Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on sewing machines

Options
  • 21-05-2014 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hi I'm hoping to pursue Home Economics teaching in September and I am going to require a sewing machine for projects, making garments and clothes etc. I am a complete novice when it comes to sewing and have no idea of what sewing machine to get.
    I would like one that is very sturdy and will last me for the length of the course (4 years) and hopefully longer than that.
    Any advice on what to buy? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would buy from a local store so you have a point of contact if anything goes wrong. Thats the main thing. You are probably looking at €100 to €150 to start out.

Try out a few, pick the quietest one! I have to wait till the kids go to to bed to sew as it is so loud they hate it.

You will have straight stitch / zig zag / blind hemming / button and button hole.

Get an automatic threader if your eyesight is bad.

My machine is 20 years old and there is nothing it can't do. I get it serviced about every 5 years.

You will still need access to an overlocker for most tailoring projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't be tempted to get one with a lot of embroider stitches. Chances are you will never use them. What wmpdd3 said is true, those basic stitches are all you need. I have been sewing - er - 60 years(!) (true, I started on my mum's Singer treadle machine as a child) and never used an overlocker - nice if you have one, but not essential. I would suggest a slightly heavier machine is better than a lightweight one, they are more stable and can be used on heavier fabrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I have been told to steer clear of the Aldi machine that comes up there occasionally. I bought one for daughter and we struggled to get it to work despite accompanying DVD. And apparantly the Singer for sale nowadays is nothing to do with the old Singer company that stopped manufacturing 20 years ago. You could visit some of the repair shops and see if they have second hand models or keep an eye on small adverts. Some can be fierce heavy so take that into account if you have to travel with machine.

also visit your local school as they often upgrade their machines during the summer and there may be something there you could buy. also it would be good to see what a teacher suggested for the school based on the curriculum.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I was in Dublin today and chanced to pass the singer shop on Talbot Street. He had several of the type that I have used down the years being an electric Singer model 507 with zigzag stitch but no other fancy stuff. These were second hand and he would have taken 70 euro for one (various conditions) but you would get some guarantee of condition from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I thik a reconditioned Singer like that is a great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Hi guys, sorry to butt in on the thread but I'm also looking for advice. I've been offered two sewing machines for the same price and I'm wondering which would be better. The two models are a Singer Symphonie 2250 or Necchie 270.. Any idea which would be better? Just to point out I'm a beginner but would want it to be used on thicker fabrics like denim and curtains etc. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I would advise getting an older machine of a reputable brand that's heavy and had metal rather than plastic parts. I have a Bernina that is as old as me and it's awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Hi guys thanks so much for the advice! I'll be travelling with the machine a lot of the time so I'd need a machine light enough to carry around? I'm not sure of any local sewing machine shops near me in Louth but I must find out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Just to let you know that I used to see teachers arriving to teach at night classes at one of the community schools and when they had heavy equipment to bring in they were always supplied with a trolley so no-one had to lift (Health & Safety y'know!). If you are teaching, ask them for a trolley.

• Advertisement

all the guys in my sewing class have the trolley from Ikea, some have made bags from oil cloth, to put the machine into.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Picasso711

My girlfriend is studying fashion and is currently looking to buy an industrial sewing machine.. Could you give us some advice on the best makes and what ia a reasonable price region for a second hand model ? So far Brother and Singer are recommended to us but in my girlfriends college they us Juki which she likes.. Again any advice at all on this would be greatly appreciated..

I'd go with singer or brother as belts etc are easier to pick up, also, she s more lightly to use them in industry.

ask the college why they have a contract with that make.

they require regular enough servicing so consider how far you or the mechanic will need to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kazini

Dear all,
    I am looking for a manual for Janome 680. Any information how to download or a link would highly appreciated.
    I have checked the internet but dont seem to bring up anything that is of that model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Kazini wrote: »
    Dear all,
    I am looking for a manual for Janome 680. Any information how to download or a link would highly appreciated.
    I have checked the internet but dont seem to bring up anything that is of that model.

Is that the full model number ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kazini

Hi,
    Written on the machine is JA 128944 but got this Janome 680 from Janome UK when I sent them them the pic of the sewing machine. Advise according or get me the email so that I can send you the pic.
    Thanks in advance
    Francis

Advertisement