Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tope fishing

Options
  • 22-05-2014 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what time of year and time of day would be best for tope if anyone knows?

Also whats best bait and rig set up hook size ect to get one?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Seller159 wrote: »
    Just wondering what time of year and time of day would be best for tope if anyone knows?

Also whats best bait and rig set up hook size ect to get one?

Thanks

use mackerel with a wire trace.its difficult to catch them from shore u need to find a beach with a steep slope.it might be a bit early now. july they will defo be about. i find late in the evening the best time for shore fishing with a high tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

use mackerel with a wire trace.its difficult to catch them from shore u need to find a beach with a steep slope.it might be a bit early now. july they will defo be about. i find late in the evening the best time for shore fishing with a high tide.

Is it really ? Do they come in towards shore at all?

What size hooks u think is best?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Is it really ? Do they come in towards shore at all?

What size hooks u think is best?

they do come into shore but are hard to target. a freind of mine caught a fairly big one last summer. on a fishing charter in courtown county wexford. the tope was nearly as big as him.im gonna give it a try myself in a month or two. its 35 euro for 4 hours bait rods included.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

A lad I know I'm not sure if he's on this anymore but he's had great fishing from beaches for tope. Some nice size ones aswell.
    He has few pics on the post pic thread on this

they do come into shore but are hard to target. a freind of mine caught a fairly big one last summer. on a fishing charter in courtown county wexford. the tope was nearly as big as him.im gonna give it a try myself in a month or two. its 35 euro for 4 hours bait rods included.

But with the right baits and tactics could i get one handy enough if there around?

That sounds really good only 35€ i think ill be trying that my self when im back from hoildays in june:).

They also do it in wicklow harbour i was told by the guy that works in fishing shop so i might go there too

• Advertisement

A lad I know I'm not sure if he's on this anymore but he's had great fishing from beaches for tope. Some nice size ones aswell.
    He has few pics on the post pic thread on this

Really well thats good then. Iv never tryed fishing for them but want to this year im doing all the research i can to get more info about them then ill be heading out in june after holidays:).

Do you know where he went?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You will need a beach rod capable of casting 6oz.

Casting is not an issue, as 30 yards will suffice if the location is suitable, but you need a rod that won't break casting a 4/5oz lead and mackeral flapper etc. Some suggest a shock leader of 80lb

More important is your reel, that needs a smooth drag and all knots need to be solid!

I know they have been caught from shore in Donegal and one of the peninsulas west of Oranmore. Wicklow and Wexford have produced them as well.

Casting is not an issue, as 30 yards will suffice if the location is suitable, but you need a rod that won't break casting a 4/5oz lead and mackeral flapper etc. Some suggest a shock leader of 80lb

More important is your reel, that needs a smooth drag and all knots need to be solid!

I know they have been caught from shore in Donegal and one of the peninsulas west of Oranmore. Wicklow and Wexford have produced them as well.

I have a pretty big beach rod and i think its decent enough for it. I am going to get strong 160lb mono or and shock leader to be safe.

Tope are bottom feeders yes? Whats best sort or rig for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

I have a pretty big beach rod and i think its decent enough for it. I am going to get strong 160lb mono or and shock leader to be safe.

Tope are bottom feeders yes? Whats best sort or rig for them?

Wire pully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

I would say that most estuarys on the west coast have tope in them but they only come in for a limited timeframe to pup. I know several places where they have been caught from the shore and close to the shore from boats locally but it's not publicised. People don't want to make their marks known and that's fair enough. They like a very fast flow of water and that along with using half a mackerel for bait while needing to cast 70-100 yards makes them very difficult to fish for!

• Advertisement

Wire pully!

Ok cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Derrymore point in tralee bay.... problem is getting there, you will need a light 4x4...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Derrymore point in tralee bay.... problem is getting there, you will need a light 4x4...

They run the waters between Inch and Rossbeigh too don't they?

SeaFields wrote: »
    They run the waters between Inch and Rossbeigh too don't they?

i have heard that before, have also heard, you can catch them from the shore at inch but i find that hard to believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭Mech1

danbrosnan wrote: »

Light 4x4 ? light as in weight,

or any 4x4?

Mech1 wrote: »
    Light 4x4 ? light as in weight,

or any 4x4?

any 4 x 4 was back there tonight on the beach and a navara gotout there easy enough there is a few sticky spots...

check out liam o connor on youtube i think he has pictures of tope being caught from the shore in ireland.. RIP

Advertisement