Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock of ages suitability for a nine year old?

Options
  • 19-05-2014 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Thinking of bringing the all singing all dancing nine year old to ROA in the BGT - keep that on the QT ;)

Can't recall from the movie if it might be unsuitable. Anyone seen the show?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

OU812 wrote: »
    Thinking of bringing the all singing all dancing nine year old to ROA in the BGT - keep that on the QT ;)

Can't recall from the movie if it might be unsuitable. Anyone seen the show?

The movie is classified 12A. I've seen the show and it's not the same story line but I'm not sure I'd bring a 9 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I don't think I would bring a 9-year old to it. I remember the stage show being raunchier than the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I don't think this is selling too well. Wanted to get tickets for it about ten rows back but they're still selling row D on a Saturday night (best available)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

It doesn't open until September, that's plenty of time. It doesn't have the same excitement status that the Lion King or Wicked generated but once they put posters up it'll sell most of it's tickets I'm sure. It's not a huge run.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

The stage show is very raunchy with lots of sexual references, scantily clad females pole dancing, bad language. I wouldn't bring a 9 year old to it. Having said that I've seen kids younger than 9 at the London show and most of it went above their heads and they just loved the music.

The stage show is brilliant, completely different to the movie which was a pile of crap.

Not really surprised it's not selling too well. €50 is quite pricy for stalls seats (where you really need to sit for this type of show). Might get a cheapie €20 gods ticket for a mid week matinee and chance getting a free upgrade.

I do wish the GCT would have a standby system for selling off unsold seats on the evening of performance rather than leaving them empty and getting nothing for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I couldn't agree more.

I've been priced out of many a musical in the last couple of years. It's just such a pricey evening out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

My tickets for this arrived yesterday. I can not wait!!!

I saw this show in London and it was incredible.

Was there tonight, the show is definitely NOT child friendly. Way more raunchy than I remember it. Quite a few children there too.

Overall I was disappointed with the show. First and biggest problem is the theatre. It's a show that needs aisles, almost any other venue in Dublin would have suited it better. It was at most 2/3 full but given the theatre's own offer last week of tickets for €18 instead of €40 I would expect a large proportion of sales were discounted. Mine certainly were.

Casting is a bit off but I loved Noel Sullivan's vocals, seriously impressive. Tech was dire, sound was poor as is the norm with that theatre but lighting was way off too. The fixed and follow spots were all over the place.

Act 1 dragged and was weak, Act 2 was like another show, miles better.

I saw this show in the West End and loved every cheesy minute of it. They rocked in the aisles and the audience rocked too. We were given fake cigarette lighters to wave during the power ballads, and the ushers sold beer in the aisles. Tonight, hundreds of people sat rigidly still in long lines of seats while watching a mediocre show. Glad I only paid €18 for my ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

That's disappointing to read. The fake cigarette lighters they gave out in the Shaftesbury was discontinued a number of months into the run. Both the Shaftesbury and Garrick were perfect theatres for this due to their size, there was a really nice intimacy to them, they had aisles, they sold beer and there was a real genuine love of the audience for the show, almost a cult following. It was an amazing feel good cheesy show.

While structurally the GCT is impressive, most shows I've been to there have been disappointingly staged. Bad lighting, sound issues etc. It's not possible to develop a level of intimacy with the audience in a theatre of that size.

Was there a large attendance, given that the tickets were heavily discounted?

Some of the tour cast were in the west end cast when it closed. The Sherrie was (she was u/s there but got to go on quite a lot), the Franz was (again u/s but got quite a few shows), the Justice was and the Dennis was.

Without audience involvement and a level of intimacy a show like this falls flat on its face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Just in & the answer to my original question is No, absolutely not suitable... Far raunchier than the movie & the strippers gyrating all the way through it would have been totally unsuitable.

Verdict for the sow - absolutely fantastic. Great production, cracking songs, brilliant performances. - late 80s/early 90s really was the golden age of rock music.

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »
    Just in & the answer to my original question is No, absolutely not suitable... Far raunchier than the movie & the strippers gyrating all the way through it would have been totally unsuitable.

Verdict for the sow - absolutely fantastic. Great production, cracking songs, brilliant performances. - late 80s/early 90s really was the golden age of rock music.

I was there again tonight, won tickets. Totally different show, they raised their game big time since Monday. Still think Sherrie is miscast but loved the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I saw this on Monday, and again on Friday (abundance of tickets). Monday was a little iffy in parts, the sound wasn't quite there. Friday was a whole different ball game. I thoroughly enjoyed it, the production was good, and I thought everyone had great voices. The two leads (Drew and Sherrie) had amazing vocal controls. Last time I saw it was about two years ago on Broadway... this production was actually so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Saw this on Saturday and thought it was incredible (even better then when I saw it in London)

Certain parts brought me to thinking about this thread!! It really is quite explicit (raunchy) in parts and is certainly not for a 9 year old imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dublin3344

...i'd have to agree with athtrasna..I went to see it on Friday and it's a bit of a mess...there's a few nice touches but weak overall..

Advertisement