Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to do Primary Teaching?

Options
  • 19-05-2014 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all!
    So I am very eager to become a primary school teacher. However, I am currently doing OL Irish and I am aware that unfortunately that wont help for getting into a teaching college such as Mary Immaculate. Once I finish my LC in two weeks, I plan to do Arts with Children's Studies in NUIG. Then, once that is completed I can go to Mary I and do a postgrad course in teaching. But, if I don't get the points for Art's with children's studies, I plan on doing just plain arts and then going back as a postgrad to do Children's studies. Again, Irish is my main issue so I've decided to do a two years part time Irish course in Nuig where I will hopefully receive a diploma in Irish.
    But I'm just unsure about this plan. What do ye think? Will it be enough? Will I still be able to become a teacher? I'm worried that I wont get a job as I will be competing against students who have been doing HL Irish all through secondary school and have gone straight to Mary I. Do postgrad students still get the same opportunities to teach? Will the diploma in Irish be enough? They accept the diploma in Mary I but I'm still worried it wont be considered ' smart ' enough. I'm also worried that I wont be as ' well educated ' :/ This may sound silly but all help and advice will be much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would not worry too much about the Irish requirement once the diploma is accepted in lieu of lec irish.
    What I would think about is what would separate you from the other candidates?
    There are more teachers then jobs at the moment so you need to stand out from all the other grads.
    Do you play a sport? Do you play a musical instrument? Have you got IT skills? all of these will set you apart from other candidates.
    Good Luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jade104

Thank you for your help! :)
    Unfortunately, I have never learned to play an instrument but as soon as the lc is over, I am going to take up piano lessons. I am 17 and fully aware that it's a little late to be starting but who knows, I may be a quick learner and have always had good patience with things. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Jade104 wrote: »
    Thank you for your help! :)
    Unfortunately, I have never learned to play an instrument but as soon as the lc is over, I am going to take up piano lessons. I am 17 and fully aware that it's a little late to be starting but who knows, I may be a quick learner and have always had good patience with things. :)
    17 is not too late to start learning the piano. I'm 33 and just did my grade three exams. As long as you practice you will make steady progress :)

Advertisement