Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formal Wear - Mens Suit Colour

Options
  • 21-05-2014 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭

Partner is wearing a navy and white gown.
    What colour do you think would best suit man?
    Don't want to be too 'samey'...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Addle wrote: »
    Partner is wearing a navy and white gown.
    What colour do you think would best suit man?
    Don't want to be too 'samey'...

How formal is the event? If your partner is wearing a gown I'm assuming it's black tie? Then go for a standard black tuxedo with a black hand tied bowtie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Thanks for the reply. It's a fancy wedding, but not officially black tie.
    Just using it as an excuse to get a new suit, and looking for suggestions for colour and ties.
    He's actually colour blind and I'm fashion unconscious!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

If it's not black tie then a tux will be too much. I'd recommend a charcoal grey 3 piece suit, with a white shirt and a dark but patterned tie. That's just my taste though.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Think it depends on your colouring. I'd stay clear of black, quite boring. I quite like a sharp navy suit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Either a dark grey or navy suit with a white shirt and a dark tie. Your tie could be a dark burgundy to stand out a little if you don't want to be samey.

You can't beat a good navy suit, tailored to fit your shape, black shoes, white shirt... its a timeless look. I'd recommend checking out M&S if you don't want to break the bank. TM Lewin do good shirts too (though I prefer a wider spread collar), and your tie choice is really dependant on what you want to spend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Tonic blue is popular colour right now and it goes with most things but looks well with a white shirt and contrasting patterned tie (a floral pattern is a good option for a wedding). Black is out unless its black tie, light grey is a popular wedding colour - not too harsh on the eye and looks good matched with a darker tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

If you want a really sleek look, get a mohair/wool mix in black or midnight blue. For the sake of wearability don't go for a dinner jacket [tuxedo to the Yanks] unless you have a few formals to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Thanks for the replies.
    Went for a grey suit with pale blue shirt and navy and blue tie, and he looks very dapper.

Advertisement