Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using American Sim Card in Iphone 5 used on 3 network?

Options
  • 23-05-2014 3:08pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭

Going to america for the summer for a J1. I got a T-Mobile sim card to use in the US.

Will there be any issues using it in my Irish Iphone 5 which I have been using with the 3 mobile network here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

is the iphone locked to the 3 network? I dont think 3G will work in the US, just edge.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

is the iphone locked to teh 3 network?

I'm not sure, how do I know?

If it's locked, can I go to a 3 store to unlock it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

how long do you own it? Did you pay 6/700 or get it on a contract?

If on a contract its locked and they will charge you an unlock fee.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Pugzilla wrote: »
    I'm not sure, how do I know?

If it's locked, can I go to a 3 store to unlock it?

Try another sim card in it from another operator, borrow a micro sim from a friend on Vodafone or 02,

if it does not work with the other sim installed, it is locked to 3

3 would have to request Apple to unlock it for you, and operators will only do this if you've met certain criteria i.e. your 12/24 month contract has elapsed, or you've topped it up by a certain amount since you've had it (€200/€300).

when it has been unlocked by Apple, you restore it using iTunes, and you should see a message saying it is now unlocked to be used on any network.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

how long do you own it? Did you pay 6/700 or get it on a contract?

If on a contract its locked and they will charge you an unlock fee.

The phone was originally an upgrade for a family member on a bill pay package.

The phone was never used it and I was given the phone last January. I put my pre pay 3 sim card in it and have been using it since then.

Would it be locked in that case?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Pugzilla wrote: »
    The phone was originally an upgrade for a family member on a bill pay package.

The phone was never used it and I was given the phone last January. I put my pre pay 3 sim card in it and have been using it since then.

Would it be locked in that case?

It will be locked, and whoever originally had it issued to them on bill pay will need to call up and request the unlock

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Put in the request here: 3 Unlock request

Advertisement