Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone own a cap and gown?

Options
  • 21-05-2014 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'll try to keep this short...My wife and I are int'l students at NUIM from the US. We both wanted to do our Master's and thought coming over here would be an enjoyable thing to do before we gave that whole parenting thing a shot. We've really loved Maynooth, our courses, and Ireland.

In the fall my wife's grandmother passed away, the distance from home and family felt much greater during this time and I know she regrets not getting to go see her before she passed.

This week her grandfather found out a previous cancer has recurred and he was given a fairly poor outlook. My wife is obviously devastated and has decided to finish her thesis remotely and move back to live with him. I think it's the right thing to do, he's still in pretty good shape now, but probably won't be by the time we had planned to return to the US in September. She's feeling like she will miss out on not having the closure of graduation and that she won't get to wear the cap and gown and get the photos and all that.

I'd really love to get a hold of a gown for her and take some pictures on campus and get together with all of our friends before she leaves (next week, May 27). I think it would mean a lot to her and it will make leaving a little easier.
    So, I've contacted the robe hire people to try to rent one, but they've yet to respond and their website doesn't even list nuim as an option. Maybe they don't have the contract anymore or something.

Since that seems like it could well be a dead-end, I'm asking the nice people of the internet if anyone may actually own one that you could lend to us? I'd be very grateful and will give you a few quid (€20?)

tl;dr - anyone own a cap and gown that i can borrow for a day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

UCFecon10 wrote: »
    So, I've contacted the robe hire people to try to rent one, but they've yet to respond and their website doesn't even list nuim as an option. Maybe they don't have the contract anymore or something.

That's strange, but all the robes for NUI universities are the same, maybe you should ask in the UCD board too?

If your stuck and want to bodge one together here is the NUI Academic Dress guide

Or you should ask in your department, I've noticed that some staff have their robes hanging in their offices. (Usually these are the PhD ones, which are red, but its not that important I guess)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

I think almost everyone rents theirs out so the hire company would be your only option. If you don't care about authenticity, you could get something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Phelan Conan's website is designed so that you can only select your college when there's actually a graduation upcoming - they do, afaik, still have the Maynooth contract, but the availability isn't on the website because the next graduations aren't until September.
    You could try ringing them, and they might be willing to come to some sort of arrangement with them.
    Alt_Grr is dead right - UCD, NUIG (I haz a dumb) UCC and Maynooth all have the same robes so you could ask on any of them whether people have robes they're willing to donate (obviously UCC and UL aren't really close enough to borrow for a day).
    I hope you get it sorted out, anyways, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

A lot of the lecturers will have their own gowns, so maybe go to the relevant department and ask there? I'm sure if they have them, they will help you out!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

How so Joe wrote: »
    Phelan Conan's website is designed so that you can only select your college when there's actually a graduation upcoming - they do, afaik, still have the Maynooth contract, but the availability isn't on the website because the next graduations aren't until September.
    You could try ringing them, and they might be willing to come to some sort of arrangement with them.
    Alt_Grr is dead right - UCD, UL, UCC and Maynooth all have the same robes so you could ask on any of them whether people have robes they're willing to donate (obviously UCC and UL aren't really close enough to borrow for a day).
    I hope you get it sorted out, anyways, OP.

I wouldn't think UL is the same as it's not in NUI. NUIG is though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Bobsammy wrote: »
    I wouldn't think UL is the same as it's not in NUI. NUIG is though.

Whoopsie. My mistake, you're obviously right!

Advertisement