Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working without a contract

Options
  • 23-05-2014 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi guys

I'm working as a receptionist in a hostel. I have been treated very badly, shouted at by my employer in front of customers and forced to work when I was ill and essentially high on medication when I suffered an injury at work. My phone was stolen at work, they pretty much said it was my own problem.

Their are lots of other incidents where I was treated pretty unfairly however I don't actually have a contract.

Can anyone advise as to my situation??

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What's your exact question?

Is it that working without a written contract affects your rights?

If so the answer is no, you can have a verbal contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Not good management ,allowing employees to shout at receptionist in front of guests, wouldn't be visiting that hotel again if i was the guest,
    saying that, is it just one employee and have you reported it to management?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Can anyone advise as to my situation??

Find another job ASAP...?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Do a google on NERA, some good advice on workers rights etc. Best of luck.
    If your phone was in plain sight, no one would cover that, but if it was locked away and someone broke in to get it, you may be entitled to make a claim for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 oneshot2shots

The doctors say there was no way I should be working. I was shouted at in front of customers. By reported it to management its a small hostel the management consist of a brother and a sister. Stheno pretty much answered the question was just wondering if I had no rights just because I didn't get a contract, which they said they'd draft but havn't in the 6 months since.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The doctors say there was no way I should be working. I was shouted at in front of customers. By reported it to management its a small hostel the management consist of a brother and a sister. Stheno pretty much answered the question was just wondering if I had no rights just because I didn't get a contract, which they said they'd draft but havn't in the 6 months since.

Did your doctor issue with a sick note? And Is it a full time job, because here you said you were starting an IT job :confused:

Advertisement