Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corkagh Park Ladies Racing series 2014

Options
  • 22-05-2014 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

It's back!

The Corkagh Park ladies racing series is back for another summer, each Tuesday night from 27/May to 26/Aug, brought to you by the Women's Commission and local cycling clubs. Open to all female cyclists, especially beginners. We'll have an intro to racing skills session with Paddy Doran on Tuesday next (7pm), and racing proper begins the following Tuesday for 13 weeks.

Full details available at http://womenscycling.ie
    https://www.facebook.com/CorkaghParkLadiesRacing
    email: cpladiesracing at gmail
    or post your questions below

Please share with any friends or club mates who might be interested trying out racing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Bump - reminder this series kicks off tomorrow, opening with a racing skills night by top coach, Paddy Doran. Session starts at 7pm at Corkagh Park, Newlands Cross, Dublin. Open to all female cyclists, beginners especially welcome. You don't need a racing licence for tomorrow's skills session, just basic CI or IVCA membership. €5 for this session.

Racing proper starts on Tuesday June 3rd, and continues for 13 weeks, every Tuesday. You'll need a racing licence (club comp or higher) for the races, and €3 entry fee (€1 U18).

Full details at http://womenscycling.ie/corkagh-park-ladies-racing-series-back/

Thanks!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Do you know what distance this is over? And what the average speed is? Are there different categories? If so what's the average speed in the slowest one? I am wondering if I should go disgrace myself or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

gadetra wrote: »
    Do you know what distance this is over? And what the average speed is? Are there different categories? If so what's the average speed in the slowest one? I am wondering if I should go disgrace myself or not!

All abilities catered for. It's a road race in a closed circuit (purpose built cycle track) usually around 20-30 mins. Tomorrow night will be a great intro to it as it's coached.

Sundrive are hosting on the 10th June.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Definitely give it a go - yes a bit different to the track - you get to use gears (and brakes if necessary!) and there are even right hand bends to negotiate!. The track is relatively short and it's a great place to learn a bit about road racing and develop the skills required. I've little doubt there will be some quite fast racers, but also would expect a slower group (or two!) to form as the race develops.

Brakes-:eek: Don't know how I feel about that! :D
    Ah no, sadly I can't go tonight after all, Henri is in cyclospital, possible heart (bb) issues. Eeep.

Some day though, maybe when there is a slower group in operation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Brakes-:eek: Don't know how I feel about that! :D
    Ah no, sadly I can't go tonight after all, Henri is in cyclospital, possible heart (bb) issues. Eeep.

Some day though, maybe when there is a slower group in operation!

It's tomorrow. Come along and Marshall on the 10th if you want to have a look before you try it. We'll be riding out there.

nak wrote: »
    It's tomorrow. Come along and Marshall on the 10th if you want to have a look before you try it. We'll be riding out there.

Ah I meant tomorrow. Yeah I might just marshall at it, it'd be a good introduction to what it is like and how fast it is. And I can exercise the lungs cheering everyone on! :D

Hi Gadetra,

There will be two groups each night - the beginner "B" race will begin at 7pm. The riders in this group typically are people who have done sportives, track, MTB or just plain old commuting cycling, and want to dip their toes in road racing. At the start of the series, the B races will be about 20 mins - over the course of the summer, they'll be a bit longer (up to about 35 mins) as people get more familiar and comfortable with racing.

The A group is more experienced, and that race starts around 7.30pm (depending when the B race finishes), and is about 25 mins initially. People can be moved between the two groups according to their ability - i.e. if someone streaks to victory in the B race, they'll be moved to A the following week. Likewise, someone who's struggling in A can move to B and get a better night's racing out of it.

There are prizes for the top 3 in each group.

Definitely give it a try, there will be plenty of new racers there just like yourself. It's open to juniors, seniors and veterans, of all abilities, so spread the word :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lorimc

Hey I'm thinking of giving this a try. I wasn't on the bike a huge amount over winter so I haven't got my licence sorted yet. If I buy it today and bring a proof of purchase would it be okay to come along this evening? It should have arrived before next week but as newbie I'd really like to try this evenings coached session.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

QueensGael wrote: »
    Open to all female cyclists, beginners especially welcome. You don't need a racing licence for tomorrow's skills session, just basic CI or IVCA membership. €5 for this session.
    Racing proper starts on Tuesday June 3rd, and continues for 13 weeks, every Tuesday. You'll need a racing licence (club comp or higher) for the races, and €3 entry fee (€1 U18).
    lorimc wrote: »
    I haven't got my licence sorted yet. If I buy it today and bring a proof of purchase would it be okay to come along this evening?

I think you'll be fine to just turn up tonight with either your CI or proof of purchase of your CI membership.
    Good luck!

• Advertisement

Yep, proof of Cycling Ireland membership is fine for tonight, see you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kildare snooker

Miserable night for racing last night,fair play to all those that braved the elements.
    Sign On was advertised for 6:30 though and it didn't start sign on till 7 with racing being delayed further,very wet and cold night to have people warming up etc for that long of a time before starting,those that also showed up to the training the week before will know that it started very late too,should the time for the coming weeks perhaps be changed to a official sign on time off 7pm allowing for the uncontrollable traffic in the area,I'm sure the organisers do here best to be there I'm not complaining they can't control the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Last night was the first night for this summer series. In regards to the late sign on, it's an extremely rare occurrence. We all have a job during the day and when you finish at 5.30PM and it pisses rain, it's not always easy to be there extra early. I can guarantee, we all try to. QueensGael puts a huge amount of work into organizing this.

Despite the torrential race almost 30 ladies raced last night and it was great to see so many new faces too!

Next week, I'm running the show with the DID Electrical Ladies team. I will be there super early, I promise! We will have great prizes from Velo Revolution and Science in Sport Ireland and the entry money will go to Cycle4Life in aid of the Temple Street Children Hospital.

See you there!

Caro

Apologies again for the late start, totally my fault. Thanks to all the racers, marshals and supporters who participated last night, we had a great night of racing, with the rain holding off for the duration of the race.

Final standings were:
    A group:

1. Lisa Darley-Ronan (Tower CC)
    2. Niamh Stephens (UCD CC)
    3. Anne Dalton (DID Ladies Racing team)

B group:
    1. Jessica Lamb (St. Tiernan’s CC)
    2. Caroline Martinez (DID Ladies Racing team)
    3. Emma Convey (Orwell Wheelers)

Full report on the womenscycling website http://womenscycling.ie/newcomers-seize-day-corkagh/

As Caroline_ie mentioned, racing continues next week, hosted by DID Ladies Racing in aid of Cycle4Life, see you there!

Racing continues tomorrow, brought to you by DID Ladies Racing Team in aid of Cycle4Life, full details below, see you there!

THE DID ELECTRICAL LADIES ARE HOSTING Corkagh Park Ladies Racing CRIT ON JUNE 10TH IN CORKAGH PARK, DUBLIN.
    ENTRY 3 EURO, 1 EURO UNDERAGE
    ALL ENTRY FEES GO TO Cycle4Life ,IN AID OF TEMPLE STREET CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL.
    SIGN ON FROM 6:30PM - RACING START AT 7PM
    PRIZES DONATED BY SCIENCE IN SPORT IRELAND & VELO REVOLUTION
    VeloRevolution Science In Sport Ireland Frank Keane BMW

Great night of racing at Corkagh Park yesterday evening, hosted by DID Ladies Racing team. Final results are:

Final result, B race
    1. Sarah Dennedy (DID Dunboyne)
    2. Aine McBride (Sundrive Track Club)
    3. Silvia Gallagher (BeSpoke)
    Prime:
    1. Sarah Dennedy (DID Dunboyne)
    2. Helen Kerrane (St. Tiernan’s CC)

Final results, A race:
    1. Sandra Telford (Orwell Wheelers)
    2. Hannah Ormesher (DID Ladies Racing)
    3. Valerie Considine (Usher IRC)
    Prime:
    1. Hannah Ormesher (DID Ladies Racing)
    2. Lisa Darley-Ronan (Towers CC)

Full report here http://womenscycling.ie/dennedy-telford-triumph-corkagh/
    Pictures here https://www.facebook.com/CorkaghParkLadiesRacing
    Next week's race will be hosted by Garda CC, see you there!

Sunshine and ice cream last night's race at Corkagh Park, hosted by Garda CC. Results of each race:

B race:
    1. Clare McEntee (Orwell Wheelers)
    2. Lindsay O'Neill (Naas CC)
    3. Emily Anne Doyle (Naas CC)
    Prime: Emily Anne Doyle

A race:
    1. Anne Dalton (DID Ladies Racing)
    2. Valerie Considine (Usher IRC)
    3. Orla Hendron (Orwell Wheelers) Prime: Hannah Ormesher (DID Ladies Racing)

We also raised over €100 for Down Syndrome Ireland from the sales of ice-cream (thanks to the good folks at Adamstown CT for setting this us).

Huge thanks to Garda CC for hosting, and to all racers, supporters, mentors, marshals and photographers!

Next week's race is a joint production by BeSpoke and UCD CC, see you then!

Racing at Corkagh Park tomorrow night is a joint production by UCD CC and BeSpoke, sign on from 6.30pm for first race at 7pm. See you there!

Results from last night's race at Corkagh Park, thanks to UCD CC and BeSpoke:

A Race:
    1. Anne Dalton (DID Ladies Racing Team)
    2. Hannah Ormesher (DID Ladies Racing Team)
    3. Anne Horan (Orwell Wheelers)

B Race
    1. Teena O'Malley (Lucan CRC)
    2. Agnieszka Kurzydlo (Naas CC)
    3. Helen Horan (Orwell Wheelers)

Thanks to the hosts, racers, supporters and all who turned out! Next week's race will be brought to you by Naas Cycling Club - see you there!

Racing at Corkagh Park continues this Tuesday evening, hosted by Naas CC. This week we'll have prizes generously sponsored by The Cycle Inn in Tallaght, so get your skates on to Clondalkin tomorrow evening! Sign on from 6.30pm, first race at 7pm. See you there!

• Advertisement

A super night of racing at Corkagh Park last night, boosted by the participation of the Junior Women's training camp group, led by manager Orla Hendron. The race was hosted by Naas Cycling Club, with prizes sponsored by The Cycle Inn in Tallaght.

17 riders signed on for the handicapped B race, with underage riders given a short lead. However, strong riding from senior riders saw gap quickly close. Having ridden aggressively throughout, Aine McBride from Sundrive CC earned a well deserved win. Juniors Roisin Carter from North Pole CC and Shauna McFadden from Errigal CC completed the placings. Combativity prize went to Lorraine McGill riding for Maynooth Students for Cycling, demonstrating some huge improvements each week at Corkagh.

The A race had strong field of 15 riders, with attacking riding from the start including Orla Hendron (Orwell Wheelers), Ann Dalton 9DID Ladies Racing) and Aideen Keenan (Orwell Wheelers). Niamh Stephens of UCD also worked well on the front. Adamstown CT rider Roisin Kennedy's typical attacking style won her the combativity prize.
    Clean sweep for Orwell with Sandra Telford taking (another!) first place, Keenan second and Hendron rounding off the podium placings.

Thanks to Naas CC's team of helpers: Pat, Lance, Joe and Emily Anne as well as supporters, June for the home-grown strawberries and The Cycle Inn Tallaght for the kind sponsorship.

Some photos via Naas FB page https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=691240074281003&set=pb.138906026181080.-2207520000.1404306027.&type=3&theater.
    Next week's race will be hosted by Tower CC, see you then!

B
    1 - Aine McBride - Sundrive CC
    2 - Roisin Carter - North Pole CC
    3 - Shauna McFadden - Errigal CC
    Combativity - Lorraine McGill - Maynooth Students for Cycling

A
    1 - Sandy Tee - Orwell Wheelers
    2 - Aideen Keenan - Orwell Wheelers
    3 - Orla Hendron - Orwell Wheelers
    Combativity - Roisin Kennedy - Adamstown CT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Hello folks.

Next round is hosted by St. Tiernan's CC.

As usual entry is €3, sign on is from 6.30 and the first race is off at 7pm.

Tasty prizes for primes and winners with the support of FitzCycles.

Look forward to seeing you.

Last night's race was hosted by St.Tiernan's CC and sponsored by FitzCycles.ie. Both A and B races finished in a solo finish, with some exciting sprints for the next slots.
    The B race had 11 riders, of which some of whom were making their Corkagh Park debut. A group of 5 had a headstart over the more experienced B racers, and managed to stay away to take the prime. Silvia Gallagher (BeSpoke) from the chase group bridged across at the middle of the race, and stayed away to take solo victory, chased by the Naas CC duo of Lyndsey O'Neill and Agnieszka Kurzydlo.
    In the A race, the bunch of 17 stayed together for most of the race, but Aideen Keenan (Orwell Wheelers) and Ann Dalton (DID Ladies Racing Team) were out on front towards the latter stages. After some mid race drama from the tifosi, Keenan also took a solo victory on the night. The sprint for second was taken by Martina Cronin (Carrick Wheelers), with Sandra Fitzgerald (Garda CC) in third.

Results from the night:
    Race A - (17 ladies signed on, 25mins plus 3 laps)
    1st - Aideen Keenan (Orwell DTC)
    2nd - Martina Cronin (Carrick Wheelers)
    3rd - Sandra Fitzgerald (Garda CC)
    Prime - Anne Dalton (DID Ladies Racing Team)

Race B - (11 ladies signed on, 25mins plus 3 laps)
    1st - Sylvia Gallagher (BeSpoke Cycles)
    2nd - Lyndsey O'Neill (Naas CC)
    3rd - Agnieszka Kurzydlo (Naas CC)
    Prime - Sarai Flynn (Waterford)

Big thanks to the ladies and gentlemen of St. Tiernan's CC for hosting the evening's racing, and to the sponsors FitzCycles for the prizes. Pics available on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=559794170795675&set=a.559793997462359.1073741826.236208966487532&type=1&theater
    See you there next week!

I can't wait until I have a bike I can do this on and give it a go. It looks great. When is the last one of the season?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Have to say it was throughly enjoyable, great evening and crowd, great break in the final race that the group just couldn't bridge. I was timing it on the line and they were catching her bringing the gap down from 12 seconds to 6 seconds in the last two laps but it was not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Mid-race drama from the tifosi indeed :eek:

A good night for racing and a bumper crowd for the A race. Good ride from Aideen to win it, if I may say so! The adrenaline from nearly riding over her own children must have spurred her on to win it.

smurphy29 wrote: »
    Mid-race drama from the tifosi indeed :eek:

A good night for racing and a bumper crowd for the A race. Good ride from Aideen to win it, if I may say so! The adrenaline from nearly riding over her own children must have spurred her on to win it.

The kids were blocked from my view by the Orwellian standing in front of me, and I was wondering what the sudden scream was for. I thought a rider was down but then Brian Hayden from Tiernans sprinted past me and when I stepped out, i seen the two kids running across the track. Luckily there Mam slowed up to let them past, I didn't even know what had happened until it was all over. Kids were more shook than anyone.

Yep, happily no children were injured in the course the race! The wandering dog was shooed out not long before that, thankfully before the peloton got near it.

CramCycle - that was probably me blocking your view, I was seized up with a minor heart attack at the time :)

Gadetra - races run until the last Tues in Aug (26th I believe), hope to see you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

CramCycle wrote: »
    but then Brian Hayden from Tiernans sprinted past me.....

Tempted. Very tempted. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

QueensGael wrote: »
    CramCycle - that was probably me blocking your view, I was seized up with a minor heart attack at the time :)
    Alas no, it was one of the senior male orwellians, I was filming right behind him but my view of the track just cut off where the kids were.

Advertisement