Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner media centre help

Options
  • 21-05-2014 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to set up my own media centre at home.
    I will be buying a Netgear NAS for file storage
    At the moment I'm trying to decide if I should buy the Rasberry PI or an android stick pc ?
    I will be looking for something that can play back movies & music and also be used as a torrent downloader.
    It would be even better if I could access my files over the internet when not at home.

I have some decentish knowledge for setting things up, but can pick things up if I have decent instructions to follow.

Can anyone offer some suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The NAS should do torrent downloads as well as a web server for remote access ..... just make sure the NAS you have in mind can provide the functions you require.

The playback device can be simple .... just able to access the files on the NAS and display them on the TV.
    With the NAS handling the rest that is apparently all you need of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

+1 above and I'd also say have a look at your files and what you want to play. Also, think about what you'll want to play in the future. If you're happy playing 720p/1080p or SD with maybe dolby digital or DTS then you'll be OK but do you think you'll want DTS-HDMA or 3D playback after a while? In those cases, then an Android stick won't really cut it.

Find out what media server your Netgear NAS supports. Can you install Plex? Plex does a decent job at transcoding content. If it's on your NAS then you're in a good position. I have a setup where I use Plex Media Server to stream my library when I'm away from home. Whle my NAS can handle PMS, I started out with a Mac Mini and installed PMS on that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Thanks for the replies.

If I'm likely to have the player a while before getting the NAS would Android or Raspberry be better ?
    Had a look at prices and I think I'll stick with my hard-drive for the moment until I see how things work with TV router etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

For a general player I saw this yesterday .... and no I have no experience of it but it looks attractive for the price .......

https://www.adverts.ie/media-players/sumvision-cyclone-micro-4-wifi-media-player-streamer-with-miracast-dlna/5391996

Advertisement