Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company policies -No access

Options
  • 23-05-2014 10:42am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Long story short;
    My company are being a bit harsh to a fellow work lately, giving them informal 'chats' about what they consider inappropriate behaviour...
    At the same time this person has never been issued with a copy of the companies disciplinary procedure since they started, and many other policies too, sick pay, fair usage etc.(person has previously requested these policies)
    Question: Is the company at fault here, because they have not provide their employee with procedures and polices to guide the employee?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Doom wrote: »
    Hi,
    Long story short;
    My company are being a bit harsh to a fellow work lately, giving them informal 'chats' about what they consider inappropriate behaviour...
    At the same time this person has never been issued with a copy of the companies disciplinary procedure since they started, and many other policies too, sick pay, fair usage etc.(person has previously requested these policies)
    Question: Is the company at fault here, because they have not provide their employee with procedures and polices to guide the employee?

Sounds like your friend should look for a new job as he's obviously making an ass of himself.

How long has he been with the company? If it's less than a year, he can be shown the door at any time. Don't expect a process that involves verbal or written warnings.

Sick pay: unless it was in the contract, it doesn't exist.

Fair usage: don't use work resources for personal use.

Anything else?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Mate, you need some advice too, by the sounds of your reply.

I know what was said to the person and I also think the company are over stepping the mark too, its more of a "I'm the boss, do not question me" when infact the person has been reasonable (imo) in what they asked, I do not think they have broken any rules nor warrant any "warnings"

There are company polices for both procedures, the manger referenced them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Doom wrote: »
    Hi,
    Long story short;

what kinda stuff is this lad doin like ?

basically, without giving too much away...the person challenged some incorrect info, also this boss is not following company procedure....
    I'll leave it at that for now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's really too vague for you to get any definitive answers.

There's got to be some sort of common sense for employees to use when it comes to how to behave at work. And an informal chat is a good way of telling someone to cop on without going down the disciplinary route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Doom - an employee is entitled to see policies etc that a company relies on for standards of behaviour etc. You can't be expected to comply with a policy of which you have no knowledge - esp. if the company is deliberately withholding the relevant policy.

HOWEVER - a few things:

Many people would say that your colleague is having 'chats' with managers for some reason - there's usually no smoke w/o fire.....worth considering. And, if the company is that bad - then leave.

This is your 2nd vague post about what your company is 'doing' to colleagues - can they not look after themselves, and do you not have enough to do?

Companies are not perfect in their behaviours, neither are staff. Better if both try to get along amicably.

Many people seen to have forgotten about 'the power to command and the duty to obey'

I know....this company is going through some changes and lots of people getting railroaded atm, including myself, I know enough about the basics of labour law/ rights etc, sometimes the laws are hard to clearly understand...nothing wrong with getting a different and educated perspective from people out there.
    Truth be honest some companies are been scumbags to their employees during this recession.

Heres one for you and I beleive that companies make the mistake of thinking exerting power over employees is management

Authority; "It must be distinguished from power, which is the ability to compel compliance, either through the use or the threat of force"

Eoin wrote: »
    That's really too vague for you to get any definitive answers.

There's got to be some sort of common sense for employees to use when it comes to how to behave at work. And an informal chat is a good way of telling someone to cop on without going down the disciplinary route.

I agree with this if its use in a right and fair way, but some managers use it as a way of quitely threatening their colleagues without anything been officially recorded or involving HR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

How big is the company ? If its big then you can go the HR route and procedures etc , but can end up with bad relations with your managers - unless v careful.
    If its small there isn't much point.

Best advice in general i think would be to try and see situation from the other POV and not get to worked up about work :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

DO any other employees have these policies available to them? If so, why not just pass them on?

Advertisement