Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hold Out or Feck Them!?

Options
  • 22-05-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice or suggestions on what you'd do in this situation.

So I had an interview for an engineering job this day 6 weeks ago for a multi national company. It was for a 6mth contract and I went through a recruitment agency.
    The interview itself was good and I was very pleased how I did and was full sure I'd be offered the job. The recruitment agent (let's call him Liam) rang me after the interview asking how I got on etc and I said great. He was in touch with the engineering manager (let's call him Dave) and Dave said they were interested in me. Dave said he was off on 3 weeks hols that following Friday (i.e. 8 days after I did the interview) so I was obviously hoping he'd let me know what the story was before he left.
    Unfortunately, he didn't so Liam told me to hang about until Dave got back from his hols. So I waited it out and even gave it all of last week and still didn't hear anything so I rang Liam and asked what the story was.
    By this stage I was fairly p!ssed off but Liam said he still hadn't heard from Dave, despite leaving him mails and reaching his voicemail. He put this down to it being Daves first week back from three weeks hols and would have a ton of mails to get through/issues to address etc etc, fair enough.

So far this week and still no word on the job. At this point I don't know whether to keep waiting (and continue to just get more frustrated) or tell them to basically stick the job where the sun doesn't shine.
    I mean look, I have absolutely no problem if they say I didn't get it, at least I could bring closure to it and move on. It just angers me that 6 full weeks after doing the interview I'm still none the wiser what's happening.

Liam did explain around the time I did the int that there were 3 people interviewed for the job and they took one guy on straight away but apparently he'd be put on another project but as they were interested in me aswell, they wanted to move things around to try get me in as they're kind of on a head count freeze and had to talk to work it out.

I suppose what annoys me also is the fact I had to take a half day from my current job (which I lost out on money) and even at that had to pull a few favours and obviously the fact I turned up to the interview in good time, well presented and made the effort and they don't have the decency to let me know what's happening 6 weeks later.
    Tbh, it's not as if I have other offers or anything so I could really do with this job but on the other hand, is it worth working for them if this is how they treat people and also going in with a sour taste in my mouth from the whole experience...

So what would you do? Have you had any similar experiences?

(Not that it probably matters but I'm not living in Ireland.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

From what you're saying it's not Dave I'd be having the issue with. One other guy already taken on and giving you the runaround..... doesn't sound like actions of a company needing to fill vacancies imo.

If I could I'd try approaching Dave directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

KissMeArse wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just looking for some advice or suggestions on what you'd do in this situation.

So I had an interview for an engineering job this day 6 weeks ago for a multi national company. It was for a 6mth contract and I went through a recruitment agency.
    The interview itself was good and I was very pleased how I did and was full sure I'd be offered the job. The recruitment agent (let's call him Liam) rang me after the interview asking how I got on etc and I said great. He was in touch with the engineering manager (let's call him Dave) and Dave said they were interested in me. Dave said he was off on 3 weeks hols that following Friday (i.e. 8 days after I did the interview) so I was obviously hoping he'd let me know what the story was before he left.
    Unfortunately, he didn't so Liam told me to hang about until Dave got back from his hols. So I waited it out and even gave it all of last week and still didn't hear anything so I rang Liam and asked what the story was.
    By this stage I was fairly p!ssed off but Liam said he still hadn't heard from Dave, despite leaving him mails and reaching his voicemail. He put this down to it being Daves first week back from three weeks hols and would have a ton of mails to get through/issues to address etc etc, fair enough.

So far this week and still no word on the job. At this point I don't know whether to keep waiting (and continue to just get more frustrated) or tell them to basically stick the job where the sun doesn't shine.
    I mean look, I have absolutely no problem if they say I didn't get it, at least I could bring closure to it and move on. It just angers me that 6 full weeks after doing the interview I'm still none the wiser what's happening.

Liam did explain around the time I did the int that there were 3 people interviewed for the job and they took one guy on straight away but apparently he'd be put on another project but as they were interested in me aswell, they wanted to move things around to try get me in as they're kind of on a head count freeze and had to talk to work it out.

I suppose what annoys me also is the fact I had to take a half day from my current job (which I lost out on money) and even at that had to pull a few favours and obviously the fact I turned up to the interview in good time, well presented and made the effort and they don't have the decency to let me know what's happening 6 weeks later.
    Tbh, it's not as if I have other offers or anything so I could really do with this job but on the other hand, is it worth working for them if this is how they treat people and also going in with a sour taste in my mouth from the whole experience...

So what would you do? Have you had any similar experiences?

Could be the agency - you never know what those cowboys are up too.

Whilst i don't know all the details but if i were a betting man I'd say the job ain't yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's a multinational, and so far it's only six weeks.

I'd say get off your high horse. Sometimes the wheels turn slowly in big companies, that's just the way it is. You have no right to a speedy answer.

On the other hand, what exactly are you waiting about for. If you've applied for other jobs, interview for them too, and accept the first good-looking job that is offered to you. You have no obligation to the ones that have interviewed you, especially if they take a few weeks to make an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

I'd say get off your high horse. Sometimes the wheels turn slowly in big companies, that's just the way it is. You have no right to a speedy answer.

On the other hand, what exactly are you waiting about for. If you've applied for other jobs, interview for them too, and accept the first good-looking job that is offered to you. You have no obligation to the ones that have interviewed you, especially if they take a few weeks to make an offer.

I'd agree with this, applied for a job in January in a very well known university and I only found out that I got it in May and don't start until July.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KissMeArse

Thanks for all replies people.

Just on the above post, get off my high horse, are you serious!? Jesus, how dare I want to know what's happening 6 weeks after an interview. And you say only 6 weeks as if it's only a few days!!

If it's the case that they still haven't made a decision that's fair enough, but is it so much to ask for that this Dave guy make a 60 second call/quick email to reply to Liam's mails/voicemail and say something like "look I haven't had a chance to look at KissMeArse yet, I'm up to my eyes with other stuff etc etc, I'll get around to it next week or the week after" or simply "no we won't be taking him on". At least then I'd know a) what's happening and b) that I'd still be in/not in with a shout of the job. Just to give an update as opposed to keeping me in the dark.

I mean look, I accept I haven't got the job at this stage so anything else would be a bonus. I have been applying for other jobs in the intervening time but the engineering jobs market where I am is notoriously very tough so you'd be doing well to even get as far as the interview stage, hence why I really want to try get this job.
    I just think a bit of common courtesy should apply here that's all.

• Advertisement

RiseToMe wrote: »
    I'd agree with this, applied for a job in January in a very well known university and I only found out that I got it in May and don't start until July.

Different ball game - Univeristies are slow with stuff like that.

Thanks for all replies people.

Just on the above post, get off my high horse, are you serious!? Jesus, how dare I want to know what's happening 6 weeks after an interview. And you say only 6 weeks as if it's only a few days!!

If it's the case that they still haven't made a decision that's fair enough, but is it so much to ask for that this Dave guy make a 60 second call/quick email to reply to Liam's mails/voicemail and say something like "look I haven't had a chance to look at KissMeArse yet, I'm up to my eyes with other stuff etc etc, I'll get around to it next week or the week after" or simply "no we won't be taking him on". At least then I'd know a) what's happening and b) that I'd still be in/not in with a shout of the job. Just to give an update as opposed to keeping me in the dark.

I mean look, I accept I haven't got the job at this stage so anything else would be a bonus. I have been applying for other jobs in the intervening time but the engineering jobs market where I am is notoriously very tough so you'd be doing well to even get as far as the interview stage, hence why I really want to try get this job.
    I just think a bit of common courtesy should apply here that's all.

I'd agree - 6 weeks is ridiculous for a multinational but no point in telling them bog off.

I could only see it being 6 weeks if the position you are going for is a really high up, well paid position.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Different ball game - Univeristies are slow with stuff like that.

So are multi-nationals: usually they want you to start either tomorrow, or in three months time!

OP, if I was you, I'd be thinking hard about whether my personality is a good fit for this type of company.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KissMeArse

I'd agree - 6 weeks is ridiculous for a multinational but no point in telling them bog off.

I could only see it being 6 weeks if the position you are going for is a really high up, well paid position.

Ha certainly not a high up position anyway unfortunately! Any position where it's only a 6 month contract you can be sure it isn't high up, which I suppose kind of adds to the whole mystery as to why it's taking so long for a reply from them. You'd swear it was for the CEO position!

Anyway cheers for the replies and input people, I may as well just wait it out and see what happens but continue to apply for other jobs and that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Why do you have to do anything??? If they come back to you fine... if they don't come back fine.... You have nothing to loose, so I really do not see your problem!

Of course it matters, different countries have different norms... In Switzerland it is not at all unusual for the process to take 3 months or more!

• Advertisement
Advertisement