Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on social work masters

Options
  • 22-05-2014 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I am going into 4th year of my undergraduate degree in history and sociology in UL. I am extremely interested in completing a masters in social work. I have researched into the masters program in UCC, UCD, TCD and NUIG but they are very competitive and difficult to get into. Most of my volunteering hours are from my work placement will that go against me. I am still volunteering each week. I was wondering is it possible to complete the course in Northern Ireland or the UK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

A lot of social workers working in Ireland have trained in the UK. There used to be a Masters course in the University of Ulster. I don't know if its still running or what the funding situation would be. I would suggest you look at the Community Care Uk website and this will give you information about social work training in the UK. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Yes it is competitive, but it is a very good and highly recognized course. Be prepared to put your life on hold for two years, its is financially and personally demanding. Your hours from work placement and volunteering will be valid, and in fact most people who don't make the cut seem to state it was because they needed more experience. Everyone in the Master comes in with significant experience of social care work, education, social policy etc. You are required to do 2 placements, in term 2 of year one, and term 1 of year two. They are full time placements where you really do reap what you sow.

I am not sure, but as you have only studied sociology, you may need to do a patch up post grad course in social policy to qualify. You should ask the department directly if your course is valid. I dont think they provide a masters in N.I, and most people I know who qualified in UK did so at Bachelor level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aoifet

Hi there.

Im applying for a hons degree in social work with robert gorden university in aberdeen. Did any one do/ or know anyone who has done this course? It is a distance learning course and sounds great. Any info would be great :)

aoifet wrote: »
    Hi there.

Im applying for a hons degree in social work with robert gorden university in aberdeen. Did any one do/ or know anyone who has done this course? It is a distance learning course and sounds great. Any info would be great :)

I really dont know how someone can study Social Work through distance learning. Is it accredited? Do you have placements? Will CORU, the registration board accept it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aoifet

Yes its accredited and coru have excepted everyone who has done it. It has been running for 20 years. I have one five month placement and four teaching blocks of one week each over the two years rest is through campus moodle. I would have more placement time but I already have ba hons social care so can skip a few bits.

• Advertisement

aoifet wrote: »
    Yes its accredited and coru have excepted everyone who has done it. It has been running for 20 years. I have one five month placement and four teaching blocks of one week each over the two years rest is through campus moodle. I would have more placement time but I already have ba hons social care so can skip a few bits.

As far as I know, in Ireland you need at least 2 14 weeks placements to cover all social work proficiency's. Everyone doing the masters has come from courses like Social Care or Social Science with many many hours of experience... I am surprised you are allowed to skip some as the social work role is VERY different to that of social carers. Sounds like a promising course, but just to remind you that it seems expensive, if you can afford the time, I would consider you doing the masters over 2 years as you do have the background in Social Care which will stand to you. Either way, as long as CORU recognize it, you are golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

I knew someone who did this in Ireland a few years ago. She was employed by HSE on a temporary contract back when local areas could employ temporary staff. So it must have been recognised by the National Social Work Qualifications Board. I think she was doing paid social care residential work while she was training. I think she did a placement in Dublin in a voluntary organisation. Good luck

Advertisement