Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows 7 activation key won't work

Options
  • 22-05-2014 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have replaced my hard drive and i downloaded Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit from microsoft,

No problems with the bootable disk windows installed without a problem but when i put the product key that was used on this laptop previously it is saying that it is not a valid windows 7 product key,

I also tried the 'Phone Activation' option but could not get onto anybody,

How do i use this product key again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,008 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You're using the laptops OEM key for a standard installation of windows? Or a standard key for a standard installation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Overheal wrote: »
    You're using the laptops OEM key for a standard installation of windows? Or a standard key for a standard installation

i'm using the product key that is on the microsoft sticker on the back of my laptop. it's a 25 digit key iv tried it loads of times still no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 82,008 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Did you use a windows home premium installer or a windows home premium OEM installer?

Overheal wrote: »
    Did you use a windows home premium installer or a windows home premium OEM installer?

i didn't have a backup done when my hard drive was fecked, so after installing the new hard drive i downloaded windows 7 home premium from http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/cannot-find-digital-river-download-site/66a8439b-0d16-4b70-92f7-1c8486a46ebf

no problem installing it but the key product on back of laptop won't work

sorry not sure what you mean by installer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I presume you had the Premium 64-bit version on your laptop originally?

• Advertisement

mordeith wrote: »
    I presume you had the Premium 64-bit version on your laptop originally?

Yes that was installed when I bought the laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

It's weird you said you coulnt't get anyone on the phone activation cos isn't that meant to be an automated system?

mordeith wrote: »
    It's weird you said you coulnt't get anyone on the phone activation cos isn't that meant to be an automated system?

Not according to this on there website

Alternate Method - Reaching a real person:
    1) Click Start, and in the Search box type: slui.exe 4
    2) Next press the 'ENTER' key
    3) Select your 'Country' from the list.
    4) Choose the 'Phone Activation' option.
    5) Stay on the phone *** do not select/press any options *** and wait for a person to help you.
    6) Explain your problem clearly to the support person.
    7) The support person should give you a confirmation ID, copy it down on paper,
    8) Verify the ID is correct by reading back to the support person.
    9) Enter the ID number and click 'Next' to finish the activation process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Phone activation is automated. You must be ringing the wrong number.

I often find that after reinstalling the OS after changing hard drives the only way to activate is using the automated phone system.

Advertisement