Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody got a reel of 1/2" tape I can borrow??

Options
  • 21-05-2014 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

So I've got a Tascam TSR8 1/2" reel to reel 8 track tape recorder that's been in storage for a couple of years. Got it up and running but all of the tape I've got has developed sticky shed syndrome (google it) so I can play the tapes (with a little flaking and residue coming off so I don't anymore) and hear the contents but I can't record.
    If anybody out there has a reel of 1/2" tape that I can borrow, just to test that the record function works (I'm gonna record, like, 10 seconds of guitar or something) then I know the thing works and I'll happily fork out for new tape, but at nearly €100 a pop I'm very reluctant to buy a new reel of tape in case the unit doesn't work properly and won't record. I've no reason to think it won't and soon as I'm a bit more flush I'll buy the tape but at the moment I don't have the cash to take that risk so if anyone can help me out to find out if the machines record function works I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

Bake the tapes you have left. Even if you get a new tape bake that also before you use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

have you looked at NOS BASF? its decent enough for home/hobby use but you should pick it up cheaper than 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Sham Squire

You'd be surprised. 1/4"? no problem. 1/2"? nope. Found a couple on ebay from different sellers but it always comes in at around the €100 mark. If you can point me in the direction of something cheaper I'd be very grateful. I found a UK seller that had one for £60 but wants £30 postage so even NOS comes in at around the €100 mark. Mad stuff altogether. You can get reels of 1/4" for less than €10!! Loads of it about the place.

you get some ATR from Werner

http://www.fairman.dk/p6.htm

• Advertisement

With postage and import duty your still gonna hit the same price, give or take.

peter05 wrote: »
    you get some ATR from Werner

http://www.fairman.dk/p6.htm

Thanks for the link but unless I'm missing something I'm still gonna have to spend over €100 (albeit for 8 reels). I just don't have that kind of cash at the moment. I'm surprised there's nobody out there with a reel of 1/2" I can borrow. (Not that surprised tbh)

8 pancakes versus 1 pancake. Think am missing something in your thinking. Anyways, ask windmill or temple bar would they take 7. Nobody wants to part with one in case it comes back destroyed.

Yep, you're missing the whole point of the thread. I don't have €100. It doesn't matter who'd take what if I can't afford €100, I want to test the machine, nothing's at risk it's simply going to record or it won't.

and sham i think you're missing the point of our replies. nobody is going to hand over a 1/2 tape for testing to anybody unless they know them, tape can be destroyed in a few seconds very easily.

the people that use them need to keep them because they're harder and harder to get. and the people that dont use them either never had them or sold them onto those that use them.

its a catch 22. you may get lucky with an old reel that a studio has laying about the place, that isnt up to scratch for commercial use. but you'll be extremely lucky.

• Advertisement
Advertisement