Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitored alarm - no call after activation

Options
  • 19-05-2014 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone can help with advice on this. We have a monitored alarm system, or so we think. Twice recently it was triggered and we received no call. We contacted the installer as it's the only contact details we have and we got some speel about needing a service etc

I've done a walk test to check all sensors, the phone account connected with it is fully topped up and there are no alerts showing. The installer suggested setting off the panic alarm for "peace of mind" which I did. I let it ring for over minute and again we got no call.

Am I correct in thinking we are paying for a service we're not getting or do monitoring companies only call I'm certain circumstances? Which I thought the panic alarm would be one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Which company monitor it? Have they ever received a transmission from your alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I know when I was looking into getting a monitored alarm, most companies said that they would only take action if they received at least 2 triggers. And some had slightly more complex criteria.
    I would imagine that he Panic button would always warrant a response though.
    I'd say contact the company you are paying and ask them what criteria trigger a call.

Assuming the tests you have carried out meet these criteria, I would then question if they have record of the triggering, and why no calls had been made in these instances

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I know when I was looking into getting a monitored alarm, most companies said that they would only take action if they received at least 2 triggers. And some had slightly more complex criteria.
    I would imagine that he Panic button would always warrant a response though.
    I'd say contact the company you are paying and ask them what criteria trigger a call.

Assuming the tests you have carried out meet these criteria, I would then question if they have record of the triggering, and why no calls had been made in these instances

Keyholders are notified on the first activation, gardai are notified if a second zone activates after the first (verified alarm). Gardai are notified if a panic is activated.

My guess is that there's a problem with the sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Thanks everyone for the response, got it sorted and now have the details of the monitoring service.

They reset the service this afternoon and another panic test this evening was responded to

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Curious?:confused:
    Are you paying a service ,maintenance & monitoring fee. If so the system should be getting serviced regularly. It should also have an auto test programmed to call the station daily to check comms is OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

KoolKid wrote: »
    Curious?:confused:
    Are you paying a service ,maintenance & monitoring fee. If so the system should be getting serviced regularly. It should also have an auto test programmed to call the station daily to check comms is OK.

It's a monitoring fee, the system does send a test message each day as I can see the log online. Part of me wonders why suddenly the monitoring worked today after a call questioning the same when nothing was changed with the alarm. . . .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

They should be contacting you after a couple of missing test calls.

Advertisement