Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lazy/undisciplined/easily distracted writer – tips?

Options
  • 19-05-2014 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

So I've started getting "serious" about writing (mostly poetry) over the last year or two, and have written a few things that I'm quite happy with. I've submitted a few poems to various journals, though have not had any accepted yet (I've not grown discouraged, though!).

I tend to get something written by accident usually—I will get some inspiration randomly, and end up writing a poem then. But while that might be a good thing in some ways, the problem is that it doesn't happen all that often, and so I'm not building up much of a body of work, and am submitting the same stuff regularly.

I also tend to get distracted quite easily, particularly if I'm working on my laptop. I have a million things that I want to work on (not just writing), and so I tend to do little bits of each of them (and then check Facebook/Twitter!). I find it quite frustrating at times that I can't focus on getting one thing finished.

I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar temperament, and has any tips?

Also – I'm going abroad quite soon, on my own, for at least a month. This is mostly to spend some time with my thoughts and try and find some inspiration, avoid distractions, etc. I won't be travelling around much, just going to a really nice city that I've never been :) I'm hoping that I'll be able to knuckle down there and be overwhelmed with ideas, and will come back with about 20 poems/songs written! Is that likely?

I think I need to come up with some targets/goals, e.g. write at least 4 poems per week. Does that tend to work?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭donalh087

Oh Please, is every writer not like this?

The trip abroad is a very good idea. I had a residency in Lisbon last winter and my productivity was huge. I think the fact that everything is so different jolts you into creativity. Particularly good, I would imagine, for a poet.

How many poems in a slim collection? About 60? You have 20 weeks until the end of September, that is 3 poems per week to give you a collection that captures the summer of 2014. That's cool. Do that.

Also, join https://ohlife.com/ and diligently keep a writing diary. Even if it is only a few words a day. It forces you to reflect on each day and can motivate you or give you an early warning flag to wasting time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thanks for that :) I've joined ohlife, pretty cool/simple idea for a website. I obviously have a lot on my mind today, because I had a big enough first post!

Ironically I posted this thread after having written a decent poem the previous day, and then I wrote another one yesterday evening—so I've had the most productive few days in a long time! :D

3 poems per week is challenging, but probably manageable... hmmm

I've just read a book by Bill Bryson about the summer of 1927 in the U.S. Now, a lot of things happened that summer but I'm sure you could equally look at many other times and places. You could set out your new collection in three sections as the months go by.

It could be really interesting to do a collection of poems that are distinctly set in a time and a place. Tie in with an artistic photographer and you could have a really lovely book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

How anonymous is that Ohlife thing?

Hopefully completely anonymous!!

• Advertisement

I actually think it's a great idea. I find it very hard to just sit down and plan the plot, characters, so on, and this would force me to do that.

BTW, my grammer and syntax is not as bad as it is on the internet. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

I think being lazy is endemic with writers for a couple of reasons, but mostly it comes down to standards. You end up thinking about the feeling of what you're thinking about writing, instead of writing it. More time pondering the particulars of inconsequential stuff, when you could be working on your project.

What I found helped me was getting more physically active - I started training power with the weights, increased my Parkour training, and started becoming more disciplined with my time i.e. I'd set time to play computer games, watch TV series/DVD's, play guitar, write, draw etc. Regardless of my mood, or my feeling of skill at that time, I'd just do it.

I started a blog (two in fact), so when I wasn't in the mood to create, I would just review my training, or discuss my random thoughts. Since making these changes I spend less time thinking about what I would maybe possibly consider as an interesting idea to contemplate working on, I just do it.

This is a stark change for me, as I would always have been like yourself...easily distracted, and ending up quite frustrated. Now all of my projects are moving on with substantial pace, and my head is in a good place. I'm sure this will change (doesn't it always), but for now I shall revel in the productivity.

If you can, give it a try - for me I found it made me more regimented, and that boosted my creativity by providing constraints, making me use it in a variety of different ways, as well as improving overall skill in a number of different areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Oh Dave, I wish I knew too. I find myself becoming ever more lazy over the last few months. For example I know I have to leave the house in an hour and I should be writing but what am I at- Boards!

I think the problem for me was that because I trained as a journalist and now have given up, I don't 'have' to write anymore. I'll admit over the last year or two it became a bit of a chore.

I wish I knew how to get out of this slump :(

IT's really strange isn't it? I love writing, but it takes a weird amount of effort to start.

Also, I'm stuck at 600 words per session (1 per day) :(

Although, I did find a few things that help me to write and, I believe, improves my writing skill. One, is making a three act structure for each chapter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

600 words is way better than what I'm doing at the moment! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Dave! wrote:
    I also tend to get distracted quite easily, particularly if I'm working on my laptop. I have a million things that I want to work on (not just writing), and so I tend to do little bits of each of them (and then check Facebook/Twitter!). I find it quite frustrating at times that I can't focus on getting one thing finished.

I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar temperament, and has any tips?
    Temperament yes, tips ... no! :(

I wouldn't consider myself a "writer" at all even though I used to enjoy doing creative essays in school, got a few letters published in "Junior Press" (that's going back a while) and had one or two read out on RTE.

But ...
    Inari wrote: »
    What I found helped me was getting more physically active .... Since making these changes I spend less time thinking about what I would maybe possibly consider as an interesting idea to contemplate working on, I just do it.
    ... having spent an intense couple of weeks almost entirely on the computer, I took a pickaxe to the shed floor (long overdue project) and suddenly there's a story in my head made up of bits that have been knocking around for years. All that stuff they mean when they say write about what you know ... :o

My problem at the moment is that I can hear the narrative and dialogue while I'm wielding the pick and shovel, but by the time I get to the keyboard, it's all gone and I'm frantically trying to get the main outline down before it disappears ... or I get distracted by something else. I came on here tonight to ask if anyone else had the same trouble! :pac:

(And of course I am supposed to be working on something completely different this week, not digging floors and writing stories ... :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

I suggest dream journalling, I find if I get a good dream I want to write it down as quick and there's more of an incentive to do it then before you lose any details and then carry on with 'productive' writing, although old 50 words a day me can't really talk

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LolaJayne

Hi Dave.

I don't have a massive amount of advice. I know what its like though, sit down to write, suddenly its most important I check my emails or go smoke a cigarette or something equally pointless.

The way I usually combat that is by visualising how I will feel when I have that particular project finished and just keep working towards it the best I can, 15mins left on a deadline, usually gives a good kick up the **** too!

Good luck with your writing, I hope you find some inspiration on your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Warrior Monk

Jonathan Franzen (author of the Corrections and Freedom) finds a quiet place to go. He borrowed a friend's holiday home to write Freedom. Then he took a screwdriver to his laptop's modem and telephone line input so that it was impossible for him to go online.

I know this is a bit severe cus you'll want internet access at some point in the future but it demonstrates how important it is that that particular renowned author to remove the distraction of the internet.

Alternatively, try meditation and exercise. Both help to focus the mind.

Advertisement