Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade From Lumia 820 to 925 Worth It

Options
  • 22-05-2014 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi,

My much loved Lumia 820 was knocked out of my hand the other day and the screen is broken which will apparently cost me €120 to have replaced.

Meteor have offered me a free upgrade to the Lumia 925 as my contract is now up. My question is really if people think the 925 is a big step up from the 820 and is it worth upgrading and signing another contract with Meteor rather than paying for my 820 to be repaired and going on a sim only plan.

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ra0044 wrote: »
    Hi,

My much loved Lumia 820 was knocked out of my hand the other day and the screen is broken which will apparently cost me €120 to have replaced.

Meteor have offered me a free upgrade to the Lumia 925 as my contract is now up. My question is really if people think the 925 is a big step up from the 820 and is it worth upgrading and signing another contract with Meteor rather than paying for my 820 to be repaired and going on a sim only plan.

Many thanks in advance

I wouldn't see it as much of a step up. Firstly I would price a few places to see a price for the repair.

Then check you usage amount to see if a sim free/ payg option would suit you better.

Do you need a phone straight away or could you wait for something like the 930?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

It's an upgrade alright but not worth signing a contract for I'd say.

I just sold a 925 for 175 EUR on Adverts.ie, so I definitely wouldn't pay 120 to fix an 820.

I'd hang on for the 930 on contract or buy a 920/925/820 on Adverts.

EDIT: Fonfix will fix it for 90 EUR
    http://www.fonfix.ie/OnlineServices.aspx?newurl=price_matrix.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭ra0044

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I will check around for prices etc. I don't really like not having an sd card slot but could just about live with it.

I have been using an android handset since breaking my 820 and really don't want to go back to android. It really is not a patch On windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭ra0044

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I will check around for prices etc. I don't really like not having an sd card slot but could just about live with it.

I have been using an android handset since breaking my 820 and really don't want to go back to android. It really is not a patch On windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,997 ✭✭✭✭unkel

FWIW, I sold my 820 (locked to Meteor) a few months ago for €110 and bought a second hand unlocked 920 (very similar spec compared to 925) for €150. With the 32GB on board with the 920, you really don't need an sd card slot anymore, do you?

I wouldn't pay €120 to get the screen fixed. I wouldn't even pay half that when phones are so cheap to buy second hand :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BabyMonkeyy

Cracked the screen on my 920 today after 2 years without a scratch. Not a happy man. Still works but it annoys the f##k out if me.

Advertisement