Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50GB Free Dropbox - Question

Options
  • 19-05-2014 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I got an s3 coming up on 2 years, got my 50 GB free dropbox storage for backing up photos etc.

Fast forward to today, and i've received a brand new Samsung S3 through my insurance, dropped original phone. It is saying that i can claim 50GB free for two years again.

Before i put in my existing dropbox account details and login, will it already tell me that i have used it? or should i set up a new account?

What i am asking is , does anyone know can i claim it for a second time on the existing account i used it on?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I didn't get any new space or an extension on my free space when upgrading to an S4 after a year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I didn't get any new space or an extension on my free space when upgrading to an S4 after a year

Was it an offer on the s4 also?

Im thinking if i associate a new email address will i get the 50 GB

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You won't be able to combine the two accounts if you go that route and you will be charged after the 2 year period.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

You won't be able to combine the two accounts if you go that route and you will be charged after the 2 year period.

Yeah i put in my new email address to see if it would trigger another 2 year free 50GB but it doesn't seem to have. That offer must have expired

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

BKWDR wrote: »
    Yeah i put in my new email address to see if it would trigger another 2 year free 50GB but it doesn't seem to have. That offer must have expired

I got the same offer on my S3, when I upgraded to the S4, although it did come with the same offer, nothing was ever added to my account and the expiry date remained the same.

So, nearly 2 years on, and my 50GB about to expire, I upgraded to the S5, but same issue as the S4, the offer is there, but doesn't apply to my account.

Hopefully I can apply it once the current 2 year run is over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

If you use a new email address it works but as mentioned thats no good to you if you already have an account.

If you use a new email address it works but as mentioned thats no good to you if you already have an account.

Didnt seem to work for me at all...2 GB is whats on it when i use a new email ... ah well!

At the end of the 48GB free bit they increased my limit to 11GB Free anyways so il just download curernt and start a fresh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

BKWDR wrote: »
    Didnt seem to work for me at all...2 GB is whats on it when i use a new email ... ah well!

At the end of the 48GB free bit they increased my limit to 11GB Free anyways so il just download curernt and start a fresh!

Ah thats a pity. I did it on my mums phone around a week ago and entered her email and she got 50GB. There were a few tasks you had to do after you logged in, link a folder to another account etc, but she got the 50 at the end of it though!
    Have a look in the account again in case you missed the page with the tasks.

Ah thats a pity. I did it on my mums phone around a week ago and entered her email and she got 50GB. There were a few tasks you had to do after you logged in, link a folder to another account etc, but she got the 50 at the end of it though!
    Have a look in the account again in case you missed the page with the tasks.

Will muck about with it when i get home on the laptop so. THanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

I'm in a similar position. My drobbox is about to run out. The options are pay €99 per year for 100gb storage or move to another provider. What is the best free dropbox like alternative out there (i.e. syncs with a folder on your pc & automatic upload of photos).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

touts wrote: »
    I'm in a similar position. My drobbox is about to run out. The options are pay €99 per year for 100gb storage or move to another provider. What is the best free dropbox like alternative out there (i.e. syncs with a folder on your pc & automatic upload of photos).

I'm in the same situation, mine is about to run out and I've to move a collection of family photos. €9.99 per month for 100Gb on Dropbox is a little Irish when Google is only $1.99 per month

Has everyone else gotten the email saying they are being given 11GB for their allowance? 11GB aint to be laughed at in fairness!

Also, i tried just downloading my Camera Uploads folder through the web interface and it only got as far as 2GB and then stopped!? Is there a limit on how much you can download? Im using 14GB in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

i was in same scenario , i just registered a new email , copied my dropbox folder to ordinary folder on laptop, uninstalled from laptop and logged out on phone , followed the steps to get the extra 48gb , got them, then just copied what i had before into new dropbox folder and log in on phone with new email address, back to 50gb for another 2 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

puddles22 wrote: »
    i was in same scenario , i just registered a new email , copied my dropbox folder to ordinary folder on laptop, uninstalled from laptop and logged out on phone , followed the steps to get the extra 48gb , got them, then just copied what i had before into new dropbox folder and log in on phone with new email address, back to 50gb for another 2 years

So you had to upload everything again to a new account. This won't be possible for me, I'm going to move everything to Google Drive, there are cloud services that offer this migration

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I have got the notification too that its now close to the 2 years and I am using around 40GB on my Dropbox. Camera sync is the main thing for me and to be able to randomly share files out to customers etc.

Considering Google Drive just dropped by so much I am hastened to pay €100 for a year as I would hope Dropbox need to follow and do a price drop too.

The one great thing about Dropbox is the camera sync as it works so well. Google make you go through Google+ to sync photos and I don't want that. Other alternative is Skydrive/Onedrive as their camera sync is OK. They have 100GB for €37 per year.

All in all, Dropbox is extremely pricey compared to the competition. Think this is going to catch up on them. If Google Drive did the seamless camera sync to my Google Drive then would go with that but for now using Skydrive and Dropbox for camera sync till I decide.

No way interested in setting up new account and re-syncing etc. Would rather easier way... or lower price from Dropbox!

Advertisement