Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Strava (or other) segments affect your choice of route?

Options
  • 24-05-2014 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Do Strava (or Garmin etc) segments affect your choice of route?

I ask as was out for an easy 10K this morning on one of my usual routes when I remembered there were 2 Strava segments of 1K and 1.1K close by if I took a small detour and were easily beatable to get course record on them if I went at about 5K race pace on them. Normally I'm quite disciplined, as in run easy on easy day or tempo on tempo day but wasn't today!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

yeah, been getting stuck into Strava the last couple of weeks and I've found myself racing little segments when I shouldn't be. Good fun though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Just wondering, if I use my garmin to record a run can I upload it to strava? And if over the course of my run I'm faster over a segment will I be put on the leader board, without specifically going out to be? (I hope that makes sense!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Finnt wrote: »
    Just wondering, if I use my garmin to record a run can I upload it to strava? And if over the course of my run I'm faster over a segment will I be put on the leader board, without specifically going out to be? (I hope that makes sense!)

Upload your run (used to be automatic before Garmin express), but just save your workout as a tcx file.
    Once your privacy settings are open the segments will update automatically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

It's great for a bit of fartlek type runs. If I'm doing an easy run, I'll go hard over a short strava section for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Just wondering, if I use my garmin to record a run can I upload it to strava?

Strava works with near all watches, for my FR410 it detects a new activity from the ANT agent activity folder, for my FR220 and FR620 it will detect the watch if connected to the laptop/pc otherwise you could download the activity from Garmin Connect and upload it to Strava. Another way is to use http://www.copymysports.com which will copy your activites from Garmin Connect and upload them to Strava for you. I used to use it thou there can be a delay, anything from an hour to a day.

• Advertisement

Must try it! I downloaded the app there's a few around here seem a bit soft!! Great idea using it as part of a fartlek run, are the segments picked at random?

Must try it! I downloaded the app there's a few around here seem a bit soft!! Great idea using it as part of a fartlek run, are the segments picked at random?

No, users create them. I've a good few around Cork created

I assume it knows whether you running up hills or down them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

viperlogic wrote: »
    Do Strava (or Garmin etc) segments affect your choice of route?

In a word no :)

Friend of mine who cycles a lot is all over it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

If I'm feeling good and out on a training run I will have a go at the odd segment.

Plenty of little segments around town now, and a handful of runners contesting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

I assume it knows whether you running up hills or down them?

I was wondering about this last night actually. I was surprised that I got a PR for Military Road last night but then I was running downhill as opposed to my usual uphill on this segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    If I'm feeling good and out on a training run I will have a go at the odd segment.

Plenty of little segments around town now, and a handful of runners contesting them.

And the emails about lost course records will keep coming.....

snailsong wrote: »

Some can be reclaimed, others not so much!

snailsong wrote: »

It can get additive……one time when out in Sant Feliu near Girona in Spain on holidays I went for a fast run around the hills. There was one nasty steep hill that I attacked and when got back home uploaded the run to Strava and noticed I got CR/KOM on it and a few other hills around Sant Feliu. An hour later I got an email saying that I lost the CR. Strange I taught at first for it to be beaten so fast but didn’t take much more notice. Few days later decided to do the same loop and try and get the CR/KOM again in which I did. An hour later while relaxing in the sun sipping away a nice well-earned cold pint near that hill, I see a guy flying up it and was thinking no way, is that the guy. 30mins later got the email saying that I had lost CR/KOM!!! Went to google the guy, it was ex pro cyclist Lilian Jégou !!!

And yes, he still has the CR/KOM but I will be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭crisco10

shane1981 wrote: »
    I was wondering about this last night actually. I was surprised that I got a PR for Military Road last night but then I was running downhill as opposed to my usual uphill on this segment.

Yep, it does. There are a few roads in my area with segments in both directions (with different times)...The uphill isn't always slower than the downhill though!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

I use the iOS app Connect Stats to export from Garmin to Strava

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Was trying to do this... Do you have to have the privacy I locked for all activities you want to transfer? If so any quick way to do it as it seems to be I can only do it for all new activities... Alternative seems to be to do it manually one by one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

https://tapiriik.com/

Can transfer all your garmins to Strava.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

nerraw1111 wrote: »

Yeah, and with this you can have it transfer all your private workouts too,

nerraw1111 wrote: »

And Garmin and Strava will handle any duplicates too I suppose?

If an activity exists on both, it won't create it again ( i hope)?

Just running it now.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to trying this out now!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Would have said no before, but I've just started using it for cycling, and it turns out I have 7th place on a short segment near my house and want to improve on that... :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Upload your run (used to be automatic before Garmin express), but just save your workout as a tcx file.
    Once your privacy settings are open the segments will update automatically

I uninstalled Garmin Express and went back to using the ANT software that actually works.

I downloaded the strava app yesterday, I used it this morning. I cr'ed over a .2 mile section, the run was mostly easy but I knew I'd be running the segment so went hard over it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

definitely affects some people near me. some of the more regular running routes have some segments, whereby most people do the segment in the middle of their run. someone has been going around and sprinting just the segments themselves, starting and finishing their run at the segment start/end just to get the top spot.

more power to him, taking the kom that way doesn't bother me, i just couldn't use up running time like that when it could be enjoyed so much more

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

opus wrote: »
    In a word no :)

Friend of mine who cycles a lot is all over it though.

I'd see the claiming of segments are easier pastime for those on wheels anyway, they can just roll around taking it easy in between segments and then bury themselves to claim an uphill segment. When running between segments and taking it easy though you still have to run so does not really suit going around a route trying to claim them in the same way.

Never considered the ones driving out and just going for a particular segment!

I always run to the segment I want to do and then make an attempt. Hopefully be in a good state to make a good attempt at the segment then.

I have seen issues with people doing a lot of running segments on bikes, mostly a mistake on their part, but with all the mutlisport events around Westport, come summer loads of the running segments get taken by people on bikes.

I once seen someone take a load cycling segments around Mayo, and comment on their "Ride", Ignore any KOMs, was done in a car! Instead of marking their activity as other! It was promptly flagged as an issue anyways.

Read this yesterday, had a go at a few KOM's on my run home. Got one, victory!

It's a minor irritation alright when people log a ride as a run. Lot's of that in the Phoenix park too. I was looking at a segment along the military road there; a few people apparently doing steady 2:xx min/km with a heart rate of ~140BPM! That's a serious pace or someone on a bike!

Any suspicious results can be easily flagged in Strava and its removed from the results. Typically its a cycle logged as a run or the watch left on on the drive home

• Advertisement

viperlogic wrote: »
    Any suspicious results can be easily flagged in Strava and its removed from the results. Typically its a cycle logged as a run or the watch left on on the drive home

Yeah, I always feel like a bit of a rat doing that. lol

Advertisement