Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayrhofen or Soll

Options
  • 23-05-2014 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks I need some advice.

I am plannning a skiing trip for New Years week. I have decided it is gonna be Mayrhofen or Soll but dont know which resort would suit us better.

There will be 7 of us going. I am the only 1 who has skiied before, that was only the once and the rest are absolute beginners, 2 of whch probably wont ski they are just going for the experience. Can anyone let me know which resort would be better for beginner skiing, apres ski and none sking activities.

Thanks any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

I've been to Mayrhofen 3 times in the last year and spent most of it up on the glacier in Hintertux. I don't like the après ski in Mayrhofen but a lot of others do. The ice bar really wrecks my head.

The main gondola in Mayrhofen which takes you up to where all the ski schools meet has long queues in the morning. Someone else can tell you how long it takes. I've heard of people queuing for almost an hour. I only went up it on a Friday when there was no queue.

I learnt to snowboard in Soll and would highly recommend it as an area to learn in. There's a bit of a walk to the gondola but you could take the bus. The ski area where you'll learn is wide and not too steep for a beginner. Plenty of room to make mistakes. Plenty of restaurants in the bowl area too.

I also prefer the après ski in Soll. I stayed in Scheffau last February and boarded around most of the skiwelt area each day. 3 times I finished in Soll and got a taxi back to Scheffau. I think I've stayed in Soll 4 times.

Lots of Russians in Mayrhofen the week you want to go. Families as opposed to the mail order bride variety. Amazingly there was no snow in the town during the same week last January. That just means you won't slip on ice leaving a bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Oooh, emmmm... Soll!! Great advice above, Soll is well suited to what you need, however you need to get your accommodation booked ASAP no matter where you go. Try emailing the tourist board http://www.wilderkaiser.info/en/soell/info/wilder-kaiser-tourist-information-center-soell.html, and there is already lots of info in the Soll thread about the other bits & pieces :)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

For me Mayrhofen is great - but have skied many times before.
    Soll is quite low altitude and there was a bus from the village to the slopes - good apres ski

Advertisement