Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can you tell when your lipo is 80% used?

Options
  • 22-05-2014 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I have a timer on my radio but it's hardly going to be accurate.

Can you discharge fully now that lipos have probably improved over time?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

No. If you discharge fully you'll destroy the battery. Unless your radio has a low voltage alarm you're best off just recharging frequently. Having said that though it should last very long in a radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Id say it is the lipo in a model that is being asked about.

Any radio would have the voltage of its own battery displayed, which is a very accurate way to determine the radio battery state of charge.

If it is the radio battery being asked about, it will be best to recharge when it reaches around 11.1v

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

After having read the OP again I think you're right - he's inquiring about the lipo in the vehicle and not the radio.

You definitely can't judge it by measuring time - there are too many variables. You can get cheap LVC nowadays, also low voltage alarms, so don't chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

It's actually a 450 collective pitch....

I fly a trex 450 and 600 and find the radio timer perfectly adequate once you are not landing and spooling down, then taking off again in the same flight. Even then, the timer will be on the safe side of battery level.

Helicopters use fairly even amount of power throughout the flight for most pilots, so timing it should be good enough.

The trex 450 and 600 have indicators on them, pulsing the motor when the battery is getting low. So I set timer on radio to just before that would happen.

I set timers at about 7 minutes for the 600 and 8 for the 450. The 450 has a 2200mah battery in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Bruthal wrote: »
    The trex 450 and 600 have indicators on them, pulsing the motor when the battery is getting low. So I set timer on radio to just before that would happen.

I set timers at about 7 minutes for the 600 and 8 for the 450. The 450 has a 2200mah battery in it.

Very interesting, I built it ages ago so haven't looked at the motor manual in years. I didn't even properly learn the gyro (which I'm having problems with) light indicators but I'm doing that now; I'll have to check out that motor manual now also. Have you tried many different brands of batteries?

euser1984 wrote: »
    Have you tried many different brands of batteries?

I started off with thunder power ones about 6 years ago, they were very good, but mental expensive. I use turnigy and zippy ones now, from hobbyking, which are fine.

I only fly the choppers the odd time now, mostly gliders now. A sign of old age looming perhaps:)

I use the timer method for them as well, but they also have motor warning, you just get a feel for it. I give them a 30 minute timer, if no thermals, I land. Have had flights of an hour or more with thermals.

Advertisement