Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good Mechanic Dublin replace steering rack.

Options
  • 19-05-2014 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi I have an Audi A3 1.9tdi 2006. Having failed the NCT due to steering coordination, i brought the car to Audi to see about the issue. Turns out I need a new steering rack. They quoted me over 3000 first, but on good will something like 2300 + 189 for a service.
    I don't have a full audi service history, as i bought the car privately a year ago which seemed like a good deal at the time. Oh boy was I caught!!!! Audi Ireland basically told me why did you buy and audi if you can't afford to fix it... the cost to fix is half the value of the car... but anyways here I am....

Anyways. long story short, Traynors up the north have the part, quoting me £125.
    My problem is, i need a good mechanic, that is used to dealing with electrics and newer cars and would be able to put it in for me at a reasonable cost.
    I have heard of a guy in Kenilworth Sq, Rathmines D6, Masood maybe? He is meant to be amazing with electrics and very very reasonable. Anyone know him? Or have any experience in this area?
    I need to get it looked sooner rather than later, NCT is just out, and there is no way I will pass without the replacement.
    The whole thing is turning into a nightmare..... Audi's NEVER AGAIN!!!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

jenjoeful wrote: »
    Hi I have an Audi A3 1.9tdi 2006. Having failed the NCT due to steering coordination, i brought the car to Audi to see about the issue. Turns out I need a new steering rack. They quoted me over 3000 first, but on good will something like 2300 + 189 for a service.
    I don't have a full audi service history, as i bought the car privately a year ago which seemed like a good deal at the time. Oh boy was I caught!!!! Audi Ireland basically told me why did you buy and audi if you can't afford to fix it... the cost to fix is half the value of the car... but anyways here I am....

Anyways. long story short, Traynors up the north have the part, quoting me £125.
    My problem is, i need a good mechanic, that is used to dealing with electrics and newer cars and would be able to put it in for me at a reasonable cost.
    I have heard of a guy in Kenilworth Sq, Rathmines D6, Masood maybe? He is meant to be amazing with electrics and very very reasonable. Anyone know him? Or have any experience in this area?
    I need to get it looked sooner rather than later, NCT is just out, and there is no way I will pass without the replacement.
    The whole thing is turning into a nightmare..... Audi's NEVER AGAIN!!!

Thanks in advance

Same thing happened on my Octavia.

I fitted a steering rack from an Audi to it and also got it from Traynors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

My mechanic is fairly handy with that kind of thing, any big big work i need done on my car I hand it to him and it's done the next day, he's more than competent, anyways, pm me if you want his number, He's a mobile mechanic so he can do it in situ or tow it away if it needs be

Advertisement