Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Details of an 1893 Will

Options
  • 23-05-2014 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm really interested in a will of a person I think was an ancestor of mine . He died in Dublin in 1893 and is listed in the Calendar of Wills and Administrations for that year .

So can I see the details of the will and step by step how do I do it ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I take it you've already seen the entry in the Calendar of Wills on the NAI website?

If so, be prepared for the fact that it may be the only surviving record of it.

Dublin - the principle registry - was housed in the Four Courts, and it was burned down in 1922. Some fragments did survive and you should check in the National Archives testamentary card index to be totally sure.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I take it you've already seen the entry in the Calendar of Wills on the NAI website?

If so, be prepared for the fact that it may be the only surviving record of it.

Dublin - the principle registry - was housed in the Four Courts, and it was burned down in 1922. Some fragment,s did survive and you should check in the National Archives testamentary card index to be totally sure.

Thanks Pinky, where would I go to get access to the testamentary card index?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It's in the National Archives on Bishop St in Dublin. You'll need a reader's ticket, so check their website first.

Irish Origins have a version of it but I'm not sure if they keep it up to date. I haven't a sub for them at the moment so I can't check.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭cobham

You can visit the National Archives (closed on Saturday :( ) and check the records directly and staff will help you. You will get a reading card on the day, maybe have some ID with you. For a small fee (3 euro?) you can apply for a copy of the will and it will be posted out to you. I think the remaining ones are stored in a different location so it will take a week or so. I was lucky to find one for 1905 that I had assumed would not have survived the Customs House fire.

• Site Banned Posts: 4 Squawky

desbrook wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm really interested in a will of a person I think was an ancestor of mine . He died in Dublin in 1893 and is listed in the Calendar of Wills and Administrations for that year .

So can I see the details of the will and step by step how do I do it ?

It's unlikely you can contest the will given the statute of limitations etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Squawky wrote: »
    It's unlikely you can contest the will given the statute of limitations etc

You jest methinks ;)

Advertisement