Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use PC as a media server?

Options
  • 20-05-2014 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

I have a Desktop PC that i want to connect upto my TV to use as a media server and etc.

But the PC has a 550W PSU, so im wondering if i install say a less intensive linux OS will it still use a lot of power?
    Does the OS have anything to do with power consumption?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

mcw92 wrote: »
    I have a Desktop PC that i want to connect upto my TV to use as a media server and etc.

But the PC has a 550W PSU, so im wondering if i install say a less intensive linux OS will it still use a lot of power?

Thanks.

It will make very little difference, Linux could even be slightly heavier, Windows is well optimised and has lots of power saving features

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks.

I am unsure what you think is the situation or what you are getting at.

The fact that the PC has a 550W PSU does not mean it is supplying that power constantly ..... quite the opposite in fact.

Maybe you could explain why you are asking?

For a light weight media server I suggest you look at Openelec.tv ..... it will run well on low resourced hardware ... it even runs well on a Raspberry Pi!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭mcw92

I am unsure what you think is the situation or what you are getting at.

The fact that the PC has a 550W PSU does not mean it is supplying that power constantly ..... quite the opposite in fact.

Maybe you could explain why you are asking?

For a light weight media server I suggest you look at Openelec.tv ..... it will run well on low resourced hardware ... it even runs well on a Raspberry Pi!

I have a dell xps 420 pc.
    And I wish to connect it up to my tv.
    So I will be having it on alot. But I don't want it using loads electricity being constantly on.
    It has a 550w psu and 260GTX gpu, everything else is standard for the model.

I just want it to connect to my tv to watch movies/tv etc from a hard drive, Netflix and streaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

How to ye plan to control the PC from the couch?

All ye guys should really be looking at buying dedicated media players such as WDTV Live. It's worth the investment. Comes with netflix, remote control, less power consumption etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

That's a very big conspicuous setup for a media server tbh OP. I don't know what the power profile of the XPS 420 is but it'll vary depending on what tasks the machine is doing and how much of a load is on the system. Your bigger issue IMHO will be fan noise.Those bigger boxes were designed as standalone PCs so little if no attention was given to quietness etc. I'd sooner look at a light form factor like the NUC myself. You can pick up a celeron version fairly cheap which will do all it sounds like you need to do.

• Advertisement

Are you guys getting your terminologies mixed up?
    A media server does not need to sit under the TV, that would be a HTPC. A media server is a networked backend that it hides away in the attic/under the stairs that you use a light front end media player or HTPC to connect to it.

Edit: I see the thread was hijacked and not the original OP asking
    PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    How to ye plan to control the PC from the couch?

There are lots of ways, apps, mce remotes, Rii keyboards etc
    http://riiminikeyboards.com/
    All ye guys should really be looking at buying dedicated media players such as WDTV Live. It's worth the investment. Comes with netflix, remote control, less power consumption etc etc.

Lots of us prefer the unlimited options a pc gives with XBMC, the WDTV is a locked down proprietary box

Lots of us prefer the unlimited options a pc gives with XBMC, the WDTV is a locked down proprietary box

I loosely agree. The ability to run Sky Go is another major advantage to the PC option.

However for myself a PC is way too bulky and way to overspecd for a media player.

Ideally I'd prefer a micro fanless Windows PC sitting under the telly running Windows 8 but these are very very expensive.

I have a dell xps 420 pc.
    And I wish to connect it up to my tv.
    So I will be having it on alot. But I don't want it using loads electricity being constantly on.
    It has a 550w psu and 260GTX gpu, everything else is standard for the model.

I just want it to connect to my tv to watch movies/tv etc from a hard drive, Netflix and streaming.

You have a choice ...... you can connect it to the TV directly, in which case its fan noise is likely going to interfere with viewing, unless you make some arrangement for the box to be out of the room while still connected to the TV.
    (I am sitting next to an XPS 630i which is much louder than I would like)

You can use the XPS as a server box from which a client device (small and quiet) would take the feed and display it on the TV. In that case the XPS could be out of the room for quietness.

Sorry if this seems to be getting complicated, but there are so many options available these days that unless one is very certain what exactly the device/s must do, it can be difficult making a decision.

I loosely agree. The ability to run Sky Go is another major advantage to the PC option.

However for myself a PC is way too bulky and way to overspecd for a media player.

Ideally I'd prefer a micro fanless Windows PC sitting under the telly running Windows 8 but these are very very expensive.

Windows, ewwww :p Openelec is all you need, no overheads of a heavy OS.

I had a custom HTPC I built 3 years ago but the board blew so now I have an Arctic MC1001, fanless with a small SSD, the media is all on the network.
    http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-MC001-N-Passive-Cooling-Barebone-MC001-N-00-US/dp/B009Z8VWL4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Windows, ewwww :p Openelec is all you need, no overheads of a heavy OS.

I had a custom HTPC I built 3 years ago but the board blew so now I have an Arctic MC1001, fanless with a small SSD, the media is all on the network.
    http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-MC001-N-Passive-Cooling-Barebone-MC001-N-00-US/dp/B009Z8VWL4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Do Openelec support Sky Go?

• Advertisement

Do Openelec support Sky Go?

No, Sky Go is Windows only. I think there's an addon for XBMC but it's Windows only, Openelec is linux. I don't bother with Sky Go myself as i have a non Sky sat box that streams Sky channels across my network

No, Sky Go is Windows only. I think there's an addon for XBMC but it's Windows only, Openelec is linux. I don't bother with Sky Go myself as i have a non Sky sat box that streams Sky channels across my network

Sky Go does run on Apple and some Android devices also. Personally not having Sky Go is a show stopper and its inability to hook in with Netflix is a problem also.

However for a free product it certainly looks very very nice.

I guess if you are committed to Sky services then your choices differ.

I also use FTA Satellite and have no Sky service ... by deliberate choice ;)

Openelec with XBMC and a couple of twin tuner cards provides all the live TV channels on the LAN, as well as recordings, videos stored on any storage device attached to the LAN.
    In addition there are lots of plugins for film watching such as IceFilms 1Channel Movies25 and so on.

Raspberry Pi as the client device also running Openelec completes the set up nicely :)

However for a free product it certainly looks very very nice.

Openelec is just XBMC packaged into a light linux OS, it can run from a usb key and boot in 12-15 seconds. Check out XBMC and all the goodness it offers. You can run it on any platform, Windows, linux or Mac

http://xbmc.org/about/
    http://forum.xbmc.org/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Are you guys getting your terminologies mixed up?
    A media server does not need to sit under the TV, that would be a HTPC. A media server is a networked backend that it hides away in the attic/under the stairs that you use a light front end media player or HTPC to connect to it.

It can be both, I use a microserver as both a media server and HTPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭mcw92

I think I'm just going to connect the desktop to the tv, and just run media off the desktop. Can play games in it also so that's a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Thanks.
    The main issue with the bigger PC's for use as a Media device in the living room, outside of power consumption are size and moreso noise.
    These devices can be fairly noisy with the various fans in them and obviously can be bulky.
    People also tend to want to "hide" them away in enclosed spaces also which isnt great for the cooling side of things as these machines aren't designed to have restricted airflow.

The PC connected to the TV is a grand job if you have a spare one lying around.
    Miles ahead of any possible "media" player or "Smart" TV device out there as your options with it are limitless unlike most of those players and smart tv's which are exceptionally limited, especially when things change and other resources become available.

I've a Zotac Zbox under my own TV which I picked up for 100 odd Euro (barebones), put some RAM and harddrive into it and its been running there for the past 2 years or so.
    Something like this one:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ZOTAC-ZBOX-ID18-Barebone-Mini-PC-Intel-Dual-Core-1-5GHz-NM70-Express-Intel-HD-/380906177364?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item58afc70354

Best of luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

i built myself a htpc a couple of years ago. Best thing ever, swap out the fans and get some fan management sw on there to make it quieter if possible but its not that noisy. And as regards PSU, that just the amount of power it can handle. Normal usage would be prob 20% or less of that even if watching HD.

Advertisement