Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus Leaking oil into Turbo

Options
  • 19-05-2014 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

My 2008 1.6TDI failed the NCT on smoke at a reading of 3.7.
    I was recommended to use dipetane which i will be starting tomorrow.
    Upon closer Inspection of the engine it seems that there is a large amount of oil creping from the engine head and into the breather pipe.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭conrad9900

the oil then seems to be entering the turbo air intake and creating the smoke.
    my question is wht can stop the oil from entering the breather pipe, there is no valve or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

conrad9900 wrote: »
    the oil then seems to be entering the turbo air intake and creating the smoke.
    my question is wht can stop the oil from entering the breather pipe, there is no valve or anything?

There is a valve on in the top of the rocker cover that gets stuck open and causes this problem ive replaced a few rocker covers for the same problem.

Is your air filter covered in oil may be the cause of your high emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

thing caused failure for neighbour with C-Max was dirty diesel,used different supplier with branded dsl and passed smoke test.
    is there a blow of any description when you remove oil filler, with oil cap off check for a hissing sound which may be coming from injectors seating. this would pressurize engine oil ,or if faulty engine valve but running would be erratic and noticeable
    i had similar oil in intake pipe to tubo in 08 avensis but despite appearance it was coming from turbo not engine ,replaced turbo. when stopping car do you let engine idle for a few minutes first before turning off key, if not that could leave oil traces in turbo intake but not enough to cause smoke.

my apologies for long list.

There is a valve on in the top of the rocker cover that gets stuck open and causes this problem ive replaced a few rocker covers for the same problem.

Is your air filter covered in oil may be the cause of your high emissions.

i opened the black round cap just beside the breather pipe which seemed like it would house a valve but it seemed like it was doing nothing. i havent checked the air filter yet. the car is running smooth. the injectors sometimes misfire but i think there may be carbon build up which the dipetane should fix.

i opened the black round cap just beside the breather pipe which seemed like it would house a valve but it seemed like it was doing nothing. i havent checked the air filter yet. the car is running smooth. the injectors sometimes misfire but i think there may be carbon build up which the dipetane should fix.

Look in the hole for the breather pipe and you will see the valve chances are its out of place.

• Advertisement

Look in the hole for the breather pipe and you will see the valve chances are its out of place.

when i take the breather pipe off i can see a spring which dosent seem to do very much and i can just see all the way over to the other side of the engine head. its hard to know what it should look like

when i take the breather pipe off i can see a spring which dosent seem to do very much and i can just see all the way over to the other side of the engine head. its hard to know what it should look like

That spring is part of the valve setup.

Check is that pipe full of oil if it is make sure its not over filled with oil chances are that valve is leaking.

That spring is part of the valve setup.

Check is that pipe full of oil if it is make sure its not over filled with oil chances are that valve is leaking.

will do thanks for the tips..should dipetane still pass me in the NCT?

will do thanks for the tips..should dipetane still pass me in the NCT?

It wont do any harm anyway check your air filter chances are there is oil in there.

Get yourself a tin of air intake cleaner and clean out the intake system should do the trick thats what we usually do with them.

There is not much else really gives trouble with them to cause high emissions.

It wont do any harm anyway check your air filter chances are there is oil in there.

Get yourself a tin of air intake cleaner and clean out the intake system should do the trick thats what we usually do with them.

There is not much else really gives trouble with them to cause high emissions.

UPDATE: checked the air filter and there is a small bit of oil stain pooled at the bottom and soaked into the fabric. what is the best approach as cleaning the pipes will just be a temporary fix until the oil leaks in again...

Someone suggested that there may be too much oil in the car and it is splashing up into the breather.

• Advertisement

UPDATE: checked the air filter and there is a small bit of oil stain pooled at the bottom and soaked into the fabric. what is the best approach as cleaning the pipes will just be a temporary fix until the oil leaks in again...

Someone suggested that there may be too much oil in the car and it is splashing up into the breather.

Air intake cleaner get someone to rev it up to about 2000/2500 rpm squirt the intake cleaner into the turbo in short bursts that will clean the pipes and intercooler.

Air intake cleaner get someone to rev it up to about 2000/2500 rpm squirt the intake cleaner into the turbo in short bursts that will clean the pipes and intercooler.

yes it will clean the pipes from the turbo onwards, but oil will still get to the turbo from the breather

please check this post where i have pictures posted

focusfanatics/forum/showthread.php?p=6120762#post6120762

just place a www and a .com after focusfanatics as i am not allowed post links or photos here

yes it will clean the pipes from the turbo onwards, but oil will still get to the turbo from the breather

please check this post where i have pictures posted

focusfanatics/forum/showthread.php?p=6120762#post6120762

just place a www and a .com after focusfanatics as i am not allowed post links or photos here

Im on my phone so cant go onto that.

As i told you last night if you have excessive oil in your intake pipe then the valve in the rocker cover is faulty.
    Have you checked the oil level ??

Im on my phone so cant go onto that.

As i told you last night if you have excessive oil in your intake pipe then the valve in the rocker cover is faulty.
    Have you checked the oil level ??

i have and it is quite full.. im going to release some oil tommorow, try and chek that valve and clean all the pipes leading to and from the turbo

i have and it is quite full.. im going to release some oil tommorow, try and chek that valve and clean all the pipes leading to and from the turbo

About three and a half litres is all it takes if your not replacing the filter if you are then 3.8 ltrs do that clean the intake and it should get you through as long as there are no other faults.

Advertisement