Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay for CID or leave

Options
  • 23-05-2014 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I have been teaching for the past 2 years in a school. I have had my own full hours in a school I really like. The only problem is it's in the wrong location.

I recently heard of a job (nearly full hours) closer to home but this would mean starting from scratch again and building up my years for CID. With voluntary redeployment coming in I don't know what to do.

Should I apply for jobs closer to home or wait the next two years here get my CID and then apply for redeployment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

Apply for the job in the place you want to be and decide whether to take it or not if you get it!

I wouldn't be relying on voluntary redeployment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

Apply for the job in the place you want to be and decide whether to take it or not if you get it!

I wouldn't be relying on voluntary redeployment.

Apply for the other job. I'm mot being negative but it might not be something you will have to worry about.

If youre offered the job then think about it. Dont worry and stress needlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Enquirer84

Hi,

does anyone know of any information regarding the likelihood of voluntary redployment being rolled out this coming year, or indeed know of any source where such information could be found? I rang the ASTI but they dont have anything to say other then it is being talked about. Im in a similar position, CID in the east but wish to move west. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Enquirer84 wrote: »
    Hi,

does anyone know of any information regarding the likelihood of voluntary redployment being rolled out this coming year, or indeed know of any source where such information could be found? I rang the ASTI but they dont have anything to say other then it is being talked about. Im in a similar position, CID in the east but wish to move west. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

That seems to be a common predicament.

The ETBs covering counties Galway, Roscommon, Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim and Donegal have been doing voluntary redeployment for the past two years. Lots of schools are way over quota up here. I think Sligo county alone was 10 teachers over quota.

We were given a list of the schools last year that were over quota (which as far as I could see was most of them!) and teachers could apply for voluntary redeployment if a vacancy came up. A teacher in my school got a place closer to home (also in the west) by this means, but was replaced by a teacher who was in a school that was over quota and was moved under compulsory redeployment.

This will most likely continue where there are matches before people from outside Connacht/Donegal are considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

"We were given a list of the schools last year that were over quota"

Hi Rainbowtrout, who released the schools names that were over quota? (was it an etb or the dept)

• Advertisement

"We were given a list of the schools last year that were over quota"

Hi Rainbowtrout, who released the schools names that were over quota? (was it an etb or the dept)

I don't really know to be honest, it was just something we were handed at school. I imagine schools/ETBs put together their allocations, submit lists of schools to the Dept and it was compiled from that.

We were only given that list so we could see what schools we could apply to if we wanted voluntary redeployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Hi,

Might have picked this up wrong.... but you do know if voluntary redeployment is introduced for teachers you would be 'barred' from taking up another position in the public service for a number of years.. think its currently five. I personally think it will be introduced (from what I have been hearing from union) in the next 2-3 years for certain sectors such as PLC/Further Education etc.

trihead wrote: »
    Might have picked this up wrong.... but you do know if voluntary redeployment is introduced for teachers you would be 'barred' from taking up another position in the public service for a number of years.. think its currently five. I personally think it will be introduced (from what I have been hearing from union) in the next 2-3 years for certain sectors such as PLC/Further Education etc.

Redeployment is not redundancy. Redeployment is being moved to an equivalent job in a different location.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Apologies I did get that so wrong... must be half asleep to get those mixed up.

Re Voluntary redeployment - there was an request within our ETB this year (located east coast) to move to another school within the ETB ( posted on staff board looking for interested staff). It didn't get much interest as it stated that teachers would lose A & B posts if moved - many of the teachers who would be looking for a move would be teaching a while and hold such posts.

[
    QUOTE=trihead;91505402]Apologies I did get that so wrong... must be half asleep to get those mixed up.

Re Voluntary redeployment - there was an request within our ETB this year (located east coast) to move to another school within the ETB ( posted on staff board looking for interested staff). It didn't get much interest as it stated that teachers would lose A & B posts if moved - many of the teachers who would be looking for a move would be teaching a while and hold such posts.[/QUOTE]

ya posts don't travel because they are attached to the school. Unless it meant somebody had a seriously shorter commute so it meant better life outside school or financially they were the same I can't imagine anyone would take up that offer if they were going to end up worse off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

you'ld be surprised though, if you had a mortgage in dublin you could rent out and pay way less rent (or mortgage) in some parts of ireland. This would negate the loss of a post, and if you had a post then chances are 'when'(big when) the next one comes up in a new school you would have the experience behind you!
    Depends on where you are moving to though and costs involved etc.

Armelodie wrote: »
    you'ld be surprised though, if you had a mortgage in dublin you could rent out and pay way less rent (or mortgage) in some parts of ireland. This would negate the loss of a post, and if you had a post then chances are 'when'(big when) the next one comes up in a new school you would have the experience behind you!
    Depends on where you are moving to though and costs involved etc.

True, but in trihead's case it was within the same ETB so not a large geographical area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Enquirer84

Great feedback everyone. So it appears that voluntary redeployment is on the rise in Connaught anyway. One question I still have is whether it would be possible to apply for voluntary redeployment FROM a school that is not over quota?
    Also, does anyone have experience of, or information on, teacher swaps advertised in the ASTI circulars? I contacted the ASTI but they dont take any responsibility or part in it. They are aware of it but hold no opinion on it. Basically turn a blind eye.

Great feedback everyone. So it appears that voluntary redeployment is on the rise in Connaught anyway. One question I still have is whether it would be possible to apply for voluntary redeployment FROM a school that is not over quota?
    Also, does anyone have experience of, or information on, teacher swaps advertised in the ASTI circulars? I contacted the ASTI but they dont take any responsibility or part in it. They are aware of it but hold no opinion on it. Basically turn a blind eye.

To be fair, I wouldn't hold my breath. It was set up because so many schools were over quota. I don't think there's an issue in applying if your school is not over quota as your position would be filled by someone from an over quota school if it was possible.

The other side of it is that a principal may not be willing to sign off on a voluntary redeployment when the school is not over quota because they don't know who they'll be getting in their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 howyenow

Sorry to drag up an old post.
    I have a CID in the south of the country but have always intended in moving back west.
    I don’t see redeployment as an option with overstaffing levels in the West of Ireland. That then leaves me with the option of applying for new hours (rpt only if I’m correct?) in schools and vacating my CID.
    I have had some people tell me to go for it and some people wonder if I have lost the plot to even suggest leaving a CID position.
    Just wondering what are the implications as regards leaving a cid position? Is it just that I must start at ground zero again to build up my years towards a CID?
    Any help greatly appreciated.

howyenow wrote: »

Just wondering what are the implications as regards leaving a cid position? Is it just that I must start at ground zero again to build up my years towards a CID?

Basically yes. If you want to live in the west, and you give up your job in the south, then you will have to start from scratch again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Seámus-Púbach

howyenow wrote: »
    I have a CID in the south of the country but have always intended in moving back west.
    I don’t see redeployment as an option with overstaffing levels in the West of Ireland. That then leaves me with the option of applying for new hours (rpt only if I’m correct?) in schools and vacating my CID.
    I have had some people tell me to go for it and some people wonder if I have lost the plot to even suggest leaving a CID position.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Same scenario. 3 years built up in Dublin. Fed up at not having a pot to piss in with the cost of living so probably going to have to bite the bullet and move west and start from scratch again. In a great school. Full hours.

But living in a ****e overpriced apartment just trying to get by week to week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I'd say we can't be far from a Dublin allowance, same wage doesn't go half the distance living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I'd say we can't be far from a Dublin allowance, same wage doesn't go half the distance living here.
    Surely there’s very little chance of this? Don’t get me wrong, I’m teaching in Dublin and I’d be delighted to get it but there’s no way this will happen, is there?
    There’s a difference between that and giving Gaeltacht/island allowances when there are clear reasons that working in those areas can be off putting, even aside from the financial disincentive. Surely, any government is just going to say that the cost of living in Dublin is offset by the advantages gained in terms of lifestyle? And even if there was a Dublin allowance, that would just push the costs up even further because the demand would still be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

What politician cares about young teachers who are displaced from their home counties and living in Dublin?

A Dublin allowance, while it should happen, won't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Wishful thinking probably. There genuinely aren't that many advantages though. MOst newer teachers don't even live here anymore, they're in Meath, Kildare, Offaly, Cavan etc.

Advertisement