Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is that meteor shower/storm

Options
  • 22-05-2014 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I keep hearing that this meteor shower / storm is going to happen when a comet comes close to earth soon , does anyone know when it's supposed to be happening ? is it tonight or tomorrow night? ... hopefully we will have clear skies...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Video wrote: »
    I keep hearing that this meteor shower / storm is going to happen when a comet comes close to earth soon , does anyone know when it's supposed to be happening ? is it tonight or tomorrow night? ... hopefully we will have clear skies...

Tomorrow night . Forecast aint good at all as per usual.

Its from Comet p2012 linear. They arent sure how many meteors per hour it will bring . It was first thought it could be a meteor storm ( 1000 + /hr )

but they brought down that estimate to roughly 400. Which is still GREAT , but yeah... forecast needs to change dramatically for any good viewing conditions.

Last night was alright till roughly 1am .

Was down in wicklow myself , saw a few but not really originating from the north so most likely just normal debris.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Tomorrow night . Forecast aint good at all as per usual.

Its from Comet p2012 linear. They arent sure how many meteors per hour it will bring . It was first thought it could be a meteor storm ( 1000 + /hr )

but they brought down that estimate to roughly 400. Which is still GREAT , but yeah... forecast needs to change dramatically for any good viewing conditions.

Last night was alright till roughly 1am .

Was down in wicklow myself , saw a few but not really originating from the north so most likely just normal debris.

Ughh i was lookin forward to that and all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Thankfully that band of rain in the midlands heading west looks like its dying out so hopefully skies will be clearer for this "once in a lifetime" event:cool:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/once-in-a-lifetime-meteor-shower-to-provide-dazzling-light-show-over-irish-skies-tonight-30298851.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

skies tending to clear in Castlebar

There is a live stream here anyway for the people interested.. i'm assuming this stream is from america...

http://www.ibtimes.com/may-camelopardalids-live-stream-where-watch-how-view-mays-new-meteor-shower-video-1586097

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Still a bit cloudy in mid west

Mostly clear skies in Galway now looking good for now anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Mostly clear skies in Galway now looking good for now anyway.....
    Dam you Galway,if it's not thunder yous get it's clear skies for meteor showers
    tumblr_l9i4abLVeD1qc073co1_400.gif
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Skys fairly clear in donegal at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Skies nice and clear in Castlebar now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Ipro

What time does it start/finish at aprox?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

looked at starry sky in sligo for ages and nothing then clouds

No storm here unless a rain one

Ipro wrote: »
    What time does it start/finish at aprox?

From around 12-1.00am onwards probably peak after sunrise though...

Getting cloudier now in Galway think i will go to bed the comet itself could hit us now for all i care :pac:

pretty much 100% cloud cover right now in limerick..I will remain optimistic tho

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Nothing but clouds in clare. Took a Long exposure photo incase the camera could capture something else but no,just a screen full of cloud. Thank you as usual Ireland for taking our chances away. Off to bed now. Good luck to anyone staying up :)

Well this so called once in a lifetime event turned out to be a bit rubbish really...
    Reading online even in america which was suppose to be the best spot to see it it turned out to be nothing special....they always over hype things nowadays glad i didnt stay up:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Anyone know if there's a chance to see it tonight?

Advertisement