Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kayaking tragedy in Britain

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Well it is impossible to get trapped IN a SOT kayak but not impossible to get trapped by it or get trapped by the current after capsizing. As the article says you will 100% fall out of a SOT in very rough water.

Very sad news especially as they were all family members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

I must check and see if there is some British canoe association that might have information on how this tragedy occured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

As events unfold we will be investigating the incident to fully establish the circumstances surrounding it so as to learn and share with others our findings and any lessons they may provide.
    This is from the British Canoe Union website. I suppose they must wait until after the inquests before commenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

I wonder hoe experienced they really were.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

nookie wrote: »
    They put onto a river that was in flood with sit-on-tops. Tells you all you need to know about their experience levels really.

Thats true...but it's something that really annoys me is that the few times you hear reports about incidents like this it states that they were experienced......but never any evidence of the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

ec18 wrote: »
    Thats true...but it's something that really annoys me is that the few times you hear reports about incidents like this it states that they were experienced......but never any evidence of the experience.

SOT's and moving water = no no :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10826928/Two-brothers-and-their-cousin-killed-in-kayaking-disaster-named-by-police.html
    One experienced kayaker has said that the men got into trouble at a notorious stretch of the river that would usually be walked by paddlers because it is so treacherous.
    The instructor knew the stretch of the Tyne well and said the water around the weir by the Riding Mill pumping station was lethal in these conditions.
    "This news has taken me aback, it's so sad."
    An employee at North East Kayaks, who did not wish to be named, also said the area where the accident happened was dangerous, adding: "Once you are in it there is no way out.
    "It is treacherous and someone else died in the same spot around two years ago. The river level is relatively high, but I have seen it higher.
    "The conditions are actually quite good for kayakers in general, but the level of the water would have made negotiating that particular stretch of the water even more dangerous than usual."

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/story/2014-05-12/bodies-found-in-search-for-missing-kayakers/
    It would appear the three recently took it up as a sport in their spare time… They were, it would seem, relatively inexperienced and not attached to a club.

It seems that they may not have researched their route that well, before going? Sad to see, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Christ, I hope they didn't go through this
    article-2626061-1DC51AE200000578-664_634x422.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Yikes
    MugMugs wrote: »
    Christ, I hope they didn't go through this
    article-2626061-1DC51AE200000578-664_634x422.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement