. I personally would have felt very odd wearing it to what was such a casual event. I did wear a nice outfit and had a great night. I felt we had our wedding already and this was just a get together with neighbours, work friends, casual friends and it wouldn't feel right for me. It wasn't a bit wedding reception type of thing. Just finger food and drinks in our local.

Another friend who got married in Cyprus, both sets of parents couldn't come so they had a party in the house when they got back and she wore her dress, she also got flowers as well and her husband also dressed up in his suit. It was lovely for the people who could not make the wedding to see her dress and the groom all dressed up as well.

It's a person thing, do what makes you feel happy.

Advertisement