Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you help me find a laptop!

Options
  • 22-05-2014 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get a new laptop as my old one died. Every time I find a spec I think is ok, there's a suggestion to change one thing or another and whacks up the price! I'm not even sure if I'm getting suggestions for heavy usage or just average. I've tried looking on hardwareversand.de (as recommended by many here) but I really don't know enough about the different processors and there's so much choice on that site!

I will mainly be using it for The Sims game. I would play it for maybe 6-8 hours at the weekend, maybe an hour a day (at most) during the week. I would be streaming a bit as well, but not alot.

My budget - I would hope for around €700-€800. Because the main use is a game, I can't justify spending over a grand. Is it even possible to get one for this price?!

Mobility - not hugely important, but I definitely want a laptop.

Warrenty isn't as important to me as it should be. Definitely want 1 year cover.

I use, and want to continue to use Windows. I currently use Windows 8.

My last laptop was a Dell Inspiron 1546. This was a great laptop for 3.5 years, then when I started playing The Sims more regularly it killed it.

I had a look on the Dell website and found the following laptops. Would either be ok do you think? [Laptop specs at the bottom as I can't post links. Sorry]

I don't want a laptop that's a monster that can run every game under the sun simultaneously! I want one that I can play easily, and I want it to last for a few years.

I hope someone can help, because I'm completely confused at this stage with all the choices!

Claire

Inspiron 15 5000 Series - €679.
    Processor
    4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4510U processor (4M Cache, up to 3.1 GHz)

Operating System
    Windows 8.1 (64Bit) English

Video Card
    AMD Radeon™ HD R7 M265 2GB DDR3

Memory2
    8GB 2 DIMM (2x4GB) DDR3L 1600Mhz
    Hard Drive

1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

Display
    15.6 inch LED Backlit Display with Truelife and HD resolution (1366 x 768)

Wireless
    Intel® Centrino® Wireless-AC 3160 + Bluetooth 4.0

Inspiron 17r - 5737 €798.99

Processor
    4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4500U Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.0 GHz)

Operating System
    Windows 8.1 (64Bit) English

Video Card
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8870M 2GB GDDR5

Memory2
    16GB 2 DIMM (2x8GB) DDR3L 1600Mhz

Hard Drive
    1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

Optical Drive
    8X DVD+/-RW Drive Tray Load

Display
    44cm (17.3") LED Backlit Display with Anti Glare and FHD resolution (1920 x 1080)

Wireless
    Intel® Wireless-N 7260 BGN + Bluetooth 4.0

Advertisement