If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Assigning up for JobSeekers allowance

  • 24-05-2014 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5


    I want to apply for an internship from JobBridge which you need to have a jobSeekers allowance. I currently do not have one due to finishing college.

    Could I sign up for JobSeekers in a difference county (depending where in the internship is held) even though I do not have an address in that county? My home address is in Co. Mayo, but could I apply for the allowance in, say Dublin, or Galway?

    Hope this is clear.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

    Before being eligible for JobBridge you will have to be in receipt of a Jobseekers payment for 3 months or more in the past 6 months.

    To apply for Jobseekers Allowance you have to provide documentary evidence of your current address at the time of the application and apply for it at the office closest to your address.

    You can apply for a JobBridge internship anywhere in the country but bear in mind that the payment will be whatever JobBridge Allowance payment you are awarded plus 50 Euro. You are not given a travel or accommodation allowance.

    These links are helpful
    Jobseekers Allowance

  • Registered Users Posts: 5 dougie1809

    Thanks for your reply.

    I see. I forget to mention that I was on a JobSeeker's allowance (the X's and O's slip plus part time job) for about 6 months last year, which I stopped in order to do my last year in college.

    Due to this, could I not re-apply for an internship JobSeekers allowance because I was already on it for 6 months?
    I will also look at the links you provided.

    Thanks again

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

    No, you can't link Jobseekers payment periods in order to be eligible for a JobBridge internship. You have to be currently in receipt of a qualifying payment and "have been for 3 months (78 days) or more in the last 6 months."

  • Registered Users Posts: 5 dougie1809

    Ah ok. That makes sense.
    Thanks for the helpful replies.