Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

turn off app updates

Options
  • 23-05-2014 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

Can app updates be turned off in lumia 520? i have 18 updates i do not want or need. when i go on my home wifi they seem to download

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

GoodLord wrote: »
    Can app updates be turned off in lumia 520? i have 18 updates i do not want or need. when i go on my home wifi they seem to download

Why do you want to turn them off?
    App updates are to improve performance and quality of said apps. (99% of times)

Do you use the apps where updates are available? Uninstall the apps you don't use so you won't be notified of updates for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

mark_m360 wrote: »
    Why do you want to turn them off?
    App updates are to improve performance and quality of said apps. (99% of times)

Do you use the apps where updates are available? Uninstall the apps you don't use so you won't be notified of updates for them.
    don't use apps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

don't use apps

Can they be un-installed, or are they bloat-ware.

Can they be un-installed, or are they bloat-ware.
    don'tsee how to uninstall i got 18 updates and do not want to have to uninstall them all. they seem to want phone identity owner identity etc

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

don'tsee how to uninstall i got 18 updates and do not want to have to uninstall them all. they seem to want phone identity owner identity etc

If you want to uninstall apps, swipe left into the apps listing, long press on an app and it will give you an option to uninstall the app.

• Advertisement

mark_m360 wrote: »
    If you want to uninstall apps, swipe left into the apps listing, long press on an app and it will give you an option to uninstall the app.
    not all of them have the option to uninstall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

I'm sure if you have a look on Youtube for explainer videos, you'll find what you need.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

not all of them have the option to uninstall

The ones without an uninstall option are the system apps, clean out what you can and then do the update.

The other option is to unpin the store tile and then at least you won't see the pending updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

That 'phone identity' permission is a bit misleading - as a developer, I can't get personal info about you unless you fill in a form and submit it.

I would be more concerned about access to a) location b) photos and c) contacts.

theothernt wrote: »
    That 'phone identity' permission is a bit misleading - as a developer, I can't get personal info about you unless you fill in a form and submit it.

I would be more concerned about access to a) location b) photos and c) contacts.
    i am not sure of the actual wording.
    as a developer, I can't get personal info about you unless you fill in a form and submit it.
    out of curoiosity if you developed a weather app would it not need owner's location to predict weather?. And would the location go to you or the app? And who would have access to it then wherever it goes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

out of curoiosity if you developed a weather app would it not need owner's location to predict weather?. And would the location go to you or the app? And who would have access to it then wherever it goes?

Weather apps usually ask for a user's location for convenience, but they should have a manual option, just in case.

But once an app has your location, you can't really guarantee how that location is used and where it's sent - the question becomes, do you trust the app and its developer(s) ?

theothernt wrote: »
    Weather apps usually ask for a user's location for convenience, but they should have a manual option, just in case.

But once an app has your location, you can't really guarantee how that location is used and where it's sent - the question becomes, do you trust the app and its developer(s) ?
    any of them i have seen want location and other details. Most apps seem to want personal info but my expereience with them is limited

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

One of the compromises of smartphones, iPads etc is that for most of the features to work you will need to give them some personal information (your name, phone number, location, email address etc)

As long as you use a bit of common sense in what apps you use I wouldn't see it as a problem to be honest - same applies to Internet usage in general.
    What I do is have a few email addresses for different things and only deal with reputable companies/sites etc

From the sounds of it though OP, if you don't use apps and have privacy concerns, you might be better getting an older phone from the likes of eBay that will just do texts and calls (the Nokia 6310i is still a very popular handset and was one of the best at the time for example).

Do bear in mind though that the general shift in most business, banking etc is to an online model so you will probably need to get on-board with the idea sooner or later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....they seem to want phone identity owner identity
    etc

I've noticed this a lot on Windows Phone.

I have a set of fake info I use, I don't even use my main email to set the phone up.

Location though, they don't all need that, but most seem to ask for it. Annoying.

Maybe this is the answer?

https://www.blackphone.ch/

Advertisement