Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile friendly website design software

Options
  • 19-05-2014 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi ,
    Can anyone suggest a free or low cost package for creating a simple website with good mobile friendly solutions.
    I have a small website and want to change it/update it to a mobile version

I would like to have drop down /sliding menus ,zoom on tap,etc

Netbeans looks a little complicated and thats just trying to choose which version to download ???
    Should I stick with this? If so , which version ? IDE ,JE, JS
    Many of the other packages seem to be monthly subscription for a year

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What did you use in the past to develop your site? Pretty much any IDE can be used to put together a mobile friendly website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

have a look at foundation css frame work

I used it to create a mobile friendly version of a club website that I run and it was fairly painless

http://foundation.zurb.com/

another one is bootstrap
    http://getbootstrap.com/2.3.2/

the advantages of these are that they have alot of documentation in them

Its not exactly what you are looking for but it is a good way to go about it

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭akagaby

Use foundation :)
    Its the best responsive framework :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Robbie71 wrote: »
    Hi ,
    Can anyone suggest a free or low cost package for creating a simple website with good mobile friendly solutions.
    I have a small website and want to change it/update it to a mobile version

I would like to have drop down /sliding menus ,zoom on tap,etc

Netbeans looks a little complicated and thats just trying to choose which version to download ???
    Should I stick with this? If so , which version ? IDE ,JE, JS
    Many of the other packages seem to be monthly subscription for a year

Thanks
    Sorry for previous comment it is a bit beyond what you wanted.

Tell us about the site, is it html? is the a cms? if so which one?

have a look at notepad++ it is a just a fancy text editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Most hosting packages have website builder or similar included, else if you are familiar with html and css then a text editor.
    If you have hosting check if it has WordPress installer (change default names for security). WordPress is free but you will need to set aside time to set it up properly, so unless you value your time at zero it is not really free either.
    In general dropdown and slider menus are not mobile friendly.
    And as for most things if it is cheap or free that is exactly what it is worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 d1sc0d3v1l

Just to be nitpicky, sheesh's link is to the old version of bootstrap, it's relevant to point out there's a newer version 3.x and it's been overhauled and aimed at mobile responsiveness. They don't make it overly clear on that page.

jQuery Mobile might be worth a look if you want loads of menu options etc., though I'm a bootstrap fan myself. There are any number of frameworks out there, but as mentioned already, stick to the bigger brands for the documentation (bootstrap's being a great example).

The IDE shouldn't really matter too much. As mentioned Notepad++ is great, I use it everyday, that said I also use Dreamweaver when in full swing for its various features.

Good Luck!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

OP go and have a look at Macaw for Mac/Windows.

It's a fairly nice looking web design tool that allows you to draw your responsive web designs while it writes the html and css for you in the background.

It's not free ($99 - $179) but there is a 30 day trial available http://macaw.co

Advertisement